View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:57 am 
All right, first off I'm a total and complete newbie, so bear with me. I apologize in advance if this has been posted before and I missed it, I searched, and found only bits and pieces that I couldn't quite work out.

Anyway, on with the question.
I just recently installed R5E50 onto my comp, which I had both my TV and a LCD hooked up to at the time and everything seemed to install fine. Only problem was when it finally loaded the GUI, it fired up just fine onto the LCD and the TV well, lets just say all the colors are there, it just makes a pretty abstract art rather than actual usefulness. The TV and LCD are both hooked through the 9800XT, S-Video out and VGA out respectively. Every time I've tried to change a setting it hasn't worked. Usually makes things worse only because I don't quite know what I'm doing. Also tried booting up with just the TV hooked up, but also to no avail.

I would greatly appreciate any help in the matter (especially as far as exact commands needed). If you need any more info please tell me and I'll see what I can dredge up.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by theseekeroftru7h on Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:50 pm 
The only leads I have is the fact that when I switch over to the terminal it drops back down to the tv and shuts off the LCD, but any time I'm in the GUI it runs on the LCD and fubars the TV.

Anyone?

Please? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:43 pm 
Any ideas? Anyone? Pretty pretty please??

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:45 am 
I had similar problems but moved on for the Nvidia boards. I know it's not really a great thing to say but after screwing around with setting up ATI beta drivers with an ATI Radeon 9200 with Composite, SVIDEO and VGA outs and having Xorg report back that the max screen resolution was 720x20XX (some huge number)...

Anyhow I narrowed it down to a few lines of code in the driver that makes it detect the maximum available screen size and then makes the tv output match this incorrect amount.

Sorry got carried away... trust me though the ATI drivers are shiza. I poped in an NVIDIA MX 4000 and have been going strong ever since.

If you're hard pressed to get it working on the ATI stuff, without a lot of tweaking to get the other libraries and acceleration support working correctly for Xvlib I would start looking to somewhere that shows step by step how to compile the Radeon Drivers correctly with all of the up to date kernel source etc. I'm not sure if you would also need to recompile the mpeg libs, Xvlibs or any of the other crap that helps for playback, but it is a pretty big task.

A few other things:

Are you trying to attach a single display or have two displays on the card at one time?

Have you tried booting with only the TV connected?*** Don't try this unless you have the correct Vert/Horiz refresh rates etc.

Are you in a PAL or NTSC country?

Can you cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf and paste it in here?

Or... Just get an NVIDIA Card! :-)