View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:41 pm 
I just installed R5.5.

I figured out, after a reinstall, that you can't remotely login as root. Fun. Unfortunately, I don't know how to upload videos/shows from my windows box to the new mythtv box now.

I used R5.0 previously *IIRC* and it let me login remotely as root. I'd use Tunneler to connect, and just upload my videos.

Now, I can't seem to do it. I KNOW there has to be a way to do it. I even tried chmod 777 on the /mythtv/video/motion folder. That worked but still won't let me upload videos.

Been searching for the answer for the last two hours and it's driving me bonkers.

Any ideas?

-------------------------
Sort of solved. Finally figured out that I can close the sftp window in Tunneler, use su in the opened terminal window, and then open a new sftp window with the priviledges I need.

I just don't know how to automatically do this with tunneler in one step, or set the mythbox to just let my regular user login be able to upload.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:57 am 
I'm 99% sure what your problem is, but let me give you a few more non-root options first.

In my machine's mythtv directory, I have the videos permissions like this:

drwxrwsr-x 3 mythtv mythtv 4096 2009-12-17 00:29 videos

Then I added my normal non-root user to the mythtv group (man adduser), and I can write files there. WinSCP is an alternative program you can try in Windows for sftp copying.

Another option is to set up Samba and share that folder out to Windows. Setting up Samba can be tricky, though.

Finally, your most likely culprit is in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
There's a line in there:

PermitRootLogin no

I'd recommend leaving it that way for a more secure machine, but changing it to yes will probably restore your old behavior. Might need to restart sshd after making the change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:21 am 
Speed_D wrote:
I'm 99% sure what your problem is, but let me give you a few more non-root options first.

In my machine's mythtv directory, I have the videos permissions like this:

drwxrwsr-x 3 mythtv mythtv 4096 2009-12-17 00:29 videos

Then I added my normal non-root user to the mythtv group (man adduser), and I can write files there. WinSCP is an alternative program you can try in Windows for sftp copying.

Another option is to set up Samba and share that folder out to Windows. Setting up Samba can be tricky, though.

Finally, your most likely culprit is in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
There's a line in there:

PermitRootLogin no

I'd recommend leaving it that way for a more secure machine, but changing it to yes will probably restore your old behavior. Might need to restart sshd after making the change.

Ah, much thanks. I've got a very restricted network, so I don't really need to secure my mythtv box. Not too worried about someone getting into my network, especially just to access the mythbox.

Adding to the mythtv group is probably best though. I'm just surprised it didn't automatically do that when I ran the default install. I might have missed a step in the setup though. Not sure I went through the add storage groups, now that I think of it.

I may play with Samba later, but sftp works fine for me (until today anyway)

Thanks again.