View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:53 pm 
I've managed to install mythtv, scanned for channels (It found them all). I can watch the channels fine, but there is no TV guide information.

I'm in Sydney, Australia, so I'm using the tv_grab_au, which I have modified to suite my needs (digital, sydney, etc). Mythtv accepted this during the configuration.

I set up the XMLTV id fields in some of the channels (like sdfree.Sydney.9.d1.com.au, etc). I run mythfilldatabase, and it seems to work fine - downloads the TV guide information, gives me no error messages.

But when I go back into mythtv, there is no listings.

Looking through the forums, I have found one thing to look for is to make sure that two channels dont have the same XMLTV id (I'm pretty sure this is not the case, but will check it when I get home).

What else should I be checking?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:05 pm 
sometimes you need to run

Code:
mythfilldatabase --refresh-today

hope that fixes it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:38 am 
Fwee, two other possibilities:

1) there is one set of channels that MythTV is using to watch channels, and another set that mythfilldatabase created when it called tv_grab_au.
Run mythtv-setup, and select Channel Editor. Have a look and check that there are no duplicates.

2) for some reason, the frontend didn't get the data that mythfilldatabase inserted. Maybe do a reboot, to make sure that both the backand and frontend are looking at the same data.

Another thing to do would be to use MySQL to look at the database. Check that mythfilldatabase did actually insert program information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:46 am 
nigelpearson,

Thanks for your responce,

I managed to work it out - the script format had changed, just a week or two earlier. Talk about rotten timing.

I suppose I should have in here and made a note so people wouldnt try to help me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:13 am 
fweeee wrote:
I managed to work it out - the script format had changed, just a week or two earlier. Talk about rotten timing.

Don't suppose you'd like to share the secret of your success? I've installed R5A16 and am experiencing the same problem; no trouble getting the channels tuned in (Sydney,free-to-air digital) but no guide information. I've checked the backend status in MythWeb and it tells me (in Machine information)...
Quote:
Last mythfilldatabase run started on 2005-08-12 06:25 and ended on 2005-08-12 06:30. mythfilldatabase ran, but did not insert any new data into the Guide. This can indicate a potential grabber failure.
There's guide data until 2005-08-18 00:10 (6 days).

...so I'm confident that all the right things are happening - they're just not doing the right thing. ;)

I've also tried nigelpearson's suggestions to no avail (viz I have only one set of channels and still no guide data after reboot).

"He was as lacking in restraint as a silly woman."
War of the Worlds - H.G.Welles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:22 am 
Oh, sorry.

I basically hunted down an updated version of the tv_grab_au script. I would attach it here, but I cant attach files in this forum.

Try searching the mythtv mail list archive at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/. Search for tv_grab_au, and go for something fairly recent - they have updated scripts there.

If all else fails, get back to me, I can email you the one I use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:40 am 
Thanks for that, fweeee.

But a bit more searching and a bit of experimentation and I've got a solution. After scanning for channels I edited each in turn and entered the appropriate XMLTV_ID; e.g freesd.Sydney.2.d1.com.au for ABC and so on. Then I ran the daily cron job to fill the database (/etc/cron.daily/mythtv-backend) and voila! Guide info!

"He was as lacking in restraint as a silly woman."
War of the Worlds - H.G.Welles