View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Backup SBE/FE?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:15 pm 
Is there any way or reason to backup a SBE/FE? (might be a dumb question here)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:28 pm 
Not a dumb question at all.

You SHOULD backup the SBE and FE systems IF you've tweaked any of the linux config files. The MBE has all of the SBE/FE MythTV settings in it's database, but there's still unique settings that the local boxes need to keep track of.

For example: If you're running RRD, on a SBE or FE...that is stored locally on the system, not the MBE.

When in doubt....back it up! You won't be sorry.

Edit...

HOW? Mmmm. I'm still running R5F27 on my SBE/FE systems, and I use the backup option from the KnoppMyth menu. My R6 testing box died, so I don't remember exactly where they are...but they HAVE to be there, otherwise you wouldn't be able to upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:37 pm 
Thanks for the input. But this still leaves the question of: How? The mythbackup wont work on a shared /myth directory, correct? And on my SBE/FE setup, I dont have the option of backing up to a different location in the LinHES config, or I would backup to a spare thumb drive. IDK if this is by design, a unique problem unto me, or simply a yet to be addressed bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:32 pm 
Shared /myth directory? That's a good question.

All of my systems have their own /myth directory, but I've created NFS shares into a unified /share/{mbe,sbe,fe} directories....then point mythtv to those folders instead.

I believe that you're also correct about the backup/restore scripts saving to the /myth directory... That gums up the works.

IF....IF your /myth is located on the MBE...and all the other systems access that rather than their local drives, your backup headache is only on the MBE data.

Since there isn't a standard for SBE/FE setup, it looks like we're rolling our own backup schemes. This makes it very difficult to say what actually needs done. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:43 pm 
From my experience in R6, /myth is shared on all slave FE. /mnt is shared on any nfs setup. This should at least help with the 'standardized' problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:13 pm 
Site Admin
Unless you modifiy a file (xorg, lirc, etc.) on the SBE/FE, all MythTV related settings are in the db.