View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:32 pm 
Running R5.5, I have 1 MBE w/pvr-150 it also holds the Storage disks, 2 SBE 1 w/pvr-150 and the other w/pvr-500

As I understand Storage groups the primary purpose seems to be for "Load Balancing" when you are recording and to increase overall storage as individual disks rather than an LVM.

I have setup the primary disk as /myth/tv and and /mnt/tv for the sbe's that worked fine. All recordings would go to that one location and were accessible.

Now I have started adding the disks back in. I put the first disk in as /myth2/tv but I haven't added symlinks yet. I setup the storage profile in the MBE as /myth/tv and /myth2/tv. Watching the recordings only the MBE will record to that second disk.
The other two machines do not know about it yet. although any SBE can play content that is stored on that second drive.

Is there a specific way these should be setup so that each MBE would be able to access any disk for recording and playback and the O/S can perform the load balancing function for recordings?

Tia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:20 am 
Doing some of my own research it looks like first I need to reconsider the drive mounts.

in setting it up the way I have set it up. I need to point the recording rule to a particular storage volume or group.
i.e. /myth/tv and /myth2/tv are two separate groups.

On the other hand if I change the setup/mounts to something like /myth/tv and myth/tv2 then that is seen differently and the Storage group algorythm should handle at least the sharing of where files will be stored.

Just thinking out loud since I couldn't find any discussions around this topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:21 pm 
I have a MBE/SBE setup that is fairly simple but close to what you use. The MBE has the following storage groups:

MBE:
Default Storage group
/myth/tv3 (/dev/hda3)
/myth/tv (dev/sda1)
/myth/tv2 (mounted from the SBE - MBE couldn't handle full capacity of the 750G drive)

Remote Storage group (still local on MBE)
/myth/tv2 (same drive as above used to force it to save to SBE) - only necessary if you want it

SBE - Doesn't contain a tuner, basically setup to complete jobs
Default Storage Group
/myth/tv3 (mounted from MBE)
/myth/tv (Mounted from MBE)
/myth/tv2 (/dev/sdc1

Myth is smart enough to know what is local and what is remote and will use the local drives for load balancing IO, SBE will use the storage groups from MBE if there are no local drives define in its own Storage Groups. What you need to do to have the IO load balanced is add the drives you want to be load balanced to the same Storage Group, probably the Default Storage Group if that is what you record to. Mount points don't matter as long as you put the UNC path in the Storage Group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:02 pm 
Thanks, that tends to follow what I was saying.

If I want Storage groups to i/o load balance then they need to be mounted as such
MBE > Default Storage Group
/myth/tv > /dev/hda3
/myth/tv2 > /dev/sda1
/myth/tv3 > /dev/sda2, etc

Those need to be called out appropriately in the default storage group on my MBE.

I followed the LinHes instructions so I am thinking that to make these work properly the SBE's would both need to have this:

SBE > Default Storage Group
/mnt/tv on the mbe
/mnt/tv2 on the mbe
/mnt/tv3 on the mbe, etc

with each of those mounts point to the appropriate location on the MBE that should allow the storage groups to load balance.