View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Restore boot up splash
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:46 pm 
Hi,

I recently added my / root partition to a raid 1 array and in doing so I had to change the initrd/linuxrc file to mount /dev/md0 instead of /dev/sda1. Since doing so I have lost my boot up splash and I get this error message on a normal black screen boot up.
Suspend2 2.2.8.4: You need to use a resume2= command line parameter to tell Suspend2 where to look for an image.
Suspend2 2.2.8.4: Resume2 parameter is empty. Suspending will be disabled.
Suspend2 2.2.8.4: Missing or invalid storage location (resume2= parameter). Please correct and rerun lilo (or equivalent) before suspending.
ACPI Exception (acpi_processor-0681): AE_NOT_FOUND, Processor Device is not present [20060707]
ACPI: Getting cpuindex for acpiid 0x1

Then no other messages are shown before X windows takes over.
I'm not sure if this message has always been there or if it is the thing that is stopping the splash screen from displaying.

Any help/ideas on how to get my splash working again would be great.
than ks
munga

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:01 pm 
/usr/local/bin/config_bootsplash.sh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:21 pm 
tjc wrote:
/usr/local/bin/config_bootsplash.sh

ls: /usr/local/bin/config_bootsplash.sh: No such file or directory

I'm using KnoppMyth version:
R5E50

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:46 pm 
Lack of details in the question will generally result in less than useful answers... ;-)

Search /usr/local/bin for another script whose name includes the word "splash". Possibly "/usr/local/bin/add_bootsplash.sh" but maybe something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:08 pm 
tjc wrote:
Lack of details in the question will generally result in less than useful answers... ;-)

Search /usr/local/bin for another script whose name includes the word "splash". Possibly "/usr/local/bin/add_bootsplash.sh" but maybe something else.

Thanks tjc :) , I found it after I had already put the post up and it was add_bootsplash.sh. I've just been waiting for my system to boot back up again. One disturbing thing is that when I hit F2 the system output still stops at;
So I have know way of telling if my system is this booting up or is hung. Any ideas?

munga

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:33 pm 
munga wrote:
Thanks tjc :) , I found it after I had already put the post up and it was add_bootsplash.sh. I've just been waiting for my system to boot back up again. One disturbing thing is that when I hit F2 the system output still stops at;
So I have know way of telling if my system is this booting up or is hung. Any ideas?

munga
What is prompting you to press F2? That sounds like a problem with the configuration of your BIOS, you may want to share your hardware configuration in case others have run into the same issue.

BTW, a Google for "ACPI Exception (acpi_processor-0681): AE_NOT_FOUND, Processor Device is not present [20060707]" yields MANY hits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:45 pm 
slowtolearn wrote:
munga wrote:

munga
What is prompting you to press F2? That sounds like a problem with the configuration of your BIOS, you may want to share your hardware configuration in case others have run into the same issue.

BTW, a Google for "ACPI Exception (acpi_processor-0681): AE_NOT_FOUND, Processor Device is not present [20060707]" yields MANY hits.

In R5E50 the progress bar does not do anything so when my machine is taking a long time to boot I hit F2 to see what is going on.
It shouldn't be a bios thing as it used to work fine before I played with initrd and lilo.
BTW All output is visible if I change the boot loader to Grub. So I might try and get the splash working with Grub 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:50 pm 
OK,

Doing a bit more investigation last night found that I was getting more output using grub because a wasn't passing the 'quiet' paramter to the kernel. I've now noticed that its all the init script output that I nolonger have like;
Starting MySQL database server: mysqld.
and
Starting web server: apache2.

Don't really no where to start looking for this one.
Any ideas would be great.
munga

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:11 pm 
munga wrote:
OK,

Doing a bit more investigation last night found that I was getting more output using grub because a wasn't passing the 'quiet' paramter to the kernel. I've now noticed that its all the init script output that I nolonger have like;
and

munga
I don't know where your system stands at this point. Earlier you said
munga wrote:
ACPI Exception (acpi_processor-0681): AE_NOT_FOUND, Processor Device is not present [20060707]

Is this still the case? I thought you were just having trouble getting the bootsplash going, what exactly isn't working right now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:57 pm 
slowtolearn wrote:
munga wrote:
OK,

and

munga
slowtolearn wrote:
I don't know where your system stands at this point. Earlier you said
I got the splash working by running the add_bootsplash.sh script.
slowtolearn wrote:
munga wrote:

slowtolearn wrote:
Is this still the case? I thought you were just having trouble getting the bootsplash going, what exactly isn't working right now?

I removed the 'quiet' parameter from the kernel command line, so now I see a lot more output than the previous few lines, but I am still missing all the output that should come fromt the init scripts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:10 pm 
munga wrote:
OK, one down.

munga wrote:
I removed the 'quiet' parameter from the kernel command line, so now I see a lot more output than the previous few lines, but I am still missing all the output that should come fromt the init scripts.
And is something not working correctly/at all?

I haven't used software RAID on Linux, so I may be way off base here, but when you "recently added my / root partition to a raid 1 array" couldn't you have simply changed /etc/lilo.conf to reflect /dev/md0 instead of /dev/sda1? Or is the md driver not loaded at that point?

One last question: What are you trying to accomplish with the software RAID setup? There may be better ways to do what you are looking for...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:56 am 
slowtolearn wrote:
munga wrote:
OK, one down.

Correct initial problem solved. :)
slowtolearn wrote:
munga wrote:

slowtolearn wrote:
And is something not working correctly/at all?

The output of the init scripts during boot up is not displaying as it did before I installed mdadm (raid 1)
slowtolearn wrote:
I haven't used software RAID on Linux, so I may be way off base here, but when you "recently added my / root partition to a raid 1 array" couldn't you have simply changed /etc/lilo.conf to reflect /dev/md0 instead of /dev/sda1? Or is the md driver not loaded at that point?

Correct. Once you have raid 1 arrays linked you can change sda1 to md0 in /etc/lillo/conf.
slowtolearn wrote:
One last question: What are you trying to accomplish with the software RAID setup? There may be better ways to do what you are looking for...

The raid 1 mirroring is working great, it is either very coincidental or the raid install has change the way init script text output is sent to std out, as it seems it is being redirected.
All I am trying to do now is return my start up (boot) output to the way it was.
thanks
munga