View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:47 pm 
Hi all..

I have a question for the community. Here's my situation, I currently own 3 Tivos in the house and and fairly happy with their functionality. My problem is that I also have a large number of movies on my computer that I would like to watch on my projector. What Im looking for is an interface that I can use to scroll through the movies select the one I want to watch and click play. It needs to be easy enough for my wife and kids to use. I know I could just use windows/linux but Im looking for a more elegant 'tivo like' solution. From what Ive read about MythTV is should be able to do this. I wanted to know from the community if this was the best approach or are there better solutions.

Thanks all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:58 pm 
Using MythTV to fill this function IMO isn't the best function. MythTV is for TV, while the MythVideo plugin does fix the build. There are other issues to consider, the need for a tuner in the backend, having to run mythfilldatabase, etc. Last I knew, MythTV wouldn't function without these.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:20 pm 
Yea I was hoping not to have to buy a tuner and just use the svideo out on my video card. I really have no need to record with mythtv, I just like the interface etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:28 pm 
I think using myth to do this would be like using a jackhammer to crack a nut (although that would be fun...) :)

There must be some video management software out there that'll fit the bill better.

Mephi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:10 pm 
Hi,

I don't see why not give it a try. :!: I must warn you that KnoppMyth is highly addictive as once you see and use some of the features you will want to "push the envelope". I have run KnoppMyth R5A16 without a tuner, without internet, without filling the database and use what is still available to play with in the system.

If you have internet available, it opens the news reader, weather, and web browser. You can safely add mozilla-thunderbird and the mozilla suite (not firefox currently) so it will function simular to any linux system

Now if the computer files that you have are of a format that KnoppMyth can play is another issue. You can use Samba to just copy them over a network and try one. Then if you share that information we all will know a bit more.

If you have some hardware spare, try it and let us know what you think :)
Not every one is bent on tv, I just did some tweaks to a friends box, 2) PVR-350's (pix in pix), play while recording, etc, and what do I do with it? Play the tunes with mythmusic. He gets it back after his vacation :(

Cecil & Dale have an awsome package with R5A16, it would not do them fair not to at least try it.

Thanks
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:45 pm 
By odd coincidence, this is the very application that first brought me to MythTv.

I wanted to get the hundred-or-so DVD boxes out of my living room and put them into a DVD changer. I bought the Sony 400 disc changer, brought it home, and discovered the behemoth wouldn't fit in my entertainment center! I would have chopped out the back of the center if the changer had met my needs, but it was pretty lame. Back to Good Guys it went.

I thought about building my own "changer" out of large hard disks and a linux computer, and then thought, "I'll be someone has done this before." I uncovered Myth. Then, a revelation...

Not only could it handle DVDs, it could time-shift HDTV programming! THIS was what I was waiting for -- the one thing my two Tivos couldn't do for me. I built a KnoppMyth box and had some initial problems -- HDTV was still bleeding edge at the time -- but I couldn't be happier now.

Oddly enough, I still haven't fulfilled the promise of the DVD jukebox. My goal is to record my DVDs as ISO file -- the whole DVD with all menus, etc. Then I'll use Xine or something like it to play the DVD images with full titles and extras. There are many messages on Gossamer about this kind of setup. Search the mythtv-users list over on http://gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:00 am 
Haven't used it a lot myself but you could take a look at Movix:

http://movix.sourceforge.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:41 am 
P.S.

With DirecTV pulling out of Tivo, I wonder how much longer my Tivos will be functional. I like my Tivos, but the company has never made a profit since its inception, and that's not a good thing.

I have to say I'm pleased I have an alternative for TV recording.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:55 am 
Yea.. I too am a Directv subscriber and basicly gave up on the directv tivo boxes and went out and bought stand alone tivos. I alway thought it lame that directv wouldnt enable the functionality of the series 2 tivo hardware.

It looks like Im going to be trying out mythtv as a jukebox this weekend, provided I can find a compatible tv-out video card. I have two currently but their not supported ;(.

Anyone have a recomendataion on a cheap tv-out video card thats compatible with linux/mythtv?

And BTW, thanks all for the help! Its nice to see the knoppmyth comunity so willing to help!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:57 am 
I think the most compatable TV out video cards are the Geforce FX5200s.
These have the added advantage of being really quite cheap.

Mephi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:43 pm 
Quote:
What Im looking for is an interface that I can use to scroll through the movies select the one I want to watch and click play. It needs to be easy enough for my wife and kids to use.

KnoppMyth will work for this purposes. I don't see a need for a TV card. I had a non functioning TV card and Myth worked fine. These are steps I did to get working well for me using KnoppMyth R5A16 - auto install.

1. Update Mplayer, Xvid, codecs, and Fonts
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4706

2. Change Mplayer command configuration

Setup>Setup>Media Settings>Video Settings>Player Settings

/usr/bin/mplayer ..... (previous path was something like /usr/local/bin/mplayer, which was wrong)

3. Samba client and server setup

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... SambaHowTo

4. Edited fstab so network share connect after reboot

pico /etc/fstab

(added lines)

----------
# Added by Custom Network setup parameters
//192.168.0.50/Music /myth/music/network smbfs ro,username=media,guest 0 0
//192.168.0.50/Video /myth/video/network smbfs ro,username=media,guest 0 0
----------
5. Created user "media" with blank password on my Windows file server. Username reflected in "username=media,guest" portion of command line

6. Not needed but fixed MythWeb Videos so can download

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=MythWebFix

7. Not needed but setup Webmin for easy administration

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=WebminHowTo

8. Not needed but setup DVD playback (search forum for more info)

/usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples

A few things I have to sort out:

1. Getting a decent remote control to work

I plan to purchase an ATI remote wonder

2. Setup something to automatically import new media instead of using Video Manager.

Have not researched in depth yet, but seems doable

3. Edit the frontend menus to remove the stuff I don't utilize such as TV options and Games,

this will simplify menu and make easier to navigate. (should be easy to do menus seem to just be editable XML files. )

I also suggest switching to a list view in My Videos as easier to navigate with well organized folder structure. The ability to enter the IMDB numbers in video manger really makes appearance of Knoppmyth a great choice for Video player. Also the Information center is pretty awesome I find myself using this daily and adding RSS feeds.

Another project I suggest is GeeXboX. It is a live linux CD based off Mplayer that has an option installing to HDD or Flash drive. The Hardware specs are pretty low (I ran on PIII 500 ATI Radeon 7000), works well with samba networking, and supports some remotes via lirc (I suggest ATI remote wonder). The interface is very basic doesn't have the cool database with cover art like knoppmyth but is easy to use
www.geexbox.org