View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:00 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:

You might take a look at your own approach to people.

You throw a lot of barbs at people and are the first to start calling names. If you don't get a response you like, you dump all over the person who posts it.

I always enjoy when the pot calls the kettle black.

Your characterization of my posts is patently untrue.

I have very much appreciated all of the feedback received regarding my efforts. Further, I have enjoyed the wealth of knowledge I have been able to gain through searches on this forum. It has been invaluable.

What I have not appreciated is seeing time and again unhelpful posts by people such as yourself who have either failed to read the post, assumed the poster is a complete fool and has not searched these boards or the internet for their problem, or simply wish to boost their own self-esteem by attempting to put down others.

If you do not care about a topic or do not wish to help someone with a question then it is better to not respond at all than to put them down or imply they are a fool.

I never opined that people were not responding to my topic. I never wrote "Why won't anybody help me? Why? Why? I hate you all!"

If I did, I would be interested in seeing a quote of that. Perhaps you could provide one, Liv2Cod?

Oh, wait, you still have to read my posts.

I can wait .....

Liv2Cod wrote:
Yes, you can post general Myth issues here, obviously. But don't get all huffy (again) when people fail to rush in and help you (to your satisfaction) with problems on other distros.

Once again, did you bother to read my posts? Perhaps english is not your first language? (Understandable considering the international flavor here.)

I never "{got} all huffy (again) when people fail{ed} to rush in and help you (to your satisfaction) with problems on other distros."

I did get huffy over people providing no help at all or even implying I was a fool. Read a post, save yourself from being wrong.

Too many times I see a response to an honest question which either says "Here's some help: Search the forums" or a response which implies further the level of intelligence of the poster.

And now you are whining because, when you pushed, I pushed back?

Hilarious. Have fun with that. :-) I hear France has some good cheese to go with it. They even have a bit of a bike race going on. Could go on a picnic.

Liv2Cod wrote:
Frankly, if you get any reponses at all consider it a gift.

I do and I have considered pertinent, non-insulting posts a gift.

I appreciate the time given by people who responded to my questions and, in posting them, I expected nothing and was pleasntly surprised by something.

You see, Liv2Cod, there are people, despite yourself, who are kind and helpful instead of mean-spirited and curt.

Sincerely,
Pacer the Loon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:06 pm 
The final stages of my project are approaching.

I have to still automate the scripts at startup and tweak a few other things. For instance: I might try and see if XFCE or FluxBox (which KnoppMyth seems to use) might be better than KDE as a Window Manager on the slower FE.

I also need to get a quiter drive. The old 30GB one is, well, old and noisy.

I have been messing with MythGame and hope to have it working soon. Can't seem to get the SNES emulator to load in full screen. NES works, though. Now I have to tackle MAME.

The most interesting thing will be setting up NFS and seeing what can be done with that. I am wondering if NFS can be used for the stream buffer. Likely not a good idea, I'd imagine.

Sincerely,
Pacer the Loon
P.S. Still want to try and upgrade the Dell sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:16 pm 
NFS can be used for just about everything. that's how the knoppmyth cd works when you run a frontend directly from the cd or setup netboot.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:37 pm 
Honestly, Pacer, I couldn't care less what you think of me or any other forum member. I was just trying to give you a head's up before you step on your wanker in the forum. You haven't been around long enough to know who is helpful and who isn't. Your posts seem full of defensiveness, as though everyone is questioning your I.Q. or casting aspersions on your ability. We're not.

You can call me all the names you want -- it's just a waste of bandwidth. But you are coming across like you have a very short fuse. Just watch out who you look down your nose at. You could really screw the pooch by dissing the wrong forum member. Hint: Don't screw with a guy named "cesman."

Have a nice life!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:31 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
NFS can be used for just about everything. that's how the knoppmyth cd works when you run a frontend directly from the cd or setup netboot.

I was under the impression that it would be best to use a local drive for the live TV buffer since NFS would be working over the network... but then again, it does make sense.

I will have to try it as soon as I figure out why my video is choppy.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Sincerely,
Pacer the Loon

Post subject: Via .... not so much...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:29 pm 
The Via FrontEnd broke again.

Firstly, I think the old 30gb drive needs a fix. I was hoping to configure and then copy an image of it to a new drive as I purchased a new one. (Found a nice imaging program here: http://theatomicmoose.ca/g4u/)

I might need to speed up that time table.

The problem is that, after upgrading my FC3 system I now have issues when I try to boot. The system boots up, I can see text and it goes through the boot process. About the time FC3 says something to the effect of "Your system did not shutdown properly, type yes to run chckdsk" (I had to shut it down via the power-plug when it frist started this) the screen goes black and the monitor goes into sleep. (Green "On" button to "Amber" on button.)

Tried to boot KnoppyMyth from a liveCD to run a liveCD front-end.

KnoppMyth has the same reaction (after going through all of the settings for the IP address and what-not).

So today I wandered on over to the (http://forums.viaarena.com) site and saw a post under the Linux arena for getting FC3 installed on a Via me6000 board using the Via MPEG accellerator and what-not ...

I am going to try that tonight, but for now my efforts to get my Front-End up and running are all for naught.

Gone are my game ROMs (backed up, though), gone are my settings, gone are my efforts to work with NFS.

Pity.

On a side note: I have been having an interesting time getting the cable signal to be strong enough for my 3 cards. I had a 4-way splitter at the old-house that worked fine off of another splitter where the cable came in. This house has a much more convoluted method of getting the cable to my room. (I had to terminate both ends of the cable, then split it.)

I now have a 4-way signal booster (essentially a no-loss splitter) and will be purchasing a 25db booster from the Home Depot tonight to place in the basement where the line splits to go to two rooms.

Hopefully that will be enough.

If not, I might cry. Not really, but it will be frustrating.

Regardless, I am moving to another location from Friday the 29th so I will not have to bother too much.

Sincerely,
Pacer the Loon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:41 am 
I think it's pretty neat of pacer to make a chronicle of his experiences with MythTV.

On a side note, pacer, make sure that any splitters or boosters that you purchase support the frequencies of the cable in your area. Cheap splitters from Walmart kill channels for me, mostly in the 2-10 range.

Now, while I feel that pacer's response to the feedback was entirely too lengthy, it wasn't entirely unwarranted. We're all on the same team here and we're all working towards the same goal, no matter if we run FC3 or KnoppMyth or even Xebian for that matter. We're all friends here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:43 pm 
Hi pacer,

I am curious why you haven't tried using the KnoppMyth install? Or at least you haven't mentioned it being an option. I have installed this fine package on an old Dell GX1 ~400Mhz, 128 or 256 mem (don't remember exactly) with a pvr 350 card. It worked ok except the eye candy for the music would make the music pause if the setting was on 1. A setting of 2 and all worked. I think there were a couple of things I had to do to obtain sound however that was with R4V5. Have not tried it with R5A16.

You may want to be careful as I have noticed that some of the older machines don't treat the tuner card nicely. (ie, my pvr350 got hot in a HP 266mhz)

Have fun, it is a great package!
Mike

Go to page Previous  1, 2