View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Myth TV in Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:39 pm 
Hello everyone,

I was considering building a mythTV box but I've come into a small problem, I live in Canada and I don't know what kind of effect this would have on me. First of all, what are the special settings I have use with it ie. US cable HRC, US cable; I use bell expressvu. I plan on using the zap2it services. Also, how would i hook it up, currently I'm only planning on using a standard definition card such as an AverMedia card, would I jsut plug a coaxial cable into it the card? Sorry if that sounded stupid but I'm completely clueless and I don't want to waste my money on a brand new $800 doorstop. My biggest worry is that everything won't be compatible in Canada which I'm sure you can understand, thanks in advance for your help and if you have an necesssary questions in order to answer my question please ask away I'll be extremely fast in responding.

-Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:34 pm 
People like you give us Canadians a bad name. Learn how to do a little research man. Let me tell you in a way you can understan... Search the forum, eh..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:55 pm 
Over the course of the night I've done many things trying to get information before actually asking for it. Let me take you through all the steps.

1) I googled the following things "building a mythTV box +Canada", "Frequency ID's in Canada" "bell expressvu frequencies" "knopmyth +Canada" "DVR +Canada" and many more ideas such as those to no avail, most links I got were to American websites even though on each searched I tried it regular and results only in Canada.

2) I've searched many forums like this all over the internet and the answers I get I don't understand, building this box will be my first experience with linux.

3) I called my friend in California who has a lot of experience with mythTV, he had no idea about compatability issues in Canada.

4) After compiling everything that I've found out throughout the night I decided to sort out what I knew and didn't know and I asked about the things that I didn't know, trust me postign in the forums was the last thing I did. After searching these forums by the way the closest thing I found was something about a perl script which I have absolutely no understanding of.

I have many things that I didn't know before I began researching but there were still some questions that were unanswered and that's why I asked. Now excuse me if I'm wrong but I don't think that I'm the reason Canadians have a bad name and I also take offence to that statement. Canadians do not have a bad name around the world, most of what you are referring to is just ignorance. Before posting I suggest you think twice about insulting me or my country.

-Alex

PS Thanks for your help, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:37 pm 
I'm running a mythTv box in Canada and use 2 PVR-250 cards to do the capture. I'm running on Starchoice, not expressvu, but I just take a coax cable from the receiver to the card, and use US Cable as the setting.

Also I use the MyBlaster IR unit to drive the receiver.

I didn't find that there were any special settings required for running in Canada... at least not that I remember. :)

Hope that's some help,

Steve

Post subject: Canada Mythtv
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:35 pm 
Man,

You are Good to go. There's nothing special about canadian mythtv install.

However, I have a few tips while setting up the a Canadian install.

1. Instead of drinking a "cola" during the setups like most americans would You should consider having a "double-double" from Hortons. I understand this makes the installation process easier..

2. If you are having problems, you may be confused as mythtv can't respond to telling it to "Take off eh?".

3. There is no "MythBeer" or "MythHockey" modules as of yet.

Anyways, there is allot of people (from what i understand) using bell dishes with mythtv. I belive they use the same hardware as the dish network, but you may want to research into tat. I personally use good ole' analog shaw cable.

Pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:53 am 
Awesome, thanks a lot prosonik and triguy. I'm going to purchase the parts today and hopefully have it up and running by monday!

-Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:59 am 
I am in Canada not special problems. 2x pvr250 1 to analogue cable 1 to dct2500 digital box. I use an irblaster to drive the digital box.

I wish you luck in having it running by Monday, drink lots of coffee and tell everyone you are away for the weekend. lol

it is well worth the work to get it up and going though.
Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:47 pm 
I am in Canada. I use a pvr350 and I use an irblaster to change my channel to the digital box (scientific atlanta 2100 Videotron).

The only problem that I have it's in mythWeb, when I search a program, sometimes, the result is wrong (wrong date, time). Anyone have a solution to this problem ?

Here is what I have done to try to resolve the problem :
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Montreal /etc/localtime
ntpdate pool.ntp.org
mythfilldatabase
Anyone can help me?

Interested by a tv version of meteomedia ?
Here is the address :
http://itv.meteomedia.com/index.php3?Sect=forecasts&Cont=searchplds_r&Loc=CA&Language=en&Code=xxx&MW=CAQC0773