View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:08 pm 
I would like to be able to record TV and broadcast live TV from City A with MythTV (backend), then to be able to watch those recorded shows, and live TV from City B (frontend). The way I'm thinking about this is being able to broadcast this over the internet somehow from City A, then allowing the frontend in B to connect to it.

I'm not quite sure if this is possible with MythTV, could anyone tell me if it is? This is similar to Sling, but I would like to be able to record shows.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:00 pm 
Not without transcoding to a *substantially* smaller size. Bandwidth requirements between BE and FE for normal recordings are such that 10Mbit/sec networking barely cuts it, and for wireless you need to be using the highest bandwidth "g" equipment. Most people don't have anywhere near that amount of uplink bandwidth...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:06 pm 
I can watch my recordings and live TV over the internet with mythstreamtv . As tjc points out, your broadban upload speed is the bottle neck...I need to really scale down the framerate and bitrate.

I really only use it to keep track of redsox games from work. Works great over my LAN (wireless G) .. any windows PC has access to recordings and tuner streams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:06 am 
VLC takes a pretty good hit on CPU. I'm using an Athlon 1.2GHz, and I end up setting video speed to 256, video size to 50%, and FPS to 20 just to keep my CPU utilization below 80%.

Just an FYI for those with older hardware...if your media player keeps rebuffering while watching a stream, it might not be bandwidth, but simply computing resources on your Myth box.

Last edited by robert.pdx on Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:48 pm 
Do you guys know of another way of going about this, or do you think Sling is worth it? I don't really need the ability to save broadcasts but it would be nice.