View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:19 pm 
I've been tinkering with my mythtv HDTV setup for almost a month now and here are the various problems I've encountered with nVidia driver.

I am using it with a P4 3GHz machines and 6200 TC card. I've tried both pcHDTV and Air2PC cards. I am running 7667 drivers

My Toshiba TV only has Component in (no DVI) and it only likes 1080i (not 720p).

1. Was able to get Component Out to work using Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i". I get 800x600 picture centered and video works fine in that mode. However thats not HDTV. So I tried a standard modeline for 1920x1080. The picture is horribly overscanned and I couldn't find a way to work around that. More importantly, playing any kind of video using xv locks up the machine instantly.
I found the following post with same problem
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50221&highlight=component
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53253&highlight=component

2. So, I gave up on the component out. Hooked up a RCA transcoder to the VGA port. 920x540p works fine. I was even able to tweak that modeline to get rid of the overscan completely. But its not HDTV. So I tried the standard 1920x1080i modeline (interlaced). As the following post describes, now I get a "split" and "wrapped" screen! So can't win there either.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49315&highlight=component

Both of these problems have been reported a while ago. I haven't seen any one from nVidia acknolwedge these problems. So at this point, I don't think nVidia is a viable video card choice if you need HDTV 1080i unless some one knows a work around for this situation.

If any one knows a work around, or recommendations for alternative video card (nvidia or ATI or other) for 1080i HDTV video, your help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Sarat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:08 pm 
the only work around for that situation is to go back to the 6629 drivers which are still included in knoppmyth for this very reason. As for nvidia not being viable for 1080i It sucks that they broke it and won't even admit it, but nvidia is currently the only video card I know of that will do 1080i output with any version of drivers on linux.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:36 pm 
Welcome to my world... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:29 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
the only work around for that situation is to go back to the 6629 drivers which are still included in knoppmyth for this very reason. As for nvidia not being viable for 1080i It sucks that they broke it and won't even admit it, but nvidia is currently the only video card I know of that will do 1080i output with any version of drivers on linux.

Unfortunately, I bought a Dell with PCI Express bus (latest and greatest .. not!). I don't think 6629 has PCI Express card support :(

Any one know if ATI X300 (not SE) cards work for 1920x1080 with RCA transcoder?

Sarat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:53 pm 
well just getting ati cards to work at all is a huge chore, and at that I don't think they support interlaced modes.

Xsecrets