View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:44 pm 
I just installed KnoppMyth and noticed that the program guide is off by 4 hours. Naturally I figured that I had messed up the time zone offset, so I changed the offset from -4 to 0 and back to -4, etc. Each time, after changing the offset, I reload the database (either with mythfilldatabase or with tv_grab_na_dd). Nothing seems to work.
What should I try next?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:45 am 
I feel for you, I have the same problem.

Are you in US Eastern Timezone as well?

Sempron 2400+
512mb PC2700
Asus A7v8x-x
PVR-250
GeForce2 32mb
R5A16
Current Prognosis: Looking good! List of things left to get working is the remotet. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:56 am 
sounds like you have your system clock set to UTC.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:03 am 
I on Eastern Daylight time (aka -4) and when I go to the Program Guide, the current time shown in the upper right hand corner is the correct local time. Another reason I don't think my machine's time zone is the problem is that when I tell MythTV to change the offset (from 0 to -4) it doesn't change anything. After refilling the database, the program guide is still 4 hours off. If the problem were my machine's time zone, then changing that Myth offset number would make a difference. Wouldn't it?
Also I noticed yesterday that recording some channels is a little peculiar. If I use the guide to record channel 2 then it records channel 4. If I use the guide to record channel 8 then it records channel 8, but it does so with another channel's audio. Other channels are fine. I haven't observed a pattern yet, and I haven't even observed if this happens all the time (or if it's random).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:00 am 
A couple days ago, my program guide got off by an hour. It is like it forgot about Daylight Savings or something. Mine may be a different problem though. It seemed to coincide with an apt-get update that I did that basically updated everything (I didn't mean to do this, but I am a linux newb).

Anyway, I followed the instructions in this post http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=128, but it didn't help. I also tried putting a 1 hour offset in the setup menu, but that didn't work for me either.

I am on R5A12 and plan to upgrade to R5A15.1 this weekend, so maybe that will help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:04 am 
1) Use webmin or something to check that your hardware clock, your system time, and your timezone are all correct.

2) Make sure that you didn't add any screwy offset settings via the setup menu or the mythtv-setup utility. Having the correct local system time should do the job 99% of the time.

3) Reboot or restart all the servers which might care about the time. This includes the backend and mysql, but possibly others too. Rebooting is easier. ;-)

4) Double check that your profile at zap2it is set up correctly, with the right zipcode, right cable system, digital vs. normal, ...

5) Use the zap2it webpage to view what they think is on now for your cable system or broadcast area and match it against what actually is on.

If you still have an offset after all this then things start to get ugly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:50 am 
Thanks for working with us on this.

1) webmin says that the system time is the same as the hardware time. It is showing the correct time. I am not sure where webmin shows the timezone, but using "date" at the CLI shows the correct timezone (MDT).

2) I double checked the XMLTV offset in mythtv-setup, and it is set to "none"

3) I rebooted the machine.

4) Everything in my zap2it profile looks good.

5) The zap2it webpage shows the correct programming for my area.

It's a good thing I like ugly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:22 am 
So I upgraded to R5A15.1 over the weekend, but the guide is still off by an hour. Any ideas?

I haven't finished configuring LIRC for my 150 remote, or the IR blaster, and I don't have any media on there that I care about (I am just experimenting right now, but it is amazing how fast the WAF has grown), so I don't mind installing from scratch if you think that will help?

I am not very familiar with database manipulation, but if you think there is something in there I could change then I will give it a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:54 pm 
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town for the weekend and only had limited network access.

What does this command show for you? (the example is from my system)
Code:
root@black:~# cat /etc/timezone
US/Eastern

Other US options include "US/Central", "US/Mountatin", "US/Pacific", ... If it isn't right you might want to try running either /usr/sbin/tzconfig or /usr/sbin/tzsetup as root.

Also using webmin under servers -> mysql -> mythoconverg -> settings -> view data verify that TimeOffset is None

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:28 pm 
Both of those check out OK.

US/Mountain

TimeOffset is None

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:55 pm 
Hmmm... I don't see a verbose logging option for mythfilldatabase have your tried running it without --quiet, capturing stdout and stderr, and reviewing them? Something like this:
Code:
mythfilldatabase >fill.log 2>&1
Look for lines like this:
Code:
Grab complete.  Actual data from Tue May 10 04:00:00 2005 to Wed May 11 04:00:00 2005 (UTC)
Clearing data for source...
Clearing from Tue May 10 00:00:00 2005 to Wed May 11 00:00:00 2005 (localtime)
2005-05-09 20:51:33.195 New DB connection, total: 3
2005-05-09 20:51:33.197 New DB connection, total: 4
The UTC offset for you (US/Mountain with daylight savings time in effect) should be 6 hours. if it's not we're one step closer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:26 pm 
Code:
Grab complete.  Actual data from Tue May 10 06:00:00 2005 to Wed May 11 06:00:00 2005 (UTC)
Clearing data for source...
Clearing from Tue May 10 00:00:00 2005 to Wed May 11 00:00:00 2005 (localtime)
2005-05-09 19:12:20.657 New DB connection, total: 3
2005-05-09 19:12:20.678 New DB connection, total: 4

6 hour offset...

Dude, you are awesome for working with me on this. Let me know when you want to throw in the towel, and I'll just install from scratch as a last resort. I can back-up anything I need to another machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:34 pm 
Still a few more things to try... Have you run mythtv-setup and answered yes to both purge questions? After that you''ll have to go through all the setup stuff again but it's easier than a reinstall from scratch...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:43 pm 
Eureka!

That did it. I did that like 10 times before I upgraded, and I thought I did it at least once after, but I am not going to ask any questions.

Here is exactly what fixed it in the end:
Code:
#/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop
#mythtv-setup

Clear the capture card settings and the channel settings.
Reconfigure the backend settings.
Exit setup.
Code:
#/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
#mythfilldatabase

Start the frontend and enjoy.

Thanks again for hanging in there with me. This actually fixed the other problem I had with Live TV only playing for a second before crashing. It may have all been related to the fact that the directories were messed up after upgrading (/var/lib... problem). I fixed all of paths, then this must have pulled it all back together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:39 pm 
:D :) 8) :wink: Oh and congratulations!