View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: comcast on vacation
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:48 pm 
So we're in Sarasota on vacation and I'm in shock. Comcast is providing over 24 hd channels unencrypted.

We're from south Jersey and (last time I checked) comcast only provides abc, cbs, fox, and pbs hd channels unencrypted there.

So my question is HUH!? What is the rhyme or reason here? This is exceedingly annoying.

Any comments?

Thanks, -Abs

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:46 am 
My guess is that it is only a matter of time until they begin encrypting those channels.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:25 pm 
sometimes there's a 'teaser weekend' where they provide some stations for free. maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:17 pm 
re: teaser weekend >> Staying with relatives. They've had no box for over a year and report plenty of hd channels.

re: encrypted >> It's not that I want this town to be encrypted, I'm just jealous as !@#$% that south Jersey costs me $300+ a year for what's free here. Yuk.

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:24 pm 
abigailsweetashoney wrote:
re: encrypted >> It's not that I want this town to be encrypted, I'm just jealous as !@#$% that south Jersey costs me $300+ a year for what's free here. Yuk.

I am currently paying $95/month for high speed internet, expanded basic digital channels & hidef. No movie or premium channels. It is too expensive for the value. I am going to convert to DSL + basic cable for a total cost of $50/month. I will loose some of the channels I watch like Scfi, but the $40/month will more than fund purchasing those on a "pay per view" basis on Amazon. Alternatively, I can watch some of them on Hulu...

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:26 pm 
I'm going to have to look into hulu when I have time.

My comcast bill is significantly higher than $300/yr. I'm just complaining about the settop boxes they require to decrypt what I pay for. $8/mo. for sd box and $15/mo. for hd box.

My full bill is $156/mo. but that's the triple play deal, phone/internet/tv.

<rant on>
On a side note their vmail sucks too. It can go out with no notice. Thus if you get that important phone call while you're not home, you'll flat out miss out. (i.e. Mom is in the hospital, come to ABC emergency room quick!, or Your child slipped and fell at school, come quick!)

You do not get a refund for vmail being down since it's a "free feature" they give you and you do not pay for. Lastly you do get a wonderful vmail msg saying that it was down. You can retrieve that msg when it is back up. Hmmmm.....

</rant off>

Abby

Post subject: Comcast unreliable
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:02 pm 
My mom has Comcast and they just can't keep the service running. She has triple play and her internet and voice are always going out. TV stays on more than voice/data, but it goes out a lot too. Overall, her phone is out 10% of the time!!!

Not good for my 86-year-old mom who doesn't have much to do but talk on the phone and watch TV. (OK, the data plan is for the business computer we keep at mom's place.)

Comcast customer service is pure crap. I've been complaining about it for MONTHS and get no resolution. No competition and look what you get -- crap.