View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:13 pm 
A about one week ago, my KM R5.5 box exhibited some freezing issues. Basically, while watching a recorded show, the playback more or less ground to a halt over about 5 sec finally freezing on a frame, then dropping down to the UI. It didn't respond to the remote, nor to input of the keyboard. I rebooted it, and it seemed fine. No errors reported in fsck or by running smartmontools on the HDD.

It has since done the same thing twice now. I can ssh into the box, but it literally takes 3-4 min for me to get authenticated (it's THAT slow.) When I finally do get into the box, and run htop. Here is the output.

It looks like either 'hald-addon-storage', 'rrd_MBtemp.pl', or 'mysql' is to blame judging by the CPU usage. Before you point to rrd as the culprit, it has been running on this box literally for the past 5 years with no problems :) I was able to kill PID 3404 (# kill 3404) and now the box is fine without a reboot. Is there a log file I can post that will be diagnostic to track down why, all of a sudden, this is causing issues? I know via google that 'hald-addon-storage' is part of HAL and probably required.

EDIT - I have noticed that the DVDROM (empty) will every now and then make an odd 'click' noise. I dunno if it's going bad or what. I just swapped it out for an other one and will see if this makes a difference.

Thoughts from the community are welcomed.

Post subject: hal storage polling
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:14 pm 
You probably already know this but... you could try using
hal-disable-polling
and see if you error still occurs

It is part of Hal, but from what I understand it just checks for media insertion and shouldn't cause too much breakage while your testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:18 pm 
Didn't know I could disable it. Thanks. I ended up swapping out the DVDr drive and - knock on wood - haven't experienced a problem since. It has only been 1 week though.