View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:20 am 
Ive been having this odd issue with my setup. I have my main backend box in closet and then have frontend Shuttle box in my entertainment center. After a couple days of running the frontend will max out its ram and stay maxed. I have a gig in the box and after a fresh reboot it usually sits at about maybe 60% and then out of nowhere it will jump to 99% and stay there. The box still functions correctly when recording/watching recordings but I have my DVD collection on it on a second hard drive. When I load up a movie it will play but I have no control at all. The remote is basically dead until it finishes. I VNC'ed into the box and tried to control via keyboard and again it was uncontrollable. I thought it might be the theme but it is happening on any theme I select. Anyone else run into this?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:06 am 
goaliemanpat wrote:
Ive been having this odd issue with my setup. I have my main backend box in closet and then have frontend Shuttle box in my entertainment center. After a couple days of running the frontend will max out its ram and stay maxed. I have a gig in the box and after a fresh reboot it usually sits at about maybe 60% and then out of nowhere it will jump to 99% and stay there.
What tools are you using to determine your RAM usage? Be aware that Linux "grabs" a lot of your memory for buffers and caching (see http://aplawrence.com/Bofcusm/2118.html for an explanation of the interpretation of free, for example)

goaliemanpat wrote:
The box still functions correctly when recording/watching recordings but I have my DVD collection on it on a second hard drive. When I load up a movie it will play but I have no control at all. The remote is basically dead until it finishes. I VNC'ed into the box and tried to control via keyboard and again it was uncontrollable. I thought it might be the theme but it is happening on any theme I select. Anyone else run into this?
What is your DVD player command set to? I seem to recall others having this problem (not memory related, BTW, some module issue IIRC), check tjc's Hints thread for your unstated version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:10 am 
Can you load up a movie immediately after a reboot and have control of it normally when the ram doesn't look maxed out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:13 pm 
Quote:
What tools are you using to determine your RAM usage?

I am looking at the System Status page in KM

Quote:
What is your DVD player command set to?

Im not using the actual DVD player. I just backup my movies on my PC and move them over to the KM BE. What setting should I look to have it at? My box only has a standard CD rom in it.

Quote:
Can you load up a movie immediately after a reboot and have control of it normally when the ram doesn't look maxed out?

Yes. It will all function normally for a couple days to a week and then randomly stop working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:09 pm 
First off, which version of KM are you using?

What type of drive houses your videos? Do you use that drive for anything else? What filesystem are you using on it?

goaliemanpat wrote:
Quote:
What tools are you using to determine your RAM usage?

I am looking at the System Status page in KM
Don't know what the status page uses to determine RAM usage.

goaliemanpat wrote:
Quote:
What is your DVD player command set to?

Im not using the actual DVD player. I just backup my movies on my PC and move them over to the KM BE. What setting should I look to have it at? My box only has a standard CD rom in it.
OK, then what is your player command for Watch Videos (assuming this is how you access these movies)?

goaliemanpat wrote:
Quote:

Yes. It will all function normally for a couple days to a week and then randomly stop working.
Next time this happens, ssh into the box and check the output of free and top. Also note at that time whether the ssh session is sluggish/unresponsive.