View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Tinny audio pvr150 r5f27
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:02 pm 
Just installed R5F27 and looks good. But the audio from my PVR150's sometimes are tinny and scratchy. The problem goes away if I escape to the main menu and then reenter the TV. I seem to remember a while ago having this problem. Was fixed using IVTV 1.0 and later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:32 am 
I'm also seeing this problem but it seems to be random. I think I've had three recording that have had this problem. Other recording before and after the bad one seem to be fine so rebooting doesn't seem to make a difference in this case. I did try Watch TV right after a recording that was bad and it was bad as well. Going in and out of Watch TV didn't change anything that time so I rebooted and Watch TV was fine after that. I haven't really had enough time to look into this more yet but it is confusing. I'm also using a PVR-150 non MCE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:11 pm 
I'm having the same problem on one of the two tuners of my PVR-500. I used to have this problem, but it was fixed in a driver release.

When I used to have the problem, I could send an ivtvctl command to fix it, but the command I used to send is no longer a valid option to ivtvctl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:20 pm 
I added the following to the bottom of my change-channel-lirc.sh script and I think it may have done the trick.
Code:
v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video1 --set-audio-input=1

Change the video device as necessary.

Of course, not having to do that is preferrable, but at least it solves the problem for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:15 pm 
I've got the same problem. I tried the fix above and it doesn't work. I'll still randomly get the very tinny nasty audio. It sounds like it's trying to do audio with like 2 bit or something; it clips horribly and sounds like it's got a tin speaker with coins rattling around on it or something.

I have two PVR-150 cards; one about 2 years old and one about 2 months old. They both have this problem in this machine.

I was on R5F1 for months and never had this problem. Now about every 4th recording has horrendous audio that you can barely understand and my ears literally ring after listening to it for 20 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:55 pm 
OK, I think I've solved it. I've gone into "live TV" a couple of dozen times after doing the steps below and haven't seen the problem.

The problem is also discussed here:
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/ ... 46767.html

The problem seems to lie in the newer version of the audio firmware for the PVR150. I replaced the firmware with the older one found here:
http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/ivtv/firmware/
Here's step-by-step:
Code:
su
(enter root password)
cd /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware
wget http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/ivtv/firmware/HcwMakoB.ROM
mv v4l-cx25840.fw v4l-cx25840.fw.hld
mv HcwMakoB.ROM v4l-cx25840.fw
reboot

This will put the older firmware (14264 bytes) into the system, and it'll get reloaded when you reboot. If this causes more problems for you than it solves, simply copy the old one back again (renamed to v4l-cx25840.fw.hld above)

They say the newer version of the firmware "fixes a bunch of problems" with the old one, but until they fix this horrendous problem that it introduces, using the old one is probably in order for those of us experiencing this issue. Unfortunately the firmware with this problem is dated May 26, 2006, so fixing it doesn't appear to be a big priority. It's also possible that this is only a problem when coupled with some other thing that changed. Hopefully the IVTV people will find a good solution that allows use of the newer firmware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:58 am 
Nope, it didn't actually solve it. 2 of the 3 recordings made overnight were screwed up.
I really, really hope someone solves this, because it's making Myth nearly unusable for me. At least half the recordings are unusable, and it's a problem that's been reported for over a year now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:11 am 
Have you double checked all the volumes in all of your recording profiles to make sure that they're not set too high?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:29 am 
OK, I have a suboptimal fix for me.
I've switched to RF (tuner) input. The discussions on the ivtv lists indicate that for many people the tinny audio problem only occurs on SVideo and composite inputs. I ran the cable and switched to RF, and it's working OK as far as I can tell.

There are messages on the ivtv boards from over a year ago indicating that this problem was "fixed" as of 0.7.1, yet here we are on ivtv 1.1.0 and still having the problem.

I tried all 3 firmwares that hauppauge has released, including the original 2004 version, 13883 bytes, with no luck.

I don't know what version of ivtv was on R5F1, but that worked for me for months without problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:31 am 
tjc wrote:
Have you double checked all the volumes in all of your recording profiles to make sure that they're not set too high?

That's a good thought, it does sound like it's overblown, but that's not it.

A wrong setting would not explain how if I go into "Live TV" a bunch of times it's fine, fine, horrible, fine, horrible, fine, fine, fine, horrible, etc.? It's random. If it were set too high it would be horrible all the time.

This is a recognized problem, if you google for 'mythtv "tinny audio"' you'll find discussion of it on many lists going back to early 2006.

If I didn't need the new version for Schedules Direct compatibility, I'd move back to R5F1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:49 am 
This one is frustrating. I've never seen it happen on the coax input though, so you're probably safe for now.

I use coax for over the air and svideo for DirecTv. I've never had the tinny audio with any of the coax recordings in R5D1 or R5F27. Both R5D1 and R5F27 seem as random as you described for the svideo/line-in audio recordings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:49 am 
jridley wrote:
A wrong setting would not explain how if I go into "Live TV" a bunch of times it's fine, fine, horrible, fine, horrible, fine, fine, fine, horrible, etc.? It's random. If it were set too high it would be horrible all the time.

Not necessarily true. It could be a combination of the input signal and your processing of it. You must have noticed that some programs are louder than others, or that commercials are at a different volume than the programs...

jridley wrote:
This is a recognized problem, if you google for 'mythtv "tinny audio"' you'll find discussion of it on many lists going back to early 2006.

I'm well aware of the problem. I've experienced it myself and followed the discussions of it and other ivtv issues for years now. We used to see many more reports along these lines. By far the most common cause these days is "turn it up to 11", "more _must_ be better" thing. For a short while the ivtv drivers were actually capping and scaling any volume requests to ~90-95% of maximum to prevent this, but that caused other problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:58 pm 
The problem for me resurfaced when I upgraded to R5F27. I had not seen the problem in R5E50.

When I discovered some recordings that had the problem again, I tried the old ivtvctl fix I used to use and found that the options had changed and I needed to try v4l2-ctl.

I set up a recording to start at once, and watched it, catching up to "live". It had the tinny audio. Then I logged in remotely and ran "v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video1 --set-audio-input=1" and the audio cleared up immediately.

Unfortunately, it's not a foolproof solution. As I posted above, I tried to add it to the bottom of my change-channel script. Two of the recordings that were then created using that script resulted in no audio whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:44 pm 
Rathkopf wrote:
I set up a recording to start at once, and watched it, catching up to "live". It had the tinny audio. Then I logged in remotely and ran "v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video1 --set-audio-input=1" and the audio cleared up immediately.

Unfortunately, it's not a foolproof solution. As I posted above, I tried to add it to the bottom of my change-channel script. Two of the recordings that were then created using that script resulted in no audio whatsoever.

Yes, it's an interesting effect but not useful as a solution. I put it in my channel change script and it seemed to cause the problem as often as it fixed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:47 pm 
tjc wrote:
jridley wrote:

Not necessarily true. It could be a combination of the input signal and your processing of it. You must have noticed that some programs are louder than others, or that commercials are at a different volume than the programs...

Yes, but... maybe I'm misunderstanding your explanation. I have only one input and one tuner card and one set of settings and all the signals are coming from a DishTV receiver with no volume control option, and I'm going in to one channel repeatedly, with the same audio level and whatnot. Yet it still randomly gets totally screwed up. It's not subtle; when it's OK it's totally fine, then I escape out and go back in and it's totally horrendous on the same program 10 seconds on, will stay like that as long as I stay in, I escape out and go back in and it's totally fine for as long as I care to watch.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next