View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:45 pm 
I would first like to say that it has been a lot of fun reading through this forum for the last several months. My hat is off to all those who make this possible!

I am new to Linux as of mid-March, but have been able to muddle my way through the whole bit with excellent results. Even my wife now thinks it is a marvelous device! Not to mention Gracie, who has a penchant for "Dora the Explorer"! But I digress.

My power went out this morning, and when my wife fired up the box for Gracie to watch Dora, it would not connect to the backend. First on my list is to get a backup power supply. This happened a month ago as well, but I couldn't get it fixed (too proud to ask for help), so I fresh installed. I'd rather not do that again, for I fear losing my data.The message is as follows:

QServerSocket: failed to bind or listen to the socket
Failed to bind to port: 6543

I checked through mythtv-setup; all seemed well. I scoured the forum, but could find no pertinent information. I also googled the hell out of it, and found a thread suggesting I "killall mythbackend". I did so, and restarted mythbackend, but to no avail. It came up with the same message with regard to the QServerSocket.

Is there someone who could please be of assistance? Gracie and I would really appreciate it!

My Specs:

Knoppmyth R5A15
Asus A7M-266
1.4GHZ T-Bird
768 RAM
160 GB WD HDD
PVR-350
eVGA GEForce 5200

P.S. I hope I put this in the right topic area!

Last edited by cantator on Mon May 16, 2005 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:08 pm 
It is a MythTV related problem so yes it is the right area. Simply to figure out wasn't it? But I digress. I've seen this in the past when I compiled a new release (or same) with stopping the backend. If you do a backup and an auto upgrade, you shouldn't loss your data. Anything else in the backend log? Have you tried running the backend in and xterm?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:39 pm 
Thanks for replying cesman.

I did try to run the backend in an xterm window, but it has the same result: QServerSocket...etc...

I did an upgrade (R5A15.1), but I am getting the same result as well. I've pretty much tapped my newbie intellect as far as it can go at this late hour, so I'll give it a rest till tomorrow...

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:25 am 
Well, I did another upgrade, and this time it took. All of my data is intact. Problem solved.

:o

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:04 pm 
cantator wrote:
First on my list is to get a backup power supply. This happened a month ago as well, but I couldn't get it fixed (too proud to ask for help), so I fresh installed. I'd rather not do that again, for I fear losing my data.

A good UPS is cheap insurance! The APC Back UPS ES USB 500VA 120V starts at ~$60 and runs down to $40 or less on sale. The APC Back-UPS ES USB 350VA 120V starts around ~$40 and runs down to as low as $25 on sale. The apcupsd package (easy to apt-get and configure) will let your KnoppMyth box monitor either of these and do an orderly shutdown if need be.

Just today my 500VA unit bridged a minor power glitch...
Code:
Mon May 16 01:37:23 EDT 2005  Power failure.
Mon May 16 01:37:29 EDT 2005  Running on UPS batteries.
Mon May 16 01:37:32 EDT 2005  Mains returned. No longer on UPS batteries.
Mon May 16 01:37:32 EDT 2005  Power is back. UPS running on mains.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:45 am 
My power went out again today, which once again created a "QServerSocket failure" scenario again. What I discovered is that the power outage causes the IP address to change for some reason. All that needs to be done is an "ifconfig" command to discover the current IP address, and then on to "mythtv-setup" command, and enter the new IP address in the first screen of the general settings. Voila!

If only I had discovered this the other night during my initial frustration! C'est la vie!

_________
cantator

Last edited by cantator on Tue May 24, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:15 pm 
Either set up the box with a static IP address, or tell your router (if it has this feature) to always give it the same address on DHCP requests.

-brendan