View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:02 am 
Does anyone out there use Timestretch much? I have been using it a bit lately and I quite like it. I just wish there was an easy way to toggle it on and off. From what I have found, the only way to turn it on is to press 'A' and then press the right arrow until it reaches the speed at which you want to watch. It increments in 0.05x steps which means if you want to watch at 1.7x for example it takes 15 keystrokes! Then to go back to normal speed you have to do the same.

If you could just toggle it on and off, it would be really useful for watching some sports where there is brief periods of activity (which you want to watch in real time) with breaks in between (like cricket here in Australia, and I imagine Baseball in the US). By using timestretch, you could still follow the flow of the commentry but quickly pass over the lulls in play.

Anyone know if you can toggle it on and off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:34 am 
I have submitted a patch to implement this http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/391

I raised the issue on the mythtv-users mailing list http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... ers/151373 and along with a commercial-detection thread-jacking, there were some other good ideas.

I think the togglestretch speed could be handled like the volume control (i.e. the same speed would be used after exiting one recording and playing another).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:50 am 
I use the time streach to speed through recorded sports. i access it my pressing the 'Menu' button on my remote which is globally mapped to, surprizingly, the menu function.

Time streach is at the bottom of the menu (couple clicks up). The submenu is easy to navigate to the desired setting.

I find that I only use time streach occasionally. I dont think I would would ever streach tow shows in a row. I think I would prefer to need to reselect the TS feature when needed then to have it persist to the next show (ala, the volume) . Infact, if the feature did persist, WAF would take a big hit if my wife were to watch Lost after I watched the Sox game.

Maybe toggle feature that would turn TS on and off to a preset value. So once you set the TS rate at say 1.4, a single key could toggle between no TS and 1.4. Not sure I would dedicate a remote's button for this toggle feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:55 am 
Rather than dedicating another button, the patch I submitted uses the same button. If you press the time stretch button when the timestretch osd is displayed, it goes back to 1x speed and removes the osd. If you then press the button again, it will re-enable time stretch at the rate that you had previously (and show the osd).

If you have been watching at speed for a while and the timestretch osd goes away, you just have to press the button twice to go back to 1x speed.

EDIT: OK, I just realised what you were saying, you dont even have a key that maps to 'A' on your remote. Oh well, I guess my patch will be of no use to you.