View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:14 am 
I was setting up a system at the house and when I installed a new client, it got 0.17 (via apt-get), so I upgraded the server without realizing it was brand new.

Now I've got a persisent hum under on any audio played over the network. When you turn the volume up, the hum comes up as well. More like a rumbling. :( I don't recall hearing it before but I wasn't doing much over the network before either. I'm hearing this on two different clients (a desktop and a laptop) so I don't think it's the client soundcards. I've swapped out the tuner card (it's a cheap bttv card w/a 848 chip in it. The audio gets routed through the soundcard via a patch cable for this card.

When I am watching TV, etc on the mythbackend box, the audio sounds fine. I've tried several different sound cards in the server as well. Now I'm back to the cheap on-board i810 intel sound (on an ECS 7S5a board). It's got a 1.2 gzh AMD Thunderbird, 512 megs ram, 200 gigs of hard drive... (anything else you need to know?)

Anyone else using 0.17 or has anyone heard of anything similar? I'm about to just uninstall on the server and roll back to 0.16 if no-one has any ideas.

TIA

btw, is the right forum for this post?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:25 am 
Well anyone running knoppmyth R5A10 or R5A12 is using 0.17 It's been out for a while now.

Xsecrets

Post subject: Oh well...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:39 am 
Gotcha... thanks. I guess I'll just downgrade the system and see what that does for me. I was hoping to get lucky and have someone say that's caused by X, it's easy to fix. :)

The upgrade was trivial... any ideas as to whether or not database schemas, etc were upgraded in non-backwards-compatible fashion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:44 am 
Quote:
etc were upgraded in non-backwards-compatible fashion

no they werent... sorry It may workstill however, but you might have random weirdness as well i wouldnt

Post subject:
the databases are definitely upgraded, not sure what will happen when trying to downgrade. Just cause I didn't answer your question about the audio doesn't mean someone else won't I don't do any (none at all) frontend backend stuff, so I have zero experience in the area you are asking about.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
Look around a bit, other folks seem to have done the downgrade successfully, so I'd guess there aren't any major obstacles...

Post subject: Issue resolved
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:41 pm 
Hi all,

Thanks for the input, the issue has been fixed. Short version? The KDE sound system (arts) was causing the noise.

Long version: Being the person that I am, I wiped the box and re-installed Kubuntu linux, then re-installed 0.17. After hearing that lots of folks were using with no problems, I decided to forge ahead.

Tried using a new SoundBlaster Audigy for the sound card, but couldn't get any signal from /dev/dsp, although you could hear the audio when the tuner was active. I tried w/Kmix and alsa_mixer to get the line in to route properly but nothing worked, so I went back to the onboard sound with the motherboard and that's working fine.

I also tried messing around w/various audiomux settings, wasting much time, thinking that the hum was caused by me not using the card properly. This card is a very cheap (and very undocumented) card (I paid $10 for it). Turns out it was working fine though.

Finally found a web reference to the KDE sound system causing all sorts of crazy problems, so I turned it off. Go to the Control Center, select the Sound System entry and click the "Start the Sound System" checkbox. After that it all worked fine.