View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: USB External Audio
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:10 pm 
Hi All,
Still loving this project :D
I have a problem which I hope can be solved by someone with more Linux knoledge then me (almost anyone).
I am running KnoppMyth on a Via Epia-M9000 and at the moment using it only as a jukebox. I realise this is a little unconventional!
The system has on board sound using the via-82xx chip which is sort of supported out of the box. The problem is it will only play 48kHz samples so everything has to be up sampled from 44kHz. This 'feature' is not supported out of the box :( . I know it's possible to get this working as it works fine for all the hardware specific distros out there (minimyth, freepia, freevix etc) Even with the up sampling working the sound quality is only average at best.
With that in mind I have an AV receiver that has a built in USB sound card coupled directly to the internal DAC. It sounds great under Windoze. It uses the Burr Brown/TI pcm2902 chip whcih is aledgedly supported by Linux http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=1904.
I have just spent all weekend trying to get this thing working and it seems like it almost works. KnoppMyth recognises the chip and interegates it to find out it's capabilites. Then it registers it as a dsp and a mixer but I cannot get it to play anything :x
Any ideas? I could post some logs but I'll wait for someone to tell me what would be most useful.
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:09 am 
No one using an external sound card then? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:02 pm 
Hi All,
Further to the above I tested my system with the latest Knoppix release (V3.3 19-11-03). To my initial supprise it worked like a dream!
Upon further investigation it seams that XMMS will only play mp3s (or anything else) using the OSS input plugin.
Does this have any relavence to getting KnoppMyth working with my USB sound card?
Any help much appreciated!

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:48 pm 
Try "ALSA install script after HD install" from Kano's site.http://kano.mipooh.net/

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:32 am 
Hi Cesman,
Thanks for that. I don't have access to my box until the weekend but I'll try it then.
Did you mean to try this script on KnoppMyth or Knoppix or both? :)
Does Knoppmyth only use ALSA? I see that MythTV has some info in their docs about using OSS if you're running Redhat. What would be invlolved in switching Knoppmyth to OSS if I can't get ALSA working?
So many questions so few answers!
Steve