View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Silicondust HDHR Prime
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:55 pm 
I realize this device has not been released yet, and from what I've read it is only going to work with Windoze MCE. The reason I bring it up is because my cable provider WOW! (http://tinyurl.com/4t3vgab) is transitioning to all digital, rendering my Hauppauge cards practically useless. I have an HDHR, but the "Basic Tier" we subscribe to is going to be encrypted (no Clear QAM). If the HDHR Prime was able to work with MythTV, oh how glorious that would be! I realize this is a bit of a rant, but I hate to see hundreds of dollars of gear become mostly unusable. Has anyone heard anything different about this device? That is, might it be usable with MythTV? I sure hope so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:16 am 
I recently went thru the same pain. I now have a dual HD Homerun created with two virtual tuners. Thus four tuners via the HDHR.

For encrypted stuff I bit the bullet and bought another STB. Lo and behold Comcast lowered the charge for a HD STB to $9.25/month from a previous high of $15/month. So I am paying another $120 a year to record those encrypted channels. The SD channels are pumped out of the new HD STB and into a PVR-350. I used it for its built in remote and so I didn't have to buy another streamzap remote. I then removed all the HD channels in the Channel Editor so the kids can't use them.

I did not buy the Hauppauge Colossus card ($150 amazon.com) nor the external Hauppauge HD PVR ($180 amazon.com) so I'm paying for HD content that is encrypted and cannot be recorded. Component or HDMI is required to record HD tv and none of my PVR-x50's or PCHD-5500's have that ability.

Much of my experience is described on this thread. Hope it can help you too.

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20660

Thanks, Abby

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:27 am 
WOW does have the local channels unencrypted, so a normal QAM tuner will work. I use my HDHR with an antenna in one port and the other is plugged into the cable. Very handy since I am on the edge of broadcast range and get lots of interference in bad weather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:41 am 
Not for long uteck. They are transitioning to digital cable-check their website.

Quote:
We are upgrading our WOW! network in order to be able to deliver more services to our customers in the future. The upgrade entails converting WOW! Cable channels from analog to digital format. Upon completion, the WOW! Cable line-up you receive today will be delivered in an all-digital format. In addition, we will launch 50 new HD channels over the course of this transition. We'll also have a foundation from which to deliver even more advanced services in the future, such as higher Internet speeds and interactive television features. To continue watching your channel lineup uninterrupted, you will need to have a WOW! Digital Adapter or other WOW! digital equipment on every TV you use to watch WOW! Cable. WOW! digital equipment includes: Digital Adapters, Standard Digital Receivers, HD Receivers, DVRs, HD DVRs or authorized cable cards.

Quote:
Information regarding the timing of channel migrations and HD channel launches are
not yet available for the Illinois area. Please continue to check back for updates.
Additionally, you will be notified by mail regarding timing and details for the digital
transition in the Illinois area.

https://www.wowdigitaladapter.com/DigitalTransitionSchedule.aspx

We start conversion here in Michigan middle of May. I believe Ohio already has. Sure you can get the local channels, but most of the programming I want to watch will become encrypted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:44 am 
Comcast did the same thing here last year, they transitioned all the extended basic channels to clear QAM for a while, and then encrypted them. This recent /. article gives a big clue as to why:

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/11/03/ ... eaming-App

Much as the cable companies want to loot your wallet with dubious "value added" services and see forcing cable boxes on people as a means to that end, the real problem is the "broadcast" operators who are terrified of change, even if it might ultimately be to their benefit (at least if they got off their lazy asses and adapted a bit). Changing times are full of opportunities, but taking advantage of them requires more intellectual effort than say, sitting around with your thumb up it and having your assistant call the lawyers, who are as happy as a pig in mud for a chance to litigate and make some $$$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:57 pm 
Yes, the lawyers are always more than happy litigating their way into our pocket books through "passed on" fees due to frivolous lawsuits. People do not realize how much the big rewards given to suers jack up our everyday costs. I have heard it is in the thousands of dollars every year. Not to mention the government in our wallets every time we turn around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:15 am 
Good news for WOW! subscribers! Enough of us "pushed back" that they have decided NOT to encrypt the Basic Service tier! They have been a really good company for all the years I've been with them, and they made the right decision. Now my htpc investment will not be for naught!

Kudos to WOW!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:05 pm 
dont forget about the ceton cable card box that was developed on linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 am 
cantator wrote:
Good news for WOW! subscribers! Enough of us "pushed back" that they have decided NOT to encrypt the Basic Service tier!

Just received my paperwork in the mail yesterday. Looks like all basic channels, 2-88, will not be encrypted as cantator stated. This means the my two HDHomerun units will still work, and all that needs to change is the recording schedules for the current shows.

Might setup Multirec for the HDHomerun units to get more available recordings (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Multirec). Shall see.