Currently my setup is as follows:

ABIT NF7 (socket A mobo)
AMD 3000+
1gb RAM
320 GB HD
Hauppauge PVR 150
Hauppauge PVR 150 MCE
GeForce 5200 AGP w Svideo out

I am looking to move myself to a new system, but am wondering what the smoothest way to do this is. Here is my new hardware:

Asus A8V-MX (socket 939 mobo)
AMD 3800 X2
1gb RAM
320 GB (the same HD as above)
Pair of Hauppage PVR 150s (same cards as above)
GeForce 5200 AGP w Svideo out (same as above)

Essentially what I"m wanting to do is upgrade to a newer mobo/CPU. All other components would be remaining the same.

Is it feasible to simply shut the unit down, swap the hardware, and boot back up. Will my system properly detect the new mobo/cpu/etc and carry along smoothly or am I asking for all sorts of madness to breakout by doing this?

I would like to not re-install if it isn't necesary as I'd like to keep recordings and personalized scripts and such.

Anyone have any experience trying something like this?

Last edited by rando on Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:42 pm 
Never tried that... I think it's best to use the advanced backup script and do a fresh install. You probably can't hurt it to if you simply move the drive from one MB to another MB. Just be sure you do a nice backup first. If you have the disk space, why not dump the entire drive to another machine as a precaution. HDs are cheap these days. $159 for a 500 gig Seagate or WD which is like 32 cents / unformatted gig.

Let us know if the hd move works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:17 pm 
I unfortunately don't have the spare disc space at the moment.....

I could dish out a bit more cash for this upgrade, but really I'm trying to minimize the cost as much as possible. I had to buy a PCI-E vid card today to make this all possible, and I'd like to avoid spending more if I can.....

I think i'm just gonna do it. If it pukes and dies I'll wipe and start over, it really isn't the end of the world.

I *think* I'm gonna be ok though..... I mean I'm not running a kernel here that is custom built right? So it should detect any new stuff on boot and load the appropriate modules?

I'll let you all know how it goes =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:48 pm 
I have swapped test drives in and out of different systems and not noticed ill effects - The only thing that comes to mind with your setup is the sound device, you will probably need to spend some time reconfiguring (I'm assuming you are using onboard audio as you didn't note audio in your specs).

rando wrote:
I think i'm just gonna do it. If it pukes and dies I'll wipe and start over, it really isn't the end of the world.

I would perform the backup as graysky suggested, just in case. If there isn't anything on your system you can't live without then you don't have much to worry about :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:53 pm 
There is nothing especially critical.

Yes, I'm using onboard audio (on both the new and the old system). I do have a new set of issues though...

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/posting.ph ... ly&t=14464

this is my newest set of troubles.... Though I'm fiddling with it now, and might be on the right track. I would still appreciate input if anyone knows the answer(s) that i need.

Last edited by rando on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:31 pm 
I'm guessing you meant http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14464

I was just looking at that, don't know why mihanson's ideas wouldn't work (at least in theory, guess we'll find out once you try it :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:00 pm 
yeah, that's the post I meant (i've updated my posting to have the correct link).

The trick it seems is getting things booted to the point where I can get access to the filesystem to make these changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:24 pm 
Easiest way to get over that hurdle is to use the CD as a rescue disk...

We've had folks do motherboard swaps/disk moves without major grief before, so I'd expect the issuse to be things like needing to rerun netcardconfig and edit your X config.

Doing a backup before starting any kind of system maintenance is strongly recommended. That way you can always try an auto upgrade if you run into a hardware configuration issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:18 pm 
I'm already past the point of doing an upgrade (meaning I didn't do it). The system seems to be booting (i've given up on the mobo with the dead primary IDE and am now working off an Asus A8N5X.

I think I'm at the point where netcardconfig is my next required step..... the system is booting, but dropping me at the "please enter the root pw" stage. I think it's not connecting to the backend properly as I have it set to 192.168.0.200 in my settings and the IP that I currently have (I don't have any IP) isn't matching.

I can't SSH into the box as it has no IP, and my settings have it outputting to a TV, so as soon as X loads i lose my monitor and have only crappity wee text on a TV. fun.

I am making some ground though, and already this board feels more comfortable than the other. The other one was a VIA based board which kinda scared me.... I feel much more confident that this Nvidia board is going to play nice with my Hauppauge hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:25 pm 
Ok, I managed to blindly get my xorg.conf.bak file back in place as my default conf file, so I now can pull up a shell window and view it on a monitor, which is really good. It means I can start to do stuff =)

Running netcardconfig results in my eth2 being setup, not my eth0. Is there something I"m going wrong with here? I have setup my router to assign it the same IP as previously (192.168.0.200). And I am able to SSH in from my windows box. Starting to make some progress here. It seems like things are running fine mostly, just need to reset the cards as they got all mucked up.

Will running on eth2 instead of eth0 give me headaches down the road at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:35 pm 
I think you need
Code:
/usr/sbin/netcardconfig --force

Oh crud I just hosed my network config again trying to run that with "--help". :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:38 am 
Ok, thanks very much for the pointer, sorry that you boinked your network settings while trying to check somethign for me, hope it was pretty trivial for you to get back online properly.

I haven't had a chance to try the --force yet, but I will later this evening. Things seem to be running alright with eth2. The only thing I've noticed is that my usage graphs are watching eth0 and there is currently no traffic there. Easy enough to fix if the --force doesn't get me back on track with eth0.

I do have a few other minor things that i'm seeing here. I have one tuner running straight analog cable and one running digital cable via the svdideo output of my cable box. The svideo feed is working perfectly and recording no problem, to get the analog working I had to move it to my only other PCI slot. For some reason I was getting blank recordings with "B" as the size. I dunno why, but moving it to a diff PCI slot seems to have resolved that.

In the process of troubleshooting that problem I had deleted and re-added my cards several times in the settings of my backend. Currently my two tuners are being registered as Tuner11 and Tuner12, is there a way to geth them back down to 0 and 1? Again, not something that's vital, but it is something that would be nice as 11 and 12 is kinda silly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:06 am 
I sucessfuly did a move of hardware from one machine to another. I did the mythbackup script after booting up the hard drive for the first time on the new box. I then did a auto install. See here for links and details:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=

The cloning of my hard drive was not necessary but I wanted a complete backup before the plunge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:17 am 
I've already done the hardware migration (I didn't do a backup and re-install/restore) I simply moved the hard drive and the tuners to the new motherboard and went from there.

Currently everything is up and running with a few minor exceptions. My network is running on eth2 (tjc has suggested a remedy for this). And my tuners are registered as tuner11 and tuner12 rather than tuner0 and tuner1 (due to me having removed and readded them several times to try to resolve an issue I was seeing).

I appreciate your reply, but I don't see anything in that thread that addresses my current situation. Am I just missing it, or maybe did you think I had yet to do the hardware changeover?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:20 am 
I was hoping my reply might help out others looking to migrate their hardware from one machine to another. There seems to be a increase in people asking this question lately. Sorry that I did not address your situation.

Go to page 1, 2  Next