View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:08 pm 
Greetings.
I have been googling and searching here for the last two days before posting, so if I've missed the obvious mother lode of information, please give me a link.
I have a Mythic Dragon V1.0 that has not been used in its regular purpose for a while. I would now like to make it a dedicated mythbox.
In the latest research, it looks like I have some hoops to jump to update this box.

Should I just keep it running with the original knoppmyth (RA22 I believe). Or update it to hopefully R6? There must be many new features.
It is changed from original shipping configuration only in: ATI RF remote usb dongle removed, and a 300GB HD in place of the 250GB original on HDA1. A Streamzap remote was just connected and functions.
The 250MB drive is still in the box unplugged from PATA cable for now and is an updated PCLOS distro. Later after the dedicated Dragon is perfect, I may use the bios to switch the box from HTPC to PCLOS box in order to use it as a full fledged PC for some multimedia test functions. For this moment, consider it a dedicated knoppmyth box.
At present it is in a sacrificial state, so I would have no problem installing from scratch to the hard drive, changing partitions etc, if things don't work out.
Now, my questions and request for guidance to get this working and up to date.
I am comfortable using ssh to get into it if needed, although I never did it on a knoppmyth box.

I see a lot of issues with the Chaintech 710 card and later knoppmyth releases. Is there other stuff that is obsoleted with newer knoppmyth releases?

Should I pull the card and use on board analog until everything else is perfect? Then I will either re-install the 710 if it is a matter of a few workarounds, or replace it with a tier 1 card. I want full spidif capabilities eventually.
I am running the DVI out through a DVI to HDMI adapter to either a Samsung hlt-5076 DLP tv, or a 19" 4:3 LCD monitor (with DVI in). I have also used the vga connectors on both displays. (The Samsung also does 1080p in vga). I have several HDPC-3000 cards, (just 1 installed) and want watch while record functions.
At the moment I am downloading the mythbuntu iso to see how it handles my hardware, but my heart is in Knoppmyth. Technically I am a reseller for open source and some of my ISF calibration customers are impressed when seeing my Dragon box and OTA HDTV recordings. (From the past config).
Issues as of late:
1. Where is channels.conf? I search, see people talking of it but usually in 2006 timeframe. What has replaced it? how do I manually type in channel freq, 8vsb, qam parameters now? I see referrals to database only.

2. I can watch and record ota if signal is perfect. If a previous signal gets weak, it locks or crashes knoppmyth to penguin splash desktop.

3. I cannot get cable hdtv to work, partial frozen pixelated picture with crash typically. The Samsung tv connected to cable gets perfect HDTV of local stations on ch 82, 102 or something like that, and the OTA HDTV station SD sub channels. I have basic local channel only cable, not digital. I use Directv for SD on a hacked Directivo series 2 box. (Hacked for large dual drives, not content extraction).

4. What is the future of open source for home theater? With the lockdown of HD content, it looks like MS is the only way to record other than ota HD in digital. (I am aware of the limited availability of component for now).
If I wanted to set up an open source HTPC for someone, how does one justify not being able to run a BluRay player, or have PVR HDTV functions, which the cable co can provide.
Is there say a HDTV video card that will not leak HDTV content in the future? We use Nvidia proprietary stuff, why not hollywood secure card for linux. (Fat chance).
I am being devil's advocate here. I am a member of EFF, so am on your side.
So much for the revisited update, I won't ramble in the future. (maybe).

P.S. As I post this, I see graysky's new post, I will read that too.
Edit:
# CASE: Silverstone LC-10 HTPC case
# PSU: 16dB(A) Nexus NX-4090 400W PSU
# MOTHERBOARD: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
# CPU: 90nm AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (socket 939)
# RAM: VS1GBKIT400: Corsair Value Select 1GB PC3200 400MHz DDR DIMM kit (2x512MB)
# CPU HEATSINK: Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
# NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK: Zalman NM-NB47J
# DVD-RW: multi-format, super-quiet Plextor PX-716A
# HDD: WD2500SB (Western Digital Caviar RE enterprise-class quiet 250GB HDD (prototype Dragons used the WD2500BB) ****REPLACED WITH 300GB*****
# GRAPHICS CARD: ASUS Extreme N6200TC256/TD
# SOUNDCARD: Chaintech AV-710 with optical S/PDIF
# TUNER CARD: pcHDTV HD-3000
# REMOTE CONTROL: ATI Remote Wonder RF remote control**** replaced with Streamzap USB*****

Last edited by nerdful_things on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:26 pm 
Damn, pretty big post there :) I went over to mythic.tv but I don't see the specs on the Dragon 1.0 on the website. Can you summarize them i.e. cpu, ram, you already said 300 gig HDD, you already said chaintech 710 is that a geforce card or..?, capture card etc.

As to the distro, I would recommend that you either jump in with R6 knowing that it is getting better day-by-day but missing some peripheral features or use R5.5 and hang in there until R6 is more mature.

One thing is sure: 300 gigs is not enough for HD content unless you watch it and delete it shortly after the capture. As to your video board, I'm assuming that what CPU your dragon 1.0 has, it won't be enough to playback HD content on its own. In that case you'll want a VDPAU enabled videocard such as the 8400GS. R6 has VDPAU-packages for both mplayer and mythtv.

As to your points:

1) I have no idea, I thought these are stored in the the db you configure.
2) Dunno about this either... I would think it would capture the static just like it would capture the show. Again, install R5.5 or R6.
3) What is your capture card?
4) Dunno about this either, maybe other more knowledgeable folks will answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:36 pm 
Thanks for the info, how does one get R6? I've been catching up reading everything, but not all at once... I think it has to be built from SVN? I've done just a bit of building a while ago.
I added my box info to original post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:43 pm 
Fire up your fav. bittorrent client: http://mythic.tv/torrents/

As to your hardware, with my comments about the HDD space, you will have to let us know if the CPU has enough power to playback your HD streams. I just don't know about your 3200+.

My most powerful FE system is an Athlon XP 3200+ (2.20 GHz) and it cannot playback a 720p MPEG-2 much less h264. If playback isn't smooth/dropping frames, etc. consider replacing the 6200 with a VDPAU enabled GPU such as the 8400GS. You can get a 512 meg, PCI version from a number of sources online. I paid $55 or 60 from newegg and used the Sparkle card that cesman recommended in Atomic Ant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:26 pm 
1. I'm pretty sure channels.conf is old news and not necessary if you follow tuning instructions for current MythTV versions. (Any reason you haven't tried R5.5 rather than the old A22 or the bleeding edge R6.0?)

2. I've seen that when I used the HD-3000. I think the situation improved with more recent versions of KnoppMyth, but it's also why I switched to a HDHomeRun. Of course, the other thing to do is to try to improve your signal (better antenna, better location, possibly amplifier on the antenna).

Quote:
If I wanted to set up an open source HTPC for someone, how does one justify not being able to run a BluRay player, or have PVR HDTV functions, which the cable co can provide.

I would say the justification is being able to do whatever you want with the things you record, which you definitely can't do with a PVR from the cable company.

The other day I watched a two-hour episode of 24 in a little over 60 minutes, thanks to commercial skip and 1.2x speed playback.

I also edited all of the commercials off of all my kids's shows, copied them to my Ubuntu desktop, and used Handbrake to make iPod-ready non-DRMed versions of them.

You can do some of that with some Windows- or Mac-based systems, but probably none of that with a cable company's DVR.

As Blu-Ray consoles come down in price, it's easier to rationalize not having it as part of the computer.

But ultimately, it depends on the user... it's certainly hard to argue with just plunking a DVR down and using it, particularly if you never want to move things off of it or skip commercials in one block.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:09 pm 
The post was long enough without details. Thanks for the replies.
I am in test mode, so I usually am not set up as I would be in a permanent installation. If I'm careful, I can get all my local HD ota stations in with an amplified loop. (Much bettr than than the little log-periodic looking thing that is so popular, though I use it at times). I have 20 something element UHF corner reflector outdoors and can get stations perfectly when I'm done.
I've been using 5.5, and having the problems and questions I stated, is why I was curious about waiting for R6 rather than starting over.
Just in last couple hours, I d/led mythbuntu iso, checked for md5, burn errors, but disk dropped to single user logon. So by then the R6 torrent was finished.
I did not realize it was available on a live without building, thanks.
I just tried running it, but it hangs on some sql stuff, I'm sure a problem on my part, as it asked for some setup items I was not sure of. I will now try to install it on the HD and figure things out.

But (a big one). The pet peeve I have with most of the digital rf world is you cannot just tune on the fly, always have to construct some tuning table or something. Even with the 40.00 converter boxes.
For example, I'd like to be able to tune my Dragon to channel 14 or 15 without having a signal to start with. The reason is I would like to connect my HDTV video movie generator to it at a later time. It outputs 1080i on ch 14 and 15. Right now I have to connect it, scan, then disconnect, scan OTA, disconnect, scan QAM etc.
Oh, and why is it I can get perfect ota in 1080i and 720p, but the same stations on qam are as I mentioned above? I don't think it is lack of processor power.
A couple years ago I recorded a HD PBS special ota with permission, for later showing at a club, and there was not one hiccup on playback.
Well, need to decide to put back the old 5a22 (maybe even earlier than that), putter with 5.5 or install R6.
A little pointing me to manual tuning entry or at least where all that stuff is held would let me choose the rest of my weekend's destiny. :)
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:16 pm 
nerdful_things wrote:
I would like to connect my HDTV video movie generator to it at a later time. It outputs 1080i on ch 14 and 15.
Could you go into more detail as to what this device is? Does it take component input and convert it to 1080i on a tv channel? who makes it and what is the model number?
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:01 pm 
If you do decide to "throw money at the problem" I'd highly recommend you upgrade you processor to a dual core 3800+ or higher as opposed to going with a VDPAU capable video card as VDPAU isn't quite ready for prime time. You can get some highly capable dual core AMD chips for about $60 now days so that is where I would first spend money. Of course there is no harm in getting a VDPAU capable video card :) .

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:42 pm 
I'm back after an afternoon of of installing various releases and mythdiscs.
It at one time was fine with ota, so I'll put off the cpu upgrade for now, until I get something running.
I went back to rv4 or ra22, one of the old knoppmyth discs I used to use. When setting up the channels, I got hung at the old zap2it connection which of course,, will not work with my schedules direct.
I thought a quick install of mythbuntu might give me some hints, but found the pchdtv hd-3000 card is only recognized as analog with v4linux, not DVB. This has always been the case in a non myth use such as Kaffeine, xine etc.
So I am typing on the mythbuntu browser and about to put back in 5.5. R6 seems to have problems with setting up my box.
What I really need is the channel/tuning mechanism of these new Cecilisms.
And maybe a way to point my old knoppmyth releases at schedules direct? I'll be around these forums more now that I am finding my way around and will help others when I can.

The device I use is an old circa 1999 HDTV generator running 1080i files outputting on ch 14, 15 atsc. It has a German made proprietary modulator mother/daughter card plugged into an instrumentation mini motherboard. A fluorescent alphanumeric display on the front displays name of file and status. Mine runs Windows 98, others use 2000. It has a large drive for its time, a 30 gig, and only holds a half dozen 10-15 min files.
There is no discernible indication of any 'mpeg-converter' board. Looks like it is all connected through the pci and a ribbon cable.These were made by Sencore for around $5K and were used in large displays setups like Best Buy.
Before BlueRay and ota was common I used it in addition to my signal pattern generators to check out and demo calibration/repairs on HD displays and monitors.