View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:46 am 
This is a rather peculiar problem. I like to record old episodes of QI (BBC quiz show) as they are shown on ABC here in Australia. The strange thing is that the majority of the time, when I try to watch the recording I get the "file for this recording cannot be found" (or whatever the exact wording is). This does not happen on ANY the recording of any other programme, only QI.

There are no other recordings taking place at the same time on either of the other two tuners and there is adequate disk space.

Is my HTPC developing a dislike of Stephen Fry or is there a more sane explanation? :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:10 pm 
I record this show every week. I'm using EIT guide data and have the recording schedule "Record at any time on channel ABC1". I've had the problem of missing files for recordings, not for particular shows but particular channels. Sometimes I've had the problem where one tuner can tune into a channel ok but the other can't and the file is missing when the recording is made on the bad tuner. If you don't record many other programs on that channel this could be it. The solution I had to this was to tune into different broadcast towers for the channels. I'm in Melbourne, in the inner-city. The best signals for me are from the Como Centre in South Yarra, but the channels were tuned from Mount Dandenong. I had to get a list of frequencies for the Como Centre and do a scan on the multiplexes for those in the Channel Editor of mythtv-setup. You may need to create the multiplexes manually if they're not there. An extensive list of frequencies by area is at http://www.acma.gov.au/acmainterwr/_assets/main/lib100059/tv_8.pdf. Another thing is that I think there was a problem where it would find the channels on the multiplex but still keep the old multiplex. I'm not sure if this is the case with the current mythtv version, but you might need to update the channels in the database to point to the new multiplex. The multiplex table in the database is dtv_multiplex. The column in the channel table is mplexid. Another reason why I went through this process is that I had digital glitches (that squeaking sound and picture breakup) in some channels. I now have no glitches.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:47 pm 
grd wrote:
is there a more sane explanation? :|

Just to add to Silentmic's post, every single time I have experienced this (and it has been a lot of times) the fault lay with insufficient signal strength. Some cards need a really strong signal and some don't. You have mentioned that you have two tuners but nothing else about your hardware, or your location. When you ask for help in the forums it's helpful to supply more information than this: Most of us put our location in the sig, some include hardware too.

What tuners are you using? Where are you? What form of guide data are you using?

Mike

Post subject: More info
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:30 pm 
My apologies for the lack of extra relevant info, I'm in Perth and I'm using Asus U3100 tuners (USB dongles). The signal is pretty strong and I can record pretty much anything other than QI on ABC with 100% reliability. I'm using Shepherd for guide data and that's generally very reliable. In the rare instance where I've been around at the right time to watch it during the broadcast then everything appears fine.

My machine is an ASRock Ion 330 running LinHes6.0, quite a nice little unit for my needs.

Post subject: Re: More info
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:27 pm 
How are you supplying the same antenna signal to both tuners?

Can you switch between the tuners (tuned to ABC) using the menu?

I'd also have a look at hardware: Check /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log for usb and other errors around the time that QI screens.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:49 pm 
Oddly enough, I had a missed QI recording last week, and I'm in Perth also. At the time the recoding failed, i went into live TV and there was no issue watchin QI that way. Odd. Reactivating the recoding didnt work (i dont know how to work that properly anyway). I use 2xHDHomeruns, which are rock solid recorders.

Last nights QI recording went fine with no intervention. I put it down to guide data problems, potentially related to the channel rescan to pickup GEM and 7Mate. After the rescan it unhid a bunch of channels i hid, which might have confused the recording schedule.

All appears ok this week, did your record ok last night?

I use shepherd for EPG, and i know theres been some discussion about the quality of guide data in the last week or so, with reconcillers mixing things up a bit.

Cheers,

Nathan

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 pm 
nmcaullay wrote:
All appears ok this week, did your record ok last night?

Yep, it went fine, though it does work about 10% of the time. I'll see how it goes next week. That said, I sat down to watch it and fell fast asleep! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:48 pm 
Thats the beauty of Myth, you can fall asleep again tonight watching QI! :)

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:54 am 
One thing about when you can watch a channel on Live TV but not record the same channel is that the priorities of the tuners are different for live tv to recordings. I find that the highest priority tuner will be used for recordings but the lowest will be used for live tv. If the lowest priority tuner has the stronger signal then it will work on live tv. If you're using USB tuners you can try unplugging each of them at different times and seeing how recordings go on ABC1.

About the antenna splitter, I had to use an amplified splitter - like the one at http://dicksmith.com.au/product/L4215/kingray-2-way-tv-splitter-amplifier.