View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:26 am 
All,

What kind of power are your MythBoxs using? One of mine is using 62 watts standby, and 82 watts when watching or recording a show. The other is 80 standby, 100 watching.

To measure, you need a wattmeter like Kill-a-Watt

Does Knopp MythTV have any power saving options? It would be nice to go into a low power mode unless recording or watching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:43 pm 
What is Knopp MythTV? KnoppMyth includes nvram-wakeup which is probably the best way to save power... When idle, the box simply shuts down and wakes up X time before a recording...

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject: NVRam Wakeup
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:40 am 
Thanks I will look into the nvram-wakeup function

(I wasn't sure if it was part of MythTV itself or Knoppmyth, and you answered my question)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:15 pm 
And WOL?
I am on the verge of upgrading my mobo/cpu (a7n8x-vm400 with a1700+ to an a8n deluxe/a3800+x2). The only thing holding me back from nvram-wakeup is poor support on that crappy matx mobo for features like WOL. There have been too many occaisions when I've remotely scheduled recordings on a whim when I've not been home to let that go by...

Does anyone know of a web-friendly implementation to send a magic packet to wake-up the myth-backend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:57 pm 
lilestj wrote:
...clipped...

Does anyone know of a web-friendly implementation to send a magic packet to wake-up the myth-backend?

I've not used it but perhaps this might:
http://www.dslreports.com/wakeup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:11 pm 
The biggest issue with wake on LAN is if you have a router the magic packet can and likely will be blocked. The way I get around it is having a router with a custom Linux firmware that has an exposed an SSH server to the outside world. I then just log into the router with Putty or some other SSH client and type "./wol" which runs a script that calls ether-wake on my router. This causes my PC to then boot remotely without having too much exposed to the outside world with a firewall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:47 am 
I use a VIA MII10000 with a PVR350.

Not much in the CPU stakes, but its about 25 watts idle - the same as a dim bulb. 70-80 watts when busy.

Downsides are

- adskipping takes all night, so I haven't bothered to investigate auto-shutdown and wakeup.
- mythstreamtv just doesn't work - not enough grunt to drive VLC fast enough.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:07 am 
hunter44102 wrote:
All,

What kind of power are your MythBoxs using? One of mine is using 62 watts standby, and 82 watts when watching or recording a show. The other is 80 standby, 100 watching.

To measure, you need a wattmeter like Kill-a-Watt

Does Knopp MythTV have any power saving options? It would be nice to go into a low power mode unless recording or watching.

I have a Kill-a-watt too. 90 idle, 130 watching. I think I calculated once that it's $1 per Watt-Year so maybe $100/year if I were to run it nonstop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:28 pm 
tuatara
How many hard drives are in your setup?? 80watts seems very high for that board. Even under full load cpu usage should not go up much and I do not think the 350 takes that much power.

I have an amd geode 1750nx on a jetway board it has 2 seagate 3.5 inch hard drives. 512 ram 1 pvr-500 and 1-80 mm fan.

When I idle I have the one hard drive spin down and I use about 53watts of power. When I have 2 recordings going and watching show still with one hard drive still not spinning I run about 60 watts.
If I do not put the drive to sleep I run about 65 watts watching a recording and having 2 shows recorded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:36 pm 
Hi animatt,

Quote:
I have the one hard drive spin down
What / how do you shut down / spin drives back up? Been looking for that trick :) Maybe even able to save a watt or two also..

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:05 pm 
Right now I have 2 hard drives they are setup as an lvm so it appears to my as one large give. That said I still have tons of space left on the one hard drive before it will start saving to the other one. So the other one is in no use at all right now.

Command

su <-- become root
hdparm -S XXX YYYY
where XXX is a number 1-250ish this number get multiplied by 5 and that is the number of seconds it takes with no disk activity to spin done the drive.
YYYY is the actual device you wish to suspend.
IN my case the line looks like
hdparm -S 2 /dev/hdb
this takes 10 second no disc activity to spin down /dev/hdb

note this is not a system drive at all. I tried with the system drive and did not expect it to work and it diid not. There is constant logging on the / partition so it is always in use. I am actually wondering if there is an easy way to set all logging info to log /dev/null or possibly in a small ram disk. This way the only thing written to the drive is actually show recording. But I have not looked into it but I going to in near future. I save about 5 watts per drive.
I use a killa-watt meter so not terribly acccurate. I do also save a slight bit turn ram voltage down ( not a common motherboard setting) also should save a little by setting the ram to lower speeds. MY machine is mostly a backend. Only use frontend to test few things out so I really do not need tons of power. It uses hardware encoders so no issue to push any limits.
It does comflagging based on 2nd level option forget what it was but not simply black frames and it runs 60fps maybe little more maybe little less. Not a really performance machine but does run fairly nice for its power consumption. Maybe if I get into reencoding to mpeg4 I will beefg performance back up.

Also I am not sure how much ram a system needs. I have 2 tuners but may go up to 3 in the future (differnet board) For 1 tuner I know 256mb is plenty this should also save so volts. I know it is not much but why not if you do not need it.

anyway enough rambling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:48 pm 
Hi animatt,

Thank you. I sometimes move / cp stuff off to an external usb drive and it would be nice to shut it down after it finished. Will give it a try and now know what to look for to obtain more details. :)

May not be much, but every pebble in the well counts.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:14 am 
animatt wrote:
tuatara
How many hard drives are in your setup?? 80watts seems very high for that board. Even under full load cpu usage should not go up much and I do not think the 350 takes that much power.

I have an amd geode 1750nx on a jetway board it has 2 seagate 3.5 inch hard drives. 512 ram 1 pvr-500 and 1-80 mm fan.

When I idle I have the one hard drive spin down and I use about 53watts of power. When I have 2 recordings going and watching show still with one hard drive still not spinning I run about 60 watts.
If I do not put the drive to sleep I run about 65 watts watching a recording and having 2 shows recorded.

Some good questions.
I have one drive, and a couple of external self-powered USB/firewire drives. The power measurements were measured under load with a single drive and single PVR-350, CD drive.

I now have PVR-350 + PR-250 + USB HDD + Firewire HDD (both self powered).

Your idle power seems higher than I expected, and certainly higher than the standard idle load of a Via mobo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:34 am 
Yeah it starts fairly high but really does not move to much under load.

I am not sure if there are power saving features in the cpu that I am not using maybe something to scale it back when not in use. I may test out athcool to see if that helps any not sure.

If I get everything setup I might start messing around with nvram-wakeup. I guess really depends on how my machine developes. If I turn out to use 4 tuners it my not even be worth putting machine to sleep.

Anyway thanks for quick reponse.

Anyone know where all the logging on / happens?
Maybe I can mount a ram disk over it so the disk will not have any activity. And can go to sleep

Post subject: any wake-up delay?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:23 am 
Is there a delay when the drive needs to wake up and record?

I have a separate hard drive setup for my /myth partition and I'd like to put it to sleep when it's not recording. My concern is any potential delay in wake-up.

For example, if a recording is scheduled to begin at 8:00:00am, will the drive automatically be spun up just before 8:00:00am and ready to record right at 8:00:00am?

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Go to page 1, 2  Next