View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:10 am 
This will get a bit long but I want to be specific about what I'm trying to accomplish. Quickie background: I'm a victim of the recent Comcast encryption and move to DTA box. So here's what I have:

- HDHomerun, picking up the unencrypted channels. Some HD some not.
- DTA running analog into a Hauppauge PVR-250, plus an IR blaster. The DTA decrypts everything but, of course, it's all at standard def resolution.

There is some overlap, e.g. I can tune channel 4 either on digital or analog.
Some digital channels are not available on analog (the HD ones).
Some analog channels are not available on digital (the encrypted ones).

My tuners, in MythTV, are Digital_0, Digital_1, and Analog_0.

My questions:

- Is there a way to assign a specific tuner to specific channels?
- Can "overlap" channels have an affinity - preferring digital tuning over analog?

I've looked closely at the tuner priority stuff but it isn't exactly what I need. What I want, for example - if I'm watching channel 4 via Digital_0, and I change channel to 54, which is encrypted, I want it to automatically switch to the Analog tuner and do the ir blaster channel change appropriately. Similarily if I set a recording on channel 54, it should never attempt to use a digital tuner.

If someone knows a "correct" way to do this, let me know. I'm guessing it is similar to using an antenna + cable combination, but I haven't done that, so any help is appreciated.

I'm very familiar with Myth's database schema and comfortable manually altering the db if needed.

Thanks!

Last edited by Speed_D on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:41 pm 
You should be able to do that by changing or editing the lineup for each tuner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:05 pm 
OK... so I set up a second Video Source for my analog tuner. This gets me partway there.

In the channels table, I see 'sourceid' is assigned to one of the Video Sources.

So what's the best way to handle channels that are available on both digital and analog? It looks to me like I either have to pick one (digital) and not assign the other, or I have to put two rows in the channel table for the same channel.

Is that the only way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:23 pm 
Quote:
It looks to me like I either have to pick one (digital) and not assign the other

That's what I'd do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:07 pm 
Found some additional info after scrounging awhile.

You can create two rows in the channels table for the same channel, and have it show up only once in the program guide. The channel number and callsign must be the same. Obviously, you want to make sure the content for those channels is identical.

So for example, I have sourceid = 1 for digital lineup, 2 for analog. In my channel table I can have:

chanid, channum, freqid, sourceid, callsign, name ... etc
3, 3, 79.2, 1, KWPX, ION (digital)
3000, 3, 3, 2, KWPX, ION (analog)

... and my program guide only shows a single Channel 3. Watching TV and changing to that channel will just stay on whichever source you're currently on. If you want to record, you can tell it to prefer a source, or you can set up your tuner priorities and let it choose automatically.

Hope that helps someone else out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:59 pm 
As a side note, my machine doesn't have a jack for the serial port. I ended up getting a USB ir blaster from IguanaWorks that performs quite well. Setup took some tinkering but that's about par for the course with lirc.