View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: VM for Mythfrontend
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:05 pm 
I got a new Macbook Pro, and have been impressed with parallels, particularly since it took my Windows XP install particularly well. I next installed the latest Ubuntu, no sweat there. I wanted to stress the system so I pulled down the mythbuntu packages and started running mythfrontend on ubuntu within the Parallels VM. surprisingly It works pretty damn well.

The point of the exercise was to see how far I could push the Parallels VM. I know that mythfrontend can be built on Mac OS X and there are even pre-built binaries. So please no, "why not just install mythfrontend directly" replies.

The Macbook has a 2.93GHz Core 2 Duo, & 8GB RAM, the VM slice has 512MB RAM and 1 virtual CPU. I had the front-end running windowed, at 1280x720 and was running 720p content. The audio was as good as the Mac speakers can put out and the video was fine with the occasional stutter. Not perfect, but pretty watchable.

Anyway I may see if tweaks can help, and I'm interested in trying a KM-VM to see if mythfrontend can run even better on a leaner and meaner OS. Is there any interest in this or is it just foolish tinkering?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:50 pm 
I have R5.5 installed in virtualbox clients on both Ubuntu and WinXP host boxes. Neither will play back recorded show probably due to being under-powered - not certain. Videos and other things work fine. I've switched out the hardware on the Ubuntu box but haven't had time to use. In neither case do I actually use R5.5 for anything other than an exercise in installation and for testing so as not to hose my actual R5.5 installations.

No luck on either box installing R6.00.07 as a client soon after it became available. Installation goes into a infinite loop of starting and stopping mysqld.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:55 pm 
I occasionally do test installs on KnoppMyth under VMWare Fusion. In my testing, it UI seems a little slower than on a similar real PC, but I haven't spent any time optimising, and on your MacBook (8GB RAM? Wow!) it should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:46 pm 
mythedoff wrote:
I have R5.5 installed in virtualbox clients on both Ubuntu and WinXP host boxes. Neither will play back recorded show.

Virtualbox uses a very generic driver for the video. It emulates a different graphics card to the one you actually have.
You could give the graphics card much more RAM (I think it's allocated 8MB by default). Of course, you already would know this since you read the FAQ http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ ;-)
You didn't say whether or not you have installed the guest additions or how much ram you have, etc, etc.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:32 pm 
Thanks Mike,
Quote:
You could give the graphics card much more RAM (I think it's allocated 8MB by default). Of course, you already would know this since you read the FAQ http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ ;-)

Did that and did that.

Quote:
You didn't say whether or not you have installed the guest additions or how much ram you have, etc, etc.

No I didn't say any of that nor did I say that I was trying to solve a problem but yes guest additions were installed. I have been working mostly on seeing how a winxp client will work as I now expect to be moving to linux on my next desktop machine which I had hoped would be done by now. But one more person can be added to the linux desktop world and that is my son who I built a new computer for three weeks ago. He's a musician and is running Ubuntu Studio. Real fun trying to get nvidia drivers to install with real time kernel but was successful. I've taken my hard drive out of the Ubuntu box and put it into his old machine - only had to change the video driver, but haven't had much time to use it.