View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:02 pm 
OK, I'm setting up my Knoppmyth machine (AMD 2400, GeForce ti4600, 1G Ram, 120GB HD, Hauppauge PVR 150) and the installation goes pretty well* but it appears to hang for a long time after downloading the Zap2it info. I go into the setup a couple of times, but every time I come back it goes and re-downloads the Zap2It info.

So, I just leave it and research stuff on the web, and when I look the installation has completed (apparently) and I'm on the WebTV screen. So, I select Watch TV, and everything goes blank.

Stuff appears to be happening--the hard drive is flickering--but no image on either TV or monitor, and I can't seem to get out.

I have S-Video coming from a digital cable box into the Hauppauge and S-video going from the GeForce to the TV. The S-Video input is selected on the TV.

The S-Video from the Ge-Force is an 8-pin and and has a quarter-inch cable attached, the purpose of which I'm not sure.

Hope this is enough info for a rectocraniotomy....

:oops: :oops:

*I've actually installed several times. On two occasions, the reformatting of the drive stalled, weirdly. On one occasion, the setup never ran after the install. But, really, it's been easy, I just reinstalled and it has worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:18 pm 
I'm a bit of a noob myself, but just thought I'd try and help out. Have a look in the file /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log and see what the backend is up too, it may give some clue as to whats going on. Hope this helps.

Jim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:29 pm 
I believe you also need to enter frequency information for each channel during the setup process. Have you done this?
blake wrote:
On one occasion, the setup never ran after the install.
I have seen this when installing with a USB thumb drive connected. Did you have any USB devices connected during the install.

Last edited by Greg Frost on Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:30 pm 
when the zap2it download appears to hang do alt+tab and see if it's maybe asking you a question in the console.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:41 pm 
Greg Frost wrote:
I believe you also need to enter frequency information for each channel during the setup process. Have you done this?

No. I'm not using the tuner, tho'. I'm going from the cable-box's S-video out to the Hauppauge's S-video in. Still necessary?

Greg Frost wrote:
On one occasion, the setup never ran after the install.I have seen this when installing with a USB thumb drive connected. Did you have any USB devices connected during the install.

A mouse. It only happened the once, though.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:42 pm 
jimsoft wrote:
I'm a bit of a noob myself, but just thought I'd try and help out. Have a look in the file /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log and see what the backend is up too, it may give some clue as to whats going on. Hope this helps.

I'll check it out. I guess I'll have to reboot this thing the hard way. I was trying to avoid that....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:44 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
when the zap2it download appears to hang do alt+tab and see if it's maybe asking you a question in the console.

Actually, I was looking at the console. It would download, then I did some setup stuff and would exit out, and it would download again. Etc. The last time I just let it sit and it finished.

Oh, and I am using the latest KnoppMyth...realized I forgot to put that in...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:36 am 
Well, the backend seems to be fine, and the zap2it seems to have downloaded all the info, though offset by a certain number of hours (I've seen that problem here, so I'm not worried too much).

Still, TV puts me into a mode I can't get out of, I can't see any output on the TV, and I can't play back anything on the computer, even if I put a DVD in.

(I'm going backwards! :roll: )

Post subject: Zap2It redux
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:05 am 
OK, I don't know if it's re-downloading the zap2it info or whether it just takes that freakin' long and many separate passes to do it.

I guess between 3-4 minutes a pass, less than 30 seconds of that per pass going to actually download 1.5M of data, the rest going to...what...parse the data and update the database? Really?

Is something wrong here? Or do I just have unreasonable expectations? (I design custom DBMSs, so I'm used to highly optimized data. In fact, if this is "normal", I'd be willing to look seriously into designing one for Myth.) :?

Post subject: Re: Zap2It redux
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:30 am 
And after all that, I got bupkus for listings. Weird.

However, following the nVidia instructions, I got the video in and out working. Lotsa other problems, but I don't expect too much more difficulty.

Thanks, all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:02 am 
Hi blake,

Just answered the time issue else where. Suggest taking one item at a time. Save your tv viewing as a later step. Make sure audio works, listings come down properly, Mythweb all works and etc. That way you get a little more familular with the inner workings as setting up the tv can sometimes be a little testing.

One of the guys made an excellent link in google for searching the forum. Find that and make your self a book mark for that one!
A word of caution, KnoppMyth is highly addictive!!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:35 pm 
mjl wrote:
Just answered the time issue else where. Suggest taking one item at a time. Save your tv viewing as a later step. Make sure audio works, listings come down properly, Mythweb all works and etc. That way you get a little more familular with the inner workings as setting up the tv can sometimes be a little testing.Mike

Well, so far, my issues have been resolved by reading the instructions more carefully. 8)

mjl wrote:
One of the guys made an excellent link in google for searching the forum. Find that and make your self a book mark for that one!
A word of caution, KnoppMyth is highly addictive!!

So far I'm having fun! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:51 pm 
Hi blake,
Quote:
So far I'm having fun!

That is good news, I am fairly sure that Cecil & Dale with their crew of developers did not it intend KnoppMyth to be anything less than an enjoyable experience.

Mike