View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: HD STB's
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:40 am 
I am not seeing (As in I am Blind or There just isn't much info) on using mythtv with HD Set Top Boxes.

Anyone know of a Good resource to find what people are doing.. In specific I am looking to use a Dish/Bell STB (I am moving out into the country where Satilite is the only option available)

I am curious if everyone has gone the analogue capture route or if any options exists like the firewire ports on some moto STB's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:24 am 
You don't mention what COUNTRY you're in, which could dramatically alter your options.

If you are US-bound, you can pretty much forget recording any HD from satellite settop boxes. They have no firewire ports. The only possibility is to get one of those new-ish Happauge HD-PVR boxes which can digitize component video outputs. Support for the HD-PVR is still somewhat sketchy, it being such a new product.

There was a company called 169time or (something like that) that sold "upgrades" to DirecTV receivers that would provide firewire output. However, the output was not the same as the cable boxes and they never provided a driver that would work with Linux or MythTv. So it never even left the ground.

If you live in Europe, you can ignore everything I just wrote.

Post subject: Re: HD STB's
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:40 pm 
buckaboobob wrote:
In specific I am looking to use a Dish/Bell STB (I am moving out into the country where Satilite is the only option available)

i would expect that mentioning dish/bell would place me in NA wich should be sufficient..

There are a few other options out there aswell.. I see alot of talking about a r5000-hd mod for a disk/bell STB but it currently only has windoze but it has some mention of haveing network encoding support for sagetv