View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:44 am 
Some success - "Watch TV" is showing video on the screen. Video quality is not as nice compared to Intervideo WinDVD video decoders under Windows, but is good enough for now.

However, two problems:

1. Aspect ratio is incorrect. How do I change the aspect ratio for a widescreen 16:9 TV running at 1024x768?

2. No digital audio. I don't have any analogue connections, so I can't test it. I tried the digital audio howto at http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/inde ... AudioHowTo and the drivers have been compiled and successfully loaded. Then I went to Settings -> General and changed Audio from "/dev/dsp" to "ALSA:digital". Then "Watch TV", and mythtv-frontend exits without giving any messages. The guide mentions this may have changed with R4V5, and something about /dev/adsp - this doesn't work, and I'm not sure where to go from here. ****CORRECTION, need to follow instructions to get MythMusic to play through digital out (these are the /dev/adsp instructions). Audio is now working I think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:58 am 
1) if you do the math you will find that 1024x768 is not 16:9 but 4:3 there are places to change the aspect ratio, but they are all going to distort the picture. The best you can probably do is just record it 4:3 and use the best mode on the tv for instance on mine it's called smooth wide. unfortunately there is no way that I know of other than using true hdtv modes with a true hdtv connection to get true 16:9 out to a tv.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:20 am 
Xsecrets wrote:
1) if you do the math you will find that 1024x768 is not 16:9 but 4:3 there are places to change the aspect ratio, but they are all going to distort the picture. The best you can probably do is just record it 4:3 and use the best mode on the tv for instance on mine it's called smooth wide. unfortunately there is no way that I know of other than using true hdtv modes with a true hdtv connection to get true 16:9 out to a tv.

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure if you understand my question. The screen is widescreen running a non-square pixel resolution, which is not unusual. The video content is 16:9 DVB-T, which also does not use a non-square pixel resolution. This video content is supposed to fill the 16:9 screen, but instead, it looks squashed.

PS, I know I can use modeline parameters in XF86Config-4 to create a custom 16:9 square pixel resolution, but I'd still like to know how to stretch the image just for interest :)

****EDIT****** /usr/share/mythtv/keys.txt shows - W to cycle through 4:3 aspect ratio, 16:9, 4:3 Zoom (like Pan and Scan),
16:9 Zoom, and 16:9 Stretch (eliminates black sidebars in TV signal)

I'm also interested in zooming as well ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:42 am 
Okay, quite happy with things now thanks to the help of all of you guys!! Thanks :D

Now, one last major problem is about tuning to AC3 audio, and high definition channels. I need to get some zzzZZZ, and I'll look at it more tomorrow ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:39 pm 
if it is actually 16:9 content you can record it at 16:9 by changing the recording profiles.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:59 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
if it is actually 16:9 content you can record it at 16:9 by changing the recording profiles.
I don't think you get a choice Xsecrets, with DVB-T it just records the MPEG2 stream that is transmitted, which in Australia, as sammo said, is 16:9 aspect, and I think on standard def channels is 720x576 (i.e. not square pixels).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:26 pm 
ahh sorry never messed with dvb. you know we don't get that here.

Xsecrets

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:23 pm 
Install knoppmyth R5V10. OK!

Channel scanning works, by entering frequencies of each known transport (http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=22). Note that the backend must be stopped with "/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop" before you can scan! Channels 2, 3, 7, 9, 10 OK! Also, extra channels 21, 22, 30, 31, 32, 33, 70, 71, 72, 73, 77, 90, 99, 1, 11, 12, 13, 14, 100, etc OK!

But DIGITAL FOURTY FOUR causes problems!! The transport info says it is 0Hz (57) (1), which is obviously wrong - and then mythbackend log complains that it can't find channel info when starting the backend. This is the only channel that uses QAM16 instead of QAM64, if that is a clue for anyone?? Any ideas?

EPG setup works by replacing tv_grab_au with the new script (mentioned in this thread) into /usr/bin, and by manually entering XMLTVID in channels 1, 2, 7, 9, SBS, SBSNews. The format is: "freesd.Sydney.7.d1.com.au". Also, uncheck "Visible" in all other channels - this will prevent extra channels (71, 72, 73, etc) from being displayed in the guide. Then mkdir /var/local/tv_grab_au. Then chown mythtv /var/local/tv_grab_au. Then chgrp mythtv /var/local/tv_grab_au. Then run /etc/cron.daily/mythtv-backend (or something like that - i'm not in front of the box now).

EPG works great, except there is no OSD program info for extra channels (71, 72, 73, etc). I tried putting the same XMLTVID (e.g. freesd.Sydney.7.d1.com.au for 71, 72, 73, etc) into those channels, but only one of the channels gets OSD info. This is a bit annoying especially for channels 1 and 10, which are always the same.

AC3 audio also works, and I can change audio tracks by pressing "+" while watching both live TV or recorded TV. But when I have periods of bad reception (won't go into this), ac3 audio cuts out and doesn't resume until i exit and re-enter watchtv mode ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:01 pm 
I have installed R5V12 and channel scanning sort of worked but I ended up editing the DB manually to set the channels up. Maybe I didn't shut down the backend, I can't remember.

I got tv_grab_au from the R5V12 release working but after mythfilldatabase runs once or twice channels 5, 6, 30 & 31 appear on my program listing even when I have made them invisible before.

Also, has anyone got channel guide information/script update for ABC2 yet? I notice d1 has a dataset for ABC2 but never contains any information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:21 am 
I'm still using R5V10, and I'm using the tv_grab_au that fetches the guide from ninemsn.com (not d1.com.au) .. It was easy to edit the script to include ABC2

I have never ever been able to get anything working with d1.com.au, so i suggest u look at towards the beginning of this thread and use the ninemsn script instead ..

Post another msg if u have any more problems and i'll be more than happy to help if i can :)

good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:22 am 
Can someone help me out with how I should be running this scan program, and what the expected result is? I can't find any information on exactly its supposed to run.

I ran # scan /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/au-sydney_north_shore

And I get this:

Quote:
# scan /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/au-sydney_north_shore
scanning /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/au-sydney_north_shore
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
initial transponder 226500000 1 3 0 3 1 1 0
initial transponder 177500000 1 2 0 3 1 2 0
initial transponder 191625000 1 3 0 3 1 1 0
initial transponder 219500000 1 3 0 3 1 1 0
initial transponder 571500000 1 2 0 3 1 2 0
>>> tune to: 226500000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_7_MHZ:FEC_3_4:FEC_NONE:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_16:HIERARCHY_NONE
WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0011
WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0000
WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0010
>>> tune to: 177500000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_7_MHZ:FEC_2_3:FEC_NONE:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_8:HIERARCHY_NONE
>>> tune to: 191625000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_7_MHZ:FEC_3_4:FEC_NONE:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_16:HIERARCHY_NONE
>>> tune to: 219500000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_7_MHZ:FEC_3_4:FEC_NONE:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_16:HIERARCHY_NONE
>>> tune to: 571500000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_7_MHZ:FEC_2_3:FEC_NONE:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_8:HIERARCHY_NONE
dumping lists (0 services)
Done.

Is this how its supposed to look? Where is the PIDS? What are the PIDS?

Also, I've attempted to do channel scanning using mythtv-setup, but with no success. It gets 5% into doing a scan and just sits there doing nothing. I left it there for about 20 mins and nothing happened.

Help! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:54 pm 
daveg wrote:
Done.

Dave, that means that no (zero, nada, zip) channels were found. It probably means that your antenna or cabling is bad, or that you need an RF amplifier.

Bad DVB driver is also a possibility, but less likely. What card are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:56 pm 
nigelpearson wrote:
daveg wrote:
Done.

nigelpearson wrote:
Dave, that means that no (zero, nada, zip) channels were found. It probably means that your antenna or cabling is bad, or that you need an RF amplifier.

And I guess even though my antenna picks up analogue happily, there's no guarantee of good digital reception? :roll: I get perfect analogue reception (except for channel 7) where I am (not even any ghosting). I do need to get an antenna guy to check out why channel 7 is so bad (something happened to the antenna in a storm I think). Perhaps I'd better get that sorted out before I pull my hair out anymore over this.

DVD, music, videos and games all happily work on this thing at the moment, so I guess I can't complain.

nigelpearson wrote:
Bad DVB driver is also a possibility, but less likely. What card are you using?
I'm using a DVICO FusionHDTV. KnoppMyth seemed to happily pick up the card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:56 am 
There are a number of flavours of that DVICO card (Lite, Full, T1, and I think one more). I have the T1 and had to compile a new kernel to get it to work. See http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4527. Nigel has the Lite card so, if you have that card too, he may be of more help. I think the lite is supposed to work with an unpatched kernel for a vew versions now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:10 am 
Greg Frost wrote:
There are a number of flavours of that DVICO card (Lite, Full, T1, and I think one more). I have the T1 and had to compile a new kernel to get it to work. See http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4527. Nigel has the Lite card so, if you have that card too, he may be of more help. I think the lite is supposed to work with an unpatched kernel for a vew versions now.
According to the box, I've got a DVICO FusionHDTV Plus. I thought that I saw something in the KnoppMyth changelog about it being patched for this card, but I guess I saw something else. Bummer. Guess its time to do some kernel compiling.

Were you able to get the remote working that came with your card?

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next