View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:14 am 
I know in theory that a scan convertor should just take the output from the PC and then display it (or that's my basic understanding) but do X's settings affect them at all? Monitor settings etc?

I've got an issue with my Averkey Lite, it seems to be displaying all the colours, but some colours are blocky, especially gradients (i can't think of another way to describe it other than 'blocky' ). For instance if you look at a gradient, like on the background of the menu screens using the MythCenter theme, instead of smooth gradient, there are blocks of the different colours in the gradient.

It's kind of like when you take a picture / wallpaper and then set your monitor to display in a lower colour depth.

I setup the box on a monitor and then moved it to my lounge and plugged it into my Averkey Lite. I've tried changing the horizontal and vertical refresh to the safe ones (suggested in the readme for TV output) but that made no difference - and it shouldn't do cos the Averkey Lite handles quite a range. The colour depth is set to 24.

I've logged in via vnc / x11vnc and run scrot to capture the screen; transferring it to my laptop abnd viewing the screen grab shows the gradients are fine (I don't think it's becue I had VNC running where it all looks fine anyway).

I'm sure the Averykey Lite was fine before (this is a fresh install after a major hardware upgrade), so the only thing I can think of is that the X output is not to the Averkey's liking.

I'll try it hooked to another linux box and to a windows box later, but I just thought I'd post now and see if anyone had any suggestions / experience.

Thanks,

Post subject: Averkey 100Pro
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:40 am 
Hey, I'm having the same problem with the next model up the AverKey 100Pro... It's almost like it's downsampling the colours to 16-bit instead of 24 bit... does it have something to do with the colour range tv's can output maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:55 am 
I wouldn't have thought so, when I used to use the tv-out on my nvidia card it was ok, but a bit red like all nvidia cards.

I've just put up with it for now; I'd sure like to find a solution. One of these days I will plug it in to my windows laptop and see if that has the same issues.

Don't know what the pro is like but the lite came with next to nothing in terms of documentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:53 pm 
Likewise with the pro, nno docs to speak of and bugger all on the net. Have been trying to get my ati tv out working with little to no success so am putting up with it till I get my HD screen with dvi :)