View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:20 pm 
I just upgraded my systems. My backend now houses a DViCo Fusion Lite, my wall has a fresh new HDTV and my dresser supports a Buffalo Link Theater as a new frontend. I set my recording schedules through MythWeb, so I don't mind the loss of the traditional standard definition MythTV frontend provided by my xbox. The Link Theater took all of 5 seconds to find the backend. It even upconverts to high definition. Sweet.

My only concern is fast forwarding programs. While the Link Theater plays the recorded programs fine, it gets stuck when hitting the fast forward button, freezing at the current frame while the front panel LEDs indicate about thirty seconds of advance. Pressing the play button continues playback at about 30 seconds further in the program.

I suspect the problem is in the MythTV encoding. I also have a PVR-350, but AFAIK, both cards will create MPEG-2 transport streams, which might be the reason the Link Theater hiccups. I've tested .vob files, and the Link Theater fast-forwards at any speed chosen, so I'm leaning on the encoded tv shows.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this problem? Perhaps I need to transcode (and plan to set this up along with the auto-commercial deletion), but I'm not sure how I should set this up. I've got plenty of gigs to spare, so quality and performance are my main concerns.

Any help is greatly appreciated & kudos to the geniuses that developed MythTV, R5E50, and KnoppMyth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:51 pm 
IIRC, in the recording profiles for an MPEG2 recording devices, you can select what type of stream is being written to disk.

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:21 pm 
bruce_s01 wrote:
IIRC, in the recording profiles for an MPEG2 recording devices

Thanks. Do you know if the problem I describe is caused by the container file? What profile should I set up to cure the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:54 pm 
Quote:
Do you know if the problem I describe is caused by the container file?
I honestly have no idea.
Looking at the profile (Utilities/Setup->Setup->TV Settings->Recording Profiles) types (Hardware DVB Encoders and MPEG-2 Encoders (PVR-x50, PVR-500)), the hardware one only allows to select Normal, TV only and Audio Only. The default is normal, so it might be worthwhile trying out TV only as this would remove subtitles etc.
The various quality settings don't really apply, but I suppose you could set one of each to use each of the above and if you are recording a DVB radio channel, you could just use that particular quality profile.
For the PVR one, It allows MPEG2-PS, TS, MPEG1-VCD, PES-AV, PES-V, PES-A, DVD, DVD-Special 1, Special 2.
The default appears to be MPEG2-PS, so rules out your supposed Transport Stream problem.
If You are having no problems with .VOBs, perhaps the DVD ones might work.

What I would suggest is set up a profile you don't normally use, set it for your normal size and bit rate and do some test recordings using that profile using the various types and see what happens when you do your fast forward/rewind thing on playback.

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:43 pm 
Is there any trick to get the Link Theater to work with your Myth backend?

My Buffalo Link Theater "sees" the backend server, but I have not been able to stream any audio or video files.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:47 pm 
Lofty wrote:
Is there any trick to get the Link Theater to work with your Myth backend?

My Buffalo Link Theater "sees" the backend server, but I have not been able to stream any audio or video files.

Mine is hardwired, but I'm discovering that there are bugs in the MythTV uPnP server. I say this because I copied a recording over that would not fast forward to another Linux server, and I could fast forward.

I merely hit enter on my Link Theater, with the MythTV server highlighted, where I got two menus --

Recordings
Music

When I hit enter on Recordings, I got a whole bunch of menus. The only one that works is the first one:

All recordings

After that, a listing of only mpeg files appears. Any files in .nuv format will not appear. I found that if you change the file extension to .mpg, then the Link Theater will display the recording.

I'm still working on the transcoding issue, which will most likely also solve the .nuv filename extension and commercial removal issues. But, now that I've found the bug, I need to know where to report it.

Can anyone tell me where I should report bugs?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:06 pm 
robsbox wrote:
I'm still working on the transcoding issue, which will most likely also solve the .nuv filename extension and commercial removal issues. But, now that I've found the bug, I need to know where to report it.

Can anyone tell me where I should report bugs?

You may want to compile MythTV from SVN and see if problem still exists, lot of changes to uPnP.

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/TicketHowTo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:40 am 
spalVl wrote:
You may want to compile MythTV from SVN and see if problem still exists, lot of changes to uPnP.

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/TicketHowTo

Thanks spalVl. Subversioning might be the way to go. I took a pass through the tickets and it appears they are already aware of the fast-forwarding problem. Any idea when 0.21 is coming out (there is no target date on SVN)?

Frontends: Buffalo Link Theater, Mac Mini Intel duo core & Xbox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:00 am 
robsbox wrote:
Any idea when 0.21 is coming out (there is no target date on SVN)?

When it's ready. :wink: Seriously, I wouldn't know but here is a good way to track progress. http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/roadmap

Have a go at SVN, I run it now on my production machines and I learned a lot from doing so. Following the SVN howto at http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... hTVFromSVN is a snap, then if there are any bugs with uPnP with Link Theatre you can create tickets for them and help development along.

Or mail me your Buffalo for "testing" uPnP. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:30 pm 
spalVl wrote:
Following the SVN howto at http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... hTVFromSVN is a snap, then if there are any bugs with uPnP with Link Theatre you can create tickets for them and help development along.

Thanks spalVl, it really was a snap. Now I can fast forward, but the damn thing starts playing at the beginning when I hit play. I submitted a ticket. Eventually, they'll get there. Hope they get lossless transcoding in HD squared away soon too.

Regards,

Rob

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:32 pm 
robsbox wrote:
spalVl wrote:
... then if there are any bugs with uPnP with Link Theatre you can create tickets for them and help development along.

Thanks spalVl, it really was a snap. Now I can fast forward, but the damn thing starts playing at the beginning when I hit play. I submitted a ticket. ...

I fixed the fast-forwarding problem. See http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5854

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:53 pm 
Quote:
I fixed the fast-forwarding problem.

Very cool!!!

I do love the way OpenSouce works. In a closed source product that problem very well may have never been fixed. Why would company X fix company Y's implementation. Robsox would probably not have been permitted to view the program source code to see what is happening and then submit a patch to fix. Anyway well done.