View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:11 pm 
Hi Mihanson,

I am just really looking to be able to change the channels on my Scientific Atlanta 4250. I have been having a real bear of a time getting it working (it still is not). The unencrypted channels would not effect channel changing work they? Or this this the wrong script for me?

Thanks,

Paul

Asus M2NPV-VM - 1GB RAM - 40 GB Hard Disk - StreamZap
Frontend_2
Dragon 1.0 w/ 2G RAM - 40 GB Hard Disk StreamZap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:41 pm 
Here is what I get from the command line (note I renamed your script to firewire.sh on my box)

[root@mythbe etc]# ./firewire.sh
Usage: 6200ch [-v] [-s] [-w] [-m] [-e] [-4] [-n NODE] [-g GUID] [-p PORT] <channel_num>
-v print additional verbose output
-s use single packet method. Cannot be used with -4.
-w toggle power state
-m Sends "Menu" command. Needed for some Motorola QIP series STB's.
-e Sends "Exit" command. Needed for some Motorola QIP series STB's.
-4 Enable 4 digit channel number support. Cannot be used with -s.
-n NODE node to start device scanning on (default:1)
-p PORT port/adapter to use (default:0)
-g GUID GUID to use, -n switch, if present, will be ignored.
libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
###### Oops, the channel isn't 63! Going to reset Firewire
##### Now Changing the Firewire setup for the 1 time
Starting to receive
done.
Starting to receive
done.
##### Now Changing the Firewire setup for the 2 time
Starting to receive
done.
Starting to receive
done.
##### Now Changing the Firewire setup for the 3 time
Starting to receive
done.
Starting to receive
done.
##### Now Changing the Firewire setup for the 4 time
Starting to receive
done.
Starting to receive
done.
##### Now Changing the Firewire setup for the 5 time
Starting to receive
done.
Starting to receive
done.
##### Now Changing the Firewire setup for the 6 time
Starting to receive
done.
Starting to receive
done.
##### Now Changing the Firewire setup for the 7 time
Starting to receive
done.
Starting to receive
done.
##### Now Changing the Firewire setup for the 8 time
Starting to receive
done.
Starting to receive
##### Now Changing the Firewire setup for the 9 time
done.
Starting to receive
done.
Starting to receive
done.
##### Now Changing the Firewire setup for the 10 time
Starting to receive
done.
Starting to receive
done.
##### Now Changing the Firewire setup for the 11 time
Starting to receive
done.
Starting to receive
done.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X Craappp it failed after ten tries - the tuner on?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[root@mythbe etc]#

Asus M2NPV-VM - 1GB RAM - 40 GB Hard Disk - StreamZap
Frontend_2
Dragon 1.0 w/ 2G RAM - 40 GB Hard Disk StreamZap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:31 pm 
Did you issue an actual channel number to change to?
for example:
Code:
$ firewire_primer.sh 500

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:16 pm 
The comments in this thread seem to say that firewire works on LinHES but that firewire connections do not provide unencrypted access to EVERY channel supported by the settop box/allowed by the cable provider.

Am I understanding this right? And, if so, then the only way to get ALL channels is to use an IR blaster and run the coax ouput of the settop box into a PCHD 5500 or PVR-x50 card, right?

Thanks, -Abby

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:51 pm 
abigailsweetashoney wrote:
The comments in this thread seem to say that firewire works on LinHES but that firewire connections do not provide unencrypted access to EVERY channel supported by the settop box/allowed by the cable provider.

Correct.

And, if so, then the only way to get ALL channels is to use an IR blaster and run the coax ouput of the settop box into a PCHD 5500 or PVR-x50 card, right?

If we're talking both SD and HD channels, the only way to get ALL of them is to use a HD-PVR. The 5500 card will only accept clear QAM channels. In my experience there are far fewer channels available in clear QAM as opposed to firewire. In other words, I get more unencrypted channels over firewire than I do with clear QAM. YMMV. Channel changing over firewire is dependant on your make/model of cable box. I'll go out on a limb and say the most common STB's (Motorola's and some Scientific Atlanta), with the firewire port enabled, should work. No need to use LIRC if you can get channel changing over firewire working. MythTV has channel changing over firewire built in.

At this time, the only way to get encrypted HD channels is the HD-PVR and the use of LIRC with an IR blaster. The HD-PVR is fed the component (Red, Blue, Green) output of your cable box for video and either the S/PDIF out or analog out of the cable box for audio.

If you only want SD channels, then a PVR-x50 card hooked up to your cable box with a S-Video cable will do the trick. Channel changing with a PVR-x50 will require the use of LIRC and an IR blaster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:46 am 
Thanks. This clears a lot up for me.

So the HD-PVR is selling like hot cakes I guess? The Hauppauge website says its device connect via USB (??) to your pc? Is this how LinHES connects to it or does it just hang off your LAN?

Can users of the HD-PVR chime in here? How many people own this gizmo? This seems like a crazy expensive solution. It truly borders on just giving up LinHES altogther, doesn't it?

Thanks, -Abby

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:10 am 
I own the gizmo. It connects via USB, not via LAN. If you check some other threads on the forum here you'll see that there might be issues with getting it to work depending on which model you end up with. On the system I'm using it with, I had to recompile the v4l-dvb drivers before it was recognized by the MythTV backend.

Quality is very good, and I'm capturing HD programming with files that are the same size as what I used to get with the SD MPEG2 files that my PVR-150 recorded.

I agree it's kind of pricey; kept waiting for it to come down in price and it never did, so I finally bought it after getting a gift certificate to Amazon.

I'm using Firewire to channel-change, with a script by "majoridiot" that handles talking to the Motorola STB with hardly any fuss at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:47 am 
Thanks again.

So you're using firewire to change channels since it's presumably easier than ir blasting. But you're not accepting the video output from firewire, you're getting it over usb, right?

Is there just one tuner card in it? Seems rather large for only having a single tuner card.

Does your cable company give away the hd settop boxes? Mine is charging $15/month!! At that rate I don't see myself spending $225 (settop box cost per year) + $200 (hd-pvr) just to watch tv.
edit: no idea where I got that math?! Are there 15 months int the year? :-)

Thanks, -Abby

Abby

Last edited by abigailsweetashoney on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:54 am 
Thanks. This clears a lot up for me.

You're welcome.

So the HD-PVR is selling like hot cakes I guess? The Hauppauge website says its device connect via USB (??) to your pc? Is this how LinHES connects to it or does it just hang off your LAN?

I think you may be confusing the HD-PVR and the HD Homerun (HDHR). The HD-PVR (takes component input -- as well as composite video I believe) and outputs via USB 2.0. The HDHR is a network based recorder that takes a RF (coaxial) input and can record over-the-air TV (ATSC in the USA) as well as the unencrypted QAM I mentioned in my earlier post. The HDHR connects via 100Mb/s ethernet -- either directly to your backend or indirectly via your local LAN.

Can users of the HD-PVR chime in here? How many people own this gizmo? This seems like a crazy expensive solution. It truly borders on just giving up LinHES altogther, doesn't it?

I own a HD-PVR (as well as the HDHR) and it works beautifully. Small-ish file sizes and really nice video/audio. My only "beef" with the HD-PVR is a reflection of the h.264 codec, not the HD-PVR, and that is there is no easy way to edit the files like there is with mpeg2.

Re: giving up on LinHES: This is not a LinHES specific issue. You can just use your cable co's DVR (usually leased for some outrageous price $10/mo for my cable co) but then what? Watch and delete? Not infinately expandable like MythTV, can't archive things to external media, can't transcode for your portable devices, can't skip/cut commericals, can't store my photos, music, videos... the list goes on.

Gotta run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:01 pm 
I have a new model HD-PVR (id:4903), It's drivers are not implemented in the kernal of the latest LinHes (6.04, 7.00.01) So need to apply a force install of Bugfix 723, which got the HD-PVR working fine, but I need a serial IR Blaster to change the channels on a Dish settopbox. 6 has been kinda remiss on support for ir blaster, but there is Bugfix 328, which got it working on my first implementation (lost when it crashed), but so far hasn't got my second implementation changin' channels on the force install Bug723 6.02 software.

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:29 pm 
Quote:
Re: giving up on LinHES: This is not a LinHES specific issue. You can just use your cable co's DVR (usually leased for some outrageous price $10/mo for my cable co) but then what? Watch and delete? Not infinately expandable like MythTV, can't archive things to external media, can't transcode for your portable devices, can't skip/cut commericals, can't store my photos, music, videos... the list goes on.

Please do not think this is a flame. I love LinHES and thoroughly enjoy it.

My complaint here is the encryption, the providers using encryption, and their enablers (FCC) allowing them to use encryption. If you pay for something you ought to be able to use it. It's a pretty black and white issue for me and has been hammered home many times on these forums.

Looking strictly at the cost to timeshift encrypted HD recordings tho, getting a DVR from your cable/dish provider is cheaper than this solution. :(

Of course I see no reason to drop LinHES entirely. More than half my recordings are clear QAM.

Thanks, -Abby

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:23 pm 
So you're using firewire to change channels since it's presumably easier than ir blasting. But you're not accepting the video output from firewire, you're getting it over usb, right?

Is there just one tuner card in it? Seems rather large for only having a single tuner card.

I also use firewire to change channels as it is perfectly predictable. It is one tuner per box.

Does your cable company give away the hd settop boxes? Mine is charging $15/month!! At that rate I don't see myself spending $225 (settop box cost per year) + $200 (hd-pvr) just to watch tv.

Here in Ottawa I can buy my set top box. I bought them on sale for about C$100 each. Prior to this I used to negotiate with the customer service department to rent them to me for free to retain me as a customer. This worked well but I had to call them annually to renew it.

At least in the US you guys have the option of clear QAM on over the air stations that are rebroadcast on cable. Here they lock everything down which is just so wrong. It forces us to get HD-PVRs for HD as nothing else will work.

I have two HD-PVRs which work very well. The quality is excellent. It is reasonably well supported by the myth community as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:27 pm 
snaproll wrote:
I have a new model HD-PVR (id:4903), It's drivers are not implemented in the kernal of the latest LinHes (6.04, 7.00.01)

To be precise the driver does support all of the HD-PVRs that I know of. However they up-rev the version id and this needs to be added to the driver so that it recognizes it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:33 pm 
christ wrote:
snaproll wrote:
I have a new model HD-PVR (id:4903), It's drivers are not implemented in the kernal of the latest LinHes (6.04, 7.00.01)

To be precise the driver does support all of the HD-PVRs that I know of. However they up-rev the version id and this needs to be added to the driver so that it recognizes it.

I may have phrased that badly.... The drivers work for the previous models of HDPVR, and the 4903 if there's a line recognizing it in there.

I tried the 4903 on both 6.04, and 7.00.01 , and it wouldn't open the HD-PVR in 'cards-setup. I did a clean install from the CD of 6.02, and then did not install the current v4l-dvb drivers, but instead implemented Bugfix 723 (a force install was needed) after which it worked. I'm afraid to update it because I think that'd wipe out the line from the Bugfix723 that recognizes the 4903 with driver or kernal files that still don't have the recognition for that model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:39 am 
So I did some testing to see how many channels I can get via firewire. The good news is that my Scientific Atlanta HD box showed right up. Wondabar!

The bad news is that LinHES does not support channel changing over firewire for my model.

Quote:
2011-03-19 12:59:10.510 FireDev(00223A17324E0000): The Scientific Atlanta 4250 HDC is not supported by any MythTV Firewire channel changer.At the moment you must use an IR blaster.

So before I go any further I have two questions.

1) How do I determine how many channels are visible via this box? The box did not show up at all in the information/sysinfo screen--probably cause no channels were assigned to it I guess. So I could not just manually check--or maybe I can but don't know how.

2) If I go down to the Comcast office and try to BS them into giving me a different model HD box, what model should I strive to get?

Thanks, -Abby

Abby

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next