View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:08 pm 
Hi,
I installed my knoppmyth system with an old cd-rw drive and everything was working fine. Then, I wanted to replace the old cd-rw drive by a new DVD player I bought but it doesn't seem to work. When I put a cd or dvd in the new drive it doesn't mount and I can't access it with mythmusic for instance.

Also I can see these errors in the system log:

Nov 1 22:56:41 mythtv kernel: hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Nov 1 22:56:41 mythtv kernel: hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
Nov 1 22:56:41 mythtv kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 0

I think that Knoppmyth is detecting the hardware and configuring the system only while the installation process. Is there a way I could rerun the hardware detection to install my new dvd-rom drive without reinstall the complete system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:21 pm 
The DVD-ROM drive should work without changing anything (exept maybe an extra symlink of /dev/dvd to /dev/hdc, but that's optional).

Perhaps the new drive is faulty, doesn't accept DMA (or requires it) or the master / slave / cable select jumper is set incorrectly.

The last is the most likely. It's worth double checking it and set it properly. I would avoid using cable select and only use master / slave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:04 pm 
Yeah, if you didn't connect the new drive so it appears in the same "place" as the old one that could be it. Try running the cd_link.sh script as root and see if that fixes things for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:43 pm 
Hi tjc,

I alway seem to jump in questions you have to answer. (Should I stop asking you?)

I have the same problem the thread describes (upgrade from old CD to a DVDROM - remember? I am the guy with the PC without onboard-modem.) My z25...cd.rules only shows the CD entries.

I cannot find the cd_link.sh-script in my R5E50 installation.

Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:14 pm 
Hi,

Just as a stupid question, did you check the rom drive jumper and cable connector? I would think it should be on second port, probably connector closest to mother for hdc and end one for hdd with jumper set for master.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:35 am 
HI Mike,

mother says, there are no stupid questions. But the cables and jumpers are ok. Strange things are going on betwenn heaven and earth.

Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:15 pm 
Hi

You are being kind :) It could be a defective drive although I do doubt it. I did have one situation where hardware things just didn't work, then as a last shot I popped on a new 80 conductor cable and suddenly all was right with the world. I can only assume it needed the shielding.

What is yur hardware line up? Maybe it will ring a bell with someone and help provide the magic plug.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:12 am 
A collegue was at the CEBIT yesterday. He is not hardware pro or even semipro, but maybe it was inspiring ;-)

Did I already write, that the DVD device is recognized as /dev/CDROM? I can mount the filesystem. I just can´t play DVDs.

Red