View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Live TV "stuck on"
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:49 am 
I doubt this is Knoppmyth specific but twice in the last year (not a big deal) live TV has been stuck on recording constantly for days until I reboot the backend. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:31 am 
Just a couple days ago I had a remote frontend freeze while watching live tv and experienced a similar issue. There were no frontends using that tuner, but it was still in use recording a channel. Is that a possibility in your particular situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:07 am 
This happens to me too. My wife watches Live TV everynight when she goes to bed. Usually it locks up on the show boundries like when the news finishes. It happens nearly every night that the Live tv gets locked up. But I'd say once every couple weeks it locks up a tuner like you described. I missed a recording of the season finale of Greys Anatomy because of this and the wife was very unhappy! The only way to recover the locked up tuner is to reboot the backend.

The WAF has really taken a hit with this "feature". I HOPE that it's fixed with the new Myth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:05 pm 
Fortunately with two tuners the two times it has happened I have only missed one or two unimportant shows.

From what you guys describe I can guess what might be happening. I have one backend with two tuners and a 750 gig Seagate. It doesn't do Frontend at all. I have two front ends one is on Fast Ethernet and all is well there however the upstairs Frontend is connected via one of those 12 mbps wall plug network via power line things and it isn't fast enough to play live TV (MPEG2). I would bet that the kids or someone accidentally selects Live TV and then when the box stops responding they just boot the box. I do know you can get out of it by escaping but it will never get out on its own and never catch up enough to play anything back. So unless you know you hit Live TV you would just think it was locked up or something. All of my shows are Transcoded and take up not much space so the slow link upstairs can stream it fine.

Also in one of the recent MythTV version changes it is supposed to ask you every so often if you are still watching live TV and if it is done right it should stop at that point.

abrendel
My old system used to lock up on live TV as the HD got closer to full (which happens pretty fast on LIve TV) and the drive was a 120 gig Seagate SATA but when it got out on the edge it would die doing Live TV after a couple of hours. A couple of things I noticed that might have helped was pausing for a couple of minutes so it can write and read in bigger chunks. Getting a faster disk drive. Alternate to all that standard old tuners are getting pretty damn cheap right now and at least you would have one left to catch the important stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:49 pm 
My experience with this problem is more related to POOR ATSC reception. I've tried to use the F7 signal strength meter to fine-tune my antenna rotor, but it usually ends up locking up the backend in use, and I have to kill it off and restart to get the tuner to free back up. Some times I get the MythTV 'error processing video', and that's guaranteed to lock up the tuner.

This goes back to my attempts to hack in rotor control, but it's on the backburner for the time being. Other pressing personal issues to deal with. :(

If your OTA reception is marginal, this issue could leave all of your DTV tuners locked up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:20 pm 
Not sure, but I think when I had that happen to my girlfriend's system
a while back I could escape out with the keyboard, but the remote was
not working. I think it was LIRC, or high CPU usage causing LIRC pulse
timings to degrade and the loss of recognized IR codes.

At one time I had a repeatable problem (on VIA chipset? PVR-350 system)
where the remote was rock solid if I was not watching TV, but when I
went to watch TV, the remote became much less responsive and I had to
press keys several times to get them to "take". Since then I upgraded to
a better motherboard and CPU.