View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: mythburn DVD
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:01 am 
I have a load of shows which I'd like to burn to DVD so that I can free up some of hard disk space! but I want to:
  • Minimise the number of DVDs that I burn
  • Minimise the wasted space on each DVD
  • Avoid re-encoding the digital tv shows as this takes quite some time on my slow machine!

But each show has a cut list and as its the raw recording off DVB it has lots of extras which i'm happy to lose (like extra audio channels, 'red-button' data streams and subtitles). Hence it is very difficult to determine how much space a show will take up on a DVD until it has been worked on by mytharchive. For instance i once added a few shows which (after a cutlist) were supposed to be just under 6GB in size but after processing (and no re-encoding) mytharchive fitted it onto a single layer DVD-R with almost 500MB spare!

So what I thought would be a useful upgrade to mythburn is a feature that once you've selected all the shows you want to burn and is for mythburn to determine what is the most space-efficient way of burning these shows onto the DVDs (ie. some sought of packing algorithm which takes into account to real size of the burnt shows and not their raw recorded size). I guess the program would have process all the shows and then determine their size and then burn a number of isos...

I have little experience with editing programs such as this and I was wondering whether anyone who might work on mythburn could help me out or pass this on?

Thanks in advance, Mythman

Running Knoppmyth R5.5 on a Compaq EVO D510 (sff) w/ P4 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, 330GB 7200rpm Maxtor IDE HDD, XFX Nvidia GeForce 6200 (AGP low profile, p/n: PV-T44A-WANG) and Huappauge NOVA-T 500 DVB-T dual tuner PCI card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:07 am 
Hi mythman13,

Sounds like a really good idea to include your idea into the DVD burning software in MythTV.

Mythburn is no longer being developed though. It's MythArchive that's the current archiving tool.

I would think it's upstream of here. I'd let the MythTV developers hear of your suggestion. I'm not quite sure how to do that though - never done it myself. Possibly here?

I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if the links erroneous.

Regards
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:33 pm 
Site Admin
MythArchive works quite well! In the past, I was able to get 14 (If I remember correctly) half hour shows onto a DVD!