View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:19 pm 
Hello,

I have bee trying to figure out if it is possible to accomplish my, in my mind, complex "Custom Record" schedule. I would like to record a news program on MSNBC. The show airs originally at 8:00p, with repeats at 10:00p and 1:00a the next morning. It is this 1:00a airing that in my mind throws a wrench in the works. I could choose the "Record only one show per day" option, but eventually, that would only record the 1:00a showing. Since this is a news program, the listing only shows generic episode information.

What I would really like is:
1) Record at 8:00p, if no other conflict.
2) Record at 10:00p, if it didn't already record at 8:00p.
3) Record at 1:00a, if it didn't aleady record at 8:00p or 10:00p on the previous weekday (1:00a Monday is a repeat of the 8:00p Friday episode.)

I'm sure this is possible, but I have no idea how to accomplish this in "Custom Record". I'm guessing that there is someone here who is much more adept than I when it come to SQL searches (which is all the "Custom Record" is, right?)

Thanks,

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
BioStar A770, AMD X2 4050e, 2GB RAM
GigaByte GeForce 8400, Chaintech AV710
USB-UIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:00 pm 
With some of our episodes of generic programs the epg details the date as the description, this would help in your situation, but from your description I don't believe they do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:00 am 
I think this would work for you I am testing this out now for the daily show which the first episode starts at 11:00 pm and then repeats many times with the last one at 8:30. At least I think that is how they have it scheduled.

Under custom record:
Code:
program.title LIKE '%The Daily Show%'
AND HOUR(program.starttime) >= 22
OR program.title LIKE '%The Daily Show%'
AND HOUR(program.starttime) <= 21

Then I just set the recording to record at anytime on any channel since my rule takes care of the times. You may want to add a channel option to the code above if you want it on a certain channel.

/I just checked under the program finder and this should work for you just fine just change the values from 22 to 20 and the second value from 21 to 1

Hauppage PVR 500 MCE
Soundblaster Live
ATI Remote Wonder II

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:08 pm 
opel70 wrote:
Hello,

I have bee trying to figure out if it is possible to accomplish my, in my mind, complex "Custom Record" schedule. I would like to record a news program on MSNBC. The show airs originally at 8:00p, with repeats at 10:00p and 1:00a the next morning. It is this 1:00a airing that in my mind throws a wrench in the works. I could choose the "Record only one show per day" option, but eventually, that would only record the 1:00a showing. Since this is a news program, the listing only shows generic episode information.

The News hour with Jim Lehrer and The Daily Show also have the characteristics you describe, but in practice I have never have had a problem. While they do not have a unique subtitle, which gives the appearence of their being "generic", they always have a unique episode ID (last 4 digits of the programid field in the recorded table). I suspect this is why I don't get repeated recordings.

Have you ever actually seen the problem you are describing occur?

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:31 pm 
Quote:
Have you ever actually seen the problem you are describing occur?

I know that I definitely have seen this problem before, that is recording the same episode twice one at 11:00 pm am and then recording the same episode at 1:00am the next day and not recording the newer episode at 11:00. I probably haven't actually missed an episode but, It gets off schedule so to speak. I think(maybe not) that the custom record I made just weights the new episodes better to prevent that from happening.

Hauppage PVR 500 MCE
Soundblaster Live
ATI Remote Wonder II

Last edited by footeo on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:38 pm 
I have also experienced this - albeit with weekly instead of daily schedules - and definitely missed episodes, ending up with dupes instead. I worked around the problem by moving to "record in this timeslot every week" but sometimes they juggle the schedule so this is not 100% reliable either.

What would be nice is to be able to redefine the definition of "week" or "day" for a given schedule. (Wish I had more free time right now, this would be a great excuse to start diving into the source...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:21 pm 
footeo wrote:
I think this would work for you I am testing this out now
Under custom record:
Code:
program.title LIKE '%The Daily Show%'
AND HOUR(program.starttime) >= 22
OR program.title LIKE '%The Daily Show%'
AND HOUR(program.starttime) <= 21

Sorry about this but this DOESN'T WORK. :oops: I hadn't deleted my previous rule before testing. After looking at the program table in the db it is apparent that there are some days that there is no unique ID for the Daily Show but, If I choose to pick the 11:00 showing , (the original showing), of the program in the program finder and select 'record one showing of this title every day' It says 11:00 or later and it appears to make that the 'start' of the day since if I set up a conflict at 11:00 it will record the 1:30 show and say that it is recording a later showing. So, from what I can tell this really isn't an issue. I believe it has happened in the past but maybe it was a fluke or was fixed at some point. :?

Hauppage PVR 500 MCE
Soundblaster Live
ATI Remote Wonder II