View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:07 pm 
...do us a favor before the next release comes out? I've installed lots of extra packages (avahi, various dev packages for compiling from SVN, etc) and want to be able to easily reinstall them when the new release comes out. Can someone with an R5F27 install that hasn't installed any extra packages using apt-get at all do a "dpkg -l" and post the output, so we can compare to the default package list and know what to reinstall?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:19 am 
Site Admin
Why not boot off the CD and perform the command?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:40 pm 
Or flip the problem around, make a list of your current state now, and another post upgrade and compare them. Any missing packages are candidates for your list of things to add.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:42 pm 
So if I just boot from CD, flip to a console, and do dpkg -l I'll get a list of the default packages? OK, I'll just do that. I've never used the CD for anything but installing, but since it's Knoppix-based that should work fine.

I'm eagerly anticipating the new release, checking every day. I've got 0.21-fixes from SVN, but MythTV without all the KnoppMyth enhancements is like store-brand cola vs. Coke. I'm especially intrigued by the "tweaker", whatever it may be. Hopefully it isn't a meth addict that comes over and watches TV with you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:48 pm 
nickca wrote:
So if I just boot from CD, flip to a console, and do dpkg -l I'll get a list of the default packages?

Note that the list is longish, say 1020-1030 packages. I would suggest mounting /myth first and dumping it to a file in /myth/backup to make it easier to access after the update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:41 am 
Quote:
Note that the list is longish, say 1020-1030 packages. I would suggest mounting /myth first and dumping it to a file in /myth/backup to make it easier to access after the update.

Nah, that's not really what I'm trying to accomplish, I want a list of all the packages I've installed beyond R5F27's default so when I upgrade to R5whatever, I can just pipe the list to apt-get and get them all back. For anyone else that wants to do this, here's what I did:

1. From running Myth, do
Code:
dpkg -l | awk '{print $2}' > $WHEREVER/current.pkgs

2. Boot from CD, mount root drive, do
Code:
dpkg -l | awk '{print $2}' > $WHEREVER/orig.pkgs

3. From $WHEREVER, do
Code:
diff -u orig.pkgs current.pkgs | grep ^+ | grep -v current | sed -e 's/^+//g' > extra.pkgs

Now I have a list of all my extra packages in extra.pkgs. So when I upgrade, I can do
Code:
for i in `cat extra.pkgs`; do apt-get install $i; done

and voila, we're back up and running. The power of the Linux command line!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:57 am 
I see at least a couple problems with that:

1) dpkg -l truncates the names to 14 characters. This may not be enough to uniquely identify them. I generally use another tool to list packages because of this. Say something like "apt-cache pkgnames | sort"

2) You might run into a conflict with a package that is already on the post-upgrade system with overlapping functionality or upgrading something that has been intentionally pinned to a particular version. This is why I recommend comparing the lists post-upgrade. There's nothing like a smart user for sorting these things out.

OBTW - You'll want to do an "apt-get update" before the install loop. I also recommend using the modern $() rather than backquotes. It helps avoid issues with ambiguous fonts and quoting rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:29 pm 
Here is the output of:
Code:
 apt-cache pkgnames | sort>>/myth/tmp/aptlist.txt

It was quite long, so you can grab it from:

http://www.digitalvideophile.com/files/aptlist.txt

Cheers,
Victor

FE2: Zotac MAG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:37 pm 
tjc wrote:
1) dpkg -l truncates the names to 14 characters. This may not be enough to uniquely identify them.

Yeah, bummer. I do like the version and description information that you get.. If, at some point, some package get dorked or needs to be updated or needs to be downgraded, it would be nice to know "from whence we came".

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:50 pm 
When you redirect or pipe output, you get the whole name, not just 14
or so characters.

BluesBrian wrote:
tjc wrote:
1) dpkg -l truncates the names to 14 characters. This may not be enough to uniquely identify them.

Yeah, bummer. I do like the version and description information that you get.. If, at some point, some package get dorked or needs to be updated or needs to be downgraded, it would be nice to know "from whence we came".

It truncates the names based on the width of the output device (terminal).

When you redirect or pipe output, you get the whole name, not just 14
or so characters. Redirect it to a file and view the file.

Cliff

Older dual core 3.4ghz Intel CPU
Asus P5PE-VM Motherboard
2 GB RAM
1 TB LVM2
VirtualBox
Samba

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:23 pm 
cliffsjunk wrote:
When you redirect or pipe output, you get the whole name, not just 14 or so characters.
Not my KM box, (I'm at work) so this is an old Debian box. As example, I just filter out the kernel items.
Code:
dpkg -l |grep kernel > dpkg-kernel-hostname.txt
I execute..
Code:
dpkg -l |grep kernel > dpkg-kernel-hostname.txt
I get.. truncated package names.. (If it works properly when I try it on my KM box, I'll yell "DOH!")
Code:
ii  iptables       1.2.11-10      Linux kernel 2.4+ iptables administration to
ii  kernel-image-2 2.6.8-5        Linux kernel image for version 2.6.8 on 386.
ii  linux-kernel-h 2.5.999-test7- Linux Kernel Headers for development
ii  module-init-to 3.2-pre1-2     tools for managing Linux kernel modules
ii  nfs-kernel-ser 1.0.6-3.1      Kernel NFS server support

<<newby observation warning>> The other thing that I noticed.. with the dpkg command, I get (again, not a KM box) something like 430 items. with apt-cache.. and only 2% of the precincts reporting .. we're well over 400 items. (even just package names, the apt-cache file is about 10 times the size of the dpkg file.) I'm thinking that the apt-cache list has more granularity that I would really need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:30 pm 
On my KM R5F27 box when I execute:
Code:
dpkg -l |grep kernel > tt
cat tt

The first part of the output is:
Quote:
ii alsa-modules-2.6.18-chw-13 1.0.13-3+2.6.18-chw-13-10.00.Custom ALSA modules for kernel 2.6.18-chw-13
ii autofs 4.1.4+debian-1 kernel-based automounter for Linux
ii cloop-module 2.04-1 The compressed loopback block device kernel module
ii gspca-modules-2.6.18-chw-13 01.00.04-2+2.6.18-chw-13-10.00.Custom gspca modules for Linux (kernel 2.6.18-chw-13)
ii ipw2100-modules-2.6.18-chw-13 1.2.1-2+2.6.18-chw-13-10.00.Custom ipw2100 modules for Linux (kernel 2.6.18-chw-13)

On KnoppMyth it truncates based on the width of the output.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:05 pm 
cliffsjunk wrote:
On my KM R5F27 box when I execute....

Yeah, thanks .. I'll be yellin' it, when I try it at home.. :lol:
I did google it out.. on old Debian, you can execute:
Code:
COLUMNS=132 dpkg -l |grep kernel
.. and you get ..
Code:
ii  initrd-tools                0.1.81.1                    tools to create initrd image for prepackaged Linux kernel
ii  iptables                    1.2.11-10                   Linux kernel 2.4+ iptables administration tools
ii  kernel-image-2.6.8-1-386    2.6.8-5                     Linux kernel image for version 2.6.8 on 386.
ii  linux-kernel-headers        2.5.999-test7-bk-17         Linux Kernel Headers for development
ii  module-init-tools           3.2-pre1-2                  tools for managing Linux kernel modules
ii  nfs-kernel-server           1.0.6-3.1                   Kernel NFS server support
ii  smbfs                       3.0.14a-3sarge11            mount and umount commands for the smbfs (for kernels >= than 2.2.x)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:34 am 
FWIW - Some more research and fiddling around gave me this command to list only installed packages and their versions:
Code:
dpkg -l | awk '/^ii / {print $2, $3}' | sort