All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:43 am 
Hey guys,
Wollongong, Australia user here.
Am running r5a15.

Ok, been following most of the posts in here, thought I had my head around it all.

Currently:

Have used the ninemsn script, modified it & pulled my local area channels down. This puts channels in with no PIDS, so cant watch these channels.

If I use mythtv to scan for channels, (putting in frequency, etc), It finds channels, I can watch, but they do not line up to the channels found with the ninemsn script. I end up with multiple channels and no guides.

I decided to scrap all this and do the following:

Using ninemsn script, within mythtv-setup, configure Video Source.
Within mythtv-setup, configure input connection to video source.
Run mythfilldatabase to let the script pull down guides (runs fine, generates file ok)
Using dvb-utils scan utility, scanned area & got channel information into channels.conf
Used Nigel's channels.conf-import.pl script to import channels.conf. Worked fine, asking me to match up the channels to the correct names, reported to work OK.
Went in to channel editor, no channels had Channel numbers. Set numbers for each channel. Checked starting channel to confirm was ok.
Tried to watch LiveTV, black screen, log reports No PIDS set.
Went back in to mythtv-setup > Channel Editor > Advanced. Noticed no transports in here.

I am running out of ideas. I must be close.

Any ideas? Nigel?

Thanks guys,

Aaron.
________
Courier

Last edited by jacobsa on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:45 pm 
sounds like you are going to be stuck doing basically the same thing you have to with the new dvb drivers for hdtv and copy the xmlids over to the scanned channels to get guide data for them.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:22 pm 
I have just tried that now.

Scanned for channels, (only a few for testing), copied the XMLTVID from the channels imported from the tv_grab_au script but still nothing.

If I set my default channel to one of the SCANNED channels, then go to watch tv, I can watch it, but no guide. If I go to the program guide and check the other channels, the ones that I cant watch tv on (no pids) have the guides!

I dont understand what you mean by the new DVB drivers for hdtv? Is there new drivers in this version that dont function correclty?
________
Yamaha Mio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:36 pm 
The drivers for the hd3000 ?? have recently changed over from some other interface to supporting a DVB style interface. As a result, the guys using these new drivers have had similar problem with matching up xmltv ids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:14 pm 
I have made some progress.

Im using an Avermedia DVB-T 771.

My bad with the guides not going on the other channels. I didnt realise the same XMLTVID couldnt be used on more than one channel.

So now:

Scan for channels through mythtv-setup, manually enter the XMLTVID, and we seem to be away.

One problem, prime, ten & win all scan & load fine. ABC & SBS having issues. It either LOCKS, then signal lost, then fails to tune, or LOCKS, setting currenTID then freezes. Only for those two channels. Reception shouldnt be a problem, as I have a didital box sitting next to me and it scans and picks up fine.

I used scan from dvb-apps to create a channel.conf and that gives me a perfect listing of all channels and PIDS.

Without using an import script (that didnt work for me before), how can I manually enter the PIDS into myth. I have manually created a channel, set the details on the first page, second page asks me for the frequency, which I enter, but thats it. There should be more details for the channel, that are viewable in channels.conf. Am I correct?

Thanks

Aaron
________
Jailbroken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:45 pm 
When you entered the parameters for the transport, did you enter everything? And if so, are you sure you had the parameters right? I fiddled with the parameters using the linuxtv scan and they seemed to make no difference, but perhaps with the myth scan, you need to get them right (or leave them as Auto). Having said that, it is 7 and SBS that are different from the others not ABC and SBS. http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=76
Are you getting good signal level?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:08 am 
I agree in that it doesnt make sence why those two channels would have problems, but I managed to get them tuned in.

It required me to go into advanced > create the transport & enter the settings.

Then perform a scan on just that transport.

Got the channels in ok, entered the correct XMLTVID and away we went.
________
Vaporite solo

Last edited by jacobsa on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:12 am 
Hey, can someone do me a quick favour and tell me:

In mythtv-setup under general.
2nd screen.

Location of:

directory to hold recordings:

Directory to hold live-tv buffers.

Ive modified mine and stuffed them, and forgot to write down the defaults. :P

Im assuming they should point to /cache or something along those lines.

Thanks
Aaron
________
Roor Bongs

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:53 pm 
jacobsa wrote:
Used Nigel's channels.conf-import.pl script to import channels.conf.

Hi Aaron. That script is only for old versions of MythTV (before 0.17) that couldn't scan. I have not updated it for 0.17 & 0.18 because no-one should need it. I guess it should be removed from KnoppMyth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:16 pm 
The live recordings I do believe is /cache.

With directory to hold recordings, I think so please don't quote me, is /tv

According to the Wiki:
http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/index.php?page=KnoppMythInstall

it is /cache/cache & /myth as per the manual installation doco.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:26 pm 
If you've only got one card "live" TV gets recorded into the file: /cache/cache/ringbuf1.nuv

Normal recordings end up in /myth/tv/ with a name of the form: <channel-ID>_<start-date-time>_<end-date-time>.nuv for example "1069_20050430020000_20050430030000.nuv" recorded from channel 69 on 2005.Apr.30 from 2AM to 3AM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:20 am 
Quote:
Hi Aaron. That script is only for old versions of MythTV (before 0.17) that couldn't scan. I have not updated it for 0.17 & 0.18 because no-one should need it. I guess it should be removed from KnoppMyth.

Thanks Nigel, my bad. I didnt see anything relating to that, so I was trying to get it going.

Thanks for the info guys, helped me get things back to normal.

Only thing I dont have to complete my backend is logo's for Australian stations. Im using the ninemsn script which doesnt pull down logo's.

Any fellow aussies know where I can pull these down from manually?

Cheers.

Aaron
________
Michigan Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:13 am 
Answered my own question.

http://www.satlogo.com/

Works a treat.
________
Vaporizer store

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:02 am 
So with all the tooing and froing I am still up in the air as to how to get the TV guide to work with DVB.

I too am an Aussie, Gyday mate! in lovely Brisvegas. I can scan the channels no worries, signal strength is not the greatest compared to with Windows, but you get that.

The question is the guide, is there a way to get it to line up with the scanned channels. I have looked through the script and it looks sort of simple enough to understand how it gets the info, but after that I am stuck.

I would like to help get an Aussie Digital wiki going if possible, but I do not possess all of the right information and thus would require assistance from everyone.

Any takers, also responses for my other questions are greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:02 am 
Ok, well Im a two weeks old to mythtv, a few late nights and I ended up working it all out.

I will give my basic run down of what I did to get tv guide & channels set up in R5A15.

If someone wants to turn this into an info sheet, by all means go for it.

1. Get Knoppmyth loaded & your drivers for your individual card set up. (See other help sheets/forums for this).

2. Get the tv_grab_au script that connects to ninemsn from this site:
http://users.on.net/~manser/dvb/tv_grab_au
Drop that into /usr/bin (move the old one out, or overwrite) and give it the correct permissions:
chmod 755 tv_grab_au

3. Edit the tv_grab_au file to suite your needs. This is where it gets specific to your area. If you live in Canberra, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, you just need to remove the comment for the correct are. If you live anywhere else, you will need to do what I did, which is:
Uncomment:
my location = "Canberra" and change the canberra to your town.
Leave the others with their comments (#)

Uncomment whichever source is for you: free = free to air, freesd = free to air standard definition digital, freehd = free to air high definition, foxtel = foxtel.
In my case it was:
my $source = "freesd"

Leave the my $XMLTVID_URL = "d1.com.au" uncommented.

Leave the other settings as is.

Scroll down to where you see:
my $region; my %channels;
if ("Canberra" eq $location) {
$region = "126";
and then you have a bunch of channel information bellow it.
note:

Ok, your region (the "126" part) is from ninemsn. Go to http://tvguide.ninemsn.com.au and enter in your area in the drop down list and click go, to view program listings. Look in the url, you will see something like:
http://tvguide.ninemsn.com.au/guide/040 ... y=4/5/2005
See where it says /04052005_71.ASP? bla bla. The _71 is your region. So whatever number you have listed there, that is your region.
Back to the script. Modify the $region = "126" to whatever region you have in the url.

Ok now, the channel information part.
Look below to where you see a bunch of:
$channels{"ABC NSW"}="2";
$channels{"Prime Southern"}="PrimS";

Ok, now you will see two lots of them, one lot of channels under:
if ("free" eq $source) {
and the other lot of channels under
} elsif ("freesd" eq $source) {
Obviously, you need to work under whatever you set earlier in this guide as your $source (free = free tv, freesd = free digital standard definition)

Ok, quick explanation of this line:
$channels{"ABC NSW"}="2";
"ABC NSW" Is whatever the channel name listed is on the ninemsn web page your were looking at earlier to get your region. This needs to be exactly the same, as this is where it pulls the information from.
"2" is how mythtv is going to look for the information. For example, later, we will link ABC to:
freesd.wollongong.2.d1.com.au
freesd = the $source you set, wollongong = $location you set, 2 = whatever you set here on this channel line.
Modify each channel in order to line up with your area on the ninemsn web site, with a name you want to link it to in mythtv channel setup later on.

Once you have modified this channel to your liking, exit and save it.

DONT run any mythfilldatabase yet. We want the channels in first before we run this.

4. as root, run:
/etc/init.d/mythbackend stop
This will stop the backend, giving us the ability to scan for channels. (DVB requires this).

5. as user mythtv, run mythtv-setup

6. Setting up channels.
Ok, select capture cards, set up your capture cards. Provided you have loaded your drivers ok, the defaults should be all good.

Select Video Sources, New Video Source.
Type in a video source name (mine is WollongongTV), doesnt matter what it is.
Change listings grabber to Australia, (tv_grab_au)
Click Finish

Select input connections, select input, and change the video source to the video source you set in the previous step.
Starting channel is important, but we will come back and set this once we know a valid starting channel. (If you dont select a valid channel, then you will end up with a lovely black screen).

Select Channel Editor.

7. Scanning for channels. For majority of channels, I could auto scan them fine. For me, SBS & ABC required a little more attention. But more on that later.

Select Scan for channels.
Video Source is your video source.
Capture card is your capture card (dvb:0)
Scan Type: Full scan
Click Next.

Ok, only thing on this channel you should need is frequency.
Go to:
http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=22
And select your regions. Get your Middle frequencies.
Pick the first channel you want to scan for and put in the frequency in mythtv where it says Frequency. Note: 599.5Mhz on the site is 599500000 Hz in Myth TV.
Bandwith is 7Mhz for Australia.
Click Next
MythTv should find your channels.
Repeat for each frequency for each channel. If you have problems on any channels, keep reading, if not, skip the next part.

If problems occur (I had a prob with SBS & ABC), You will need to get a little bit more specific.

Firstly, on the channel editor page, go to Advanced.
Select New Transport.
Put in as many details as you can about a particular channel. Frequency, bandwith, QAM64 etc. I had a digital set top box to tell me these, or I also used the scan option in the package linux-dvb-apps. Search the forums about scanning and creating a channels.conf with all this information, as I am not covering that here.

Once that is done, go to scan for channels.
Video source is your source,
capture card is your capture card
Scan type this time is not full scan, instead select "Existing Transport Scan"
Transport is the new transport you created. (Should have Mhz (0) (0) (0))
Next,
This sorted my SBS & ABC problem, and hopefully it does for you too.

Once this is done, you should have a nice list of channels.

8. Linking program guide to your scanned channels.
Select the channel, for example Prime.
Ok note the channel number down, we will use this as our starting channel.
Go to the XMLTVID field.
Type in:
freesd.wollongong.PRIME.d1.com.au
freesd = the $source you set, wollongong = $location you set, PRIME = the description you set in tv_grab_au on your channel lines. (remember this line: $channels{"ABC NSW"}="2";
2, is the equivalent of PRIME.

Do this for each channel you need to link in to the program guide.

NOTE: You can only use a XMLTVID once. For example, you cant set freesd.wollongong.PRIME.d1.com.au to all three channel 7's, as it will only link into the first one. I learnt that the hard way.

Once you have done this, go back to the main menu.

9. Go into Input Connections again and move to the starting channel field. Put in the channel number I asked you to remember before, from your scanned channel. Without this being correct, watch tv will not start.
Note: You can only modify this field while the backend is not running.

10. Exit mythtv-setup.

As root, run /etc/init.d/mythbackend start
as mythtv, run mythfilldatabase

This will take a while, depending on your connection. Took about 5-10 mins on my 512k ADSL connection. This step is basically downloading the guide from ninemsn for the next 7 days, and importing it into the database.

11. Once this is complete, go into mythtv, and select watch tv. Fingers crossed you should have live tv running with a good program guide.

You can then go back to mythtv-setup later and make channels invisible, etc, as you decide on what you want.

Hope this helps fellow aussies.

As I said, if someone wants to put this in the wiki, or put it somewhere as a guide, go for it.

Thanks

Aaron
________
HERBALAIRE

Go to page 1, 2  Next