View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:23 am 
I have just renovated my house and now have my LinHES box connected to a 55" Samsung LED TV and it looks great. However I want to "WOW" people with LinHES in that I really want to show off what it can do. Does anyone have like a plan or script that they follow when they are showing off there Myth box?

I'm not much of a salesman so that why I am reaching out ot you all here, especially since TV ads have started whereby they are talking about turning off the analog signal and people have to move to digital.

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some ideas on how to best show off this wonderful product.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:47 pm 
Hard to say. I have a couple of teenagers here and they use it continuously and their friends are impressed, but they all seem to be discouraged when they hear it's Linux. The way they are taught in school, it seems that they believe Linux is a toy. They would rather pay out of their own wallets to get "real" Winchucks. Arrgh! :x

What attracts their friends' attention is browsing through the vast list of recorded programs, seeing that multiple recordings are in progress and being able to jump in anywhere. The guide is also pretty catching, but the more advanced features such as recording any program with the words "world war two", "miss Marple" and such are too hard for outsiders to understand, but the family is greatly impressed when they see that it works.

50" does take a fork lift to get off the floor, right? :shock: Or is the gravity problem smaller "down under"? :wink:

Cheers,
/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB
FE3: Asus Eeebox410

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:35 pm 
The weight of the 55" is pretty good actually being an LED is is much lighter than my 46" LCD and much thinner. However back to the topic, I was even showing Toy Story at 1080p and the only reaction I got the other day was, it looks nice.

I really don't know what I am expecting I suppose, but what I am trying to "sell" to poeple if you are going to upgrade your 4 year old computer we can turn it into a Mythbox and you have it all. If only they would believe me. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:37 pm 
Girkers wrote:
The weight of the 55" is pretty good actually being an LED is is much lighter than my 46" LCD and much thinner.

Uh. I don't wanna alarm you, but your "LED" set is also an LCD! The only thing that's "LED" about the TV is the backlight. I'm surprised at how far Samsung goes to obfuscate this fact in their promotion -- to the point that even sales droids at Fry's sometimes don't realize that all current "LED" TV sets use LCD panels for the imager.

But I know you're a sharp guy and you already knew this. It's just for lurkers who are considering a new set.

-- Joe B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:46 pm 
Thanks Liv2Cod I did know this and there is a lot to research when it comes to TVs it wasn't an easy decision. It is funny and mildly on topic, when I watch a Blu-Ray (1080p) on my LCD whilst it is clear I don't think it looks right (only 24 frames per sec). Where as when I play a 1080p on my LED through my Mythbox it looks great, anyway that is for another topic of conversation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:46 am 
Liv2Cod wrote:
...sales droids...

:lol:

Anyway, on topic, what seems to impress people the most is a massive list of recordings, a "what do you wanna watch" and a massive list of all the episodes from that show. Add a look into the videos and see your entire DVD collection there (which you have ripped, of course). Maybe add a "and all this on hardware too old to run WinXP", which they will have trouble believing when they see your sleek HTPC box. Maybe a noisy, tarnished, beige desktop would be better proof... :wink:

Cheers,
/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB
FE3: Asus Eeebox410

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:00 am 
For me the most impressive functional (as compared to eye candy) features to show others for my setup are:

-Auto commercial skip
- Hulu desktop
- Setting up a recording from my cell phone (mythweb)
- Watching a recording from mythweb flash.
- Home movies in the Mythvideo (nothing like having 80 hours of home movies available at the touch of a button in case some friends wont go home)

There certainly are other things that Mythtv/Linhes does well but these stand out especially when compared to other commercial products like Tivo or the cable company's DVRs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:59 am 
for me its all of the above, but add in a little weather and game emulation with wireless joysticks.

escape into pacman man! on the 55 inch LCD!