View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:31 pm 
There doesn't appear to have been an update on this recently in any other thread so I was wondering if there had been a change with LinHES being about to support playing purchased Bluray discs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:34 am 
No change and probably won't be. The MPAA went to great lengths to make sure Blu-ray encryption is much better than the DVD encryption was.

Nothing is unbreakable but it's going to take a really talented hacker. That or a complete 180 in the MPAA's business model. Unless you can out lobby the MPAA in Congress? :roll:

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:52 am 
Martian wrote:
No change and probably won't be. The MPAA went to great lengths to make sure Blu-ray encryption is much better than the DVD encryption was.

Nothing is unbreakable but it's going to take a really talented hacker. That or a complete 180 in the MPAA's business model. Unless you can out lobby the MPAA in Congress? :roll:

Martian

Thanks for the update Martian. Damn annoying to have to put up with the crap the MPAA dishes out but maybe one day it'll change!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:11 pm 
Gibble wrote:
The sad thing is I have no problem buying a movie once...I've got hundreds of DVDs...I'd start buying blurays of new movies if I could actually play them by adding a player to my pvr. Since that won't work, I'll either buy the movie on DVD until that's no longer an option, or get the movie onto the pvr by other means. I'm not going to buy a settop bluray player...it defeats the purpose of a multimedia pc that plays everything.

The sad thing is, I'm a programmer, I should be against pirating since I wouldn't want my apps pirated. But I also realize that you can only go so far trying to prevent that before you start harming your legitimate customers, or potential customers and ruining your reputation.

IMHO, that is what the RIAA and MPAA are slowly doing.

...and I broke down and bought a set top blu ray player... :cry:

KM: R5.5
CPU: Athlon 3800+
Vid: nvidia 7300GT
Snd: Chaintech av-710
Tuner: PVR150
HD: 1000gb sata + 750gb sata + 500gb usb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:41 am 
I only have a 32" LCD. At that size Blu-ray just doesn't gain me much over DVD to justify the extra cost / hassle.

At this point I'm thinking I'm going to pass on Blu-ray and look for a good VOD / Streaming solution for my HD fix. In the mean time I'm happy with DVD.

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Go to page Previous  1, 2