View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: random crashing/reboots
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:08 am 
After getting all my configuration/video problems worked out there's one left. The random crashing / reboots.

When I first installed I used 2 1gb sticks of ram. The system would randomly shut down and the power would have to be turned off to the system for 5 -10 seconds before it would power back on. This would happen every 30 min or so.

So I removed one stick, it still did it. I put that stick back and removed the other stick and it stopped happening (at least that often). It has since restarted twice and shutdown once while watching hdtv playback. (so it still happens, but not as often).

I ran memtest+ last night and when I went to bed it was at 4 passed and 0 errors, but when I woke up the system was off and the power had to be turned off for 5 sec before it would boot up again.

Hardware:
AMD X2 4800+
ASUS M2A-VM MATX Mobo (open box from newegg)
2x (changed to 1x) 1gb stick of ddr2
1tb hitachi sata hd
phillips sata dvd+-rw
hd homerun network tuner

I don't think it's the cpu temps. Looking at mythweb in the past it said it was @ 40 degrees.

I know it's one of these 4 things.

bad ram
bad psu
bad motherboard (I bought open box off newegg)
cpu overheating

I think the top two are the most likely. Although i'm not sure about bad motherboard. Is this even an error that could cause?

Any advice as to narrowing down the problem. I will try a different (working) stick of ram later today and see if that fixes it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:43 pm 
Site Admin
Anything in /var/log/syslog or the mythtv logs (/var/log/mythtv/)? Have you have memtest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:08 pm 
nothing in the logs related to this. Tried memtest again and it turned off again somewhere after the 1st pass.

I'm also getting the suspicion that the cpu temp in mythweb might not be accurate cause it always says 40 degrees.

I'll watch some hd video and then reboot and check temp from bios.

Then i'll try replacing the ram.

Thanks Cecil. Mythtv is awesome. Been thinking about a hd myth box ever since stopping by your booth at SCALE in 07.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:50 pm 
Hi,

I would be suspicious of the power supply, just has that aroma.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:19 am 
JGShinn wrote:
ASUS M2A-VM MATX Mobo (open box from newegg)
2x (changed to 1x) 1gb stick of ddr2

I have purchased 2 open box M2NPV-VMs from NewEgg - One continues to work flawlessly, the other was RMA'd due to problems similar to those you describe. Also, make sure your RAM specs out at the correct voltage for the motherboard, Asus boards are known for being finicky in this regard.

EDIT: Have another M2NPV-VM that locks up randomly (and frequently) when using the Primary IDE controller. /EDIT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:19 pm 
interesting. I will find out soon enough.

I'm thinking it's a memory problem and I found a deal at frys.com for 18.99 after rebate (free shipping) for 2x1gb ddr2 crucial balistix memory. So that should be here tomorrow and I can determine if that's the problem.

If that doesn't work i'll be sure to request the RMA soon as you only have 14 days on open box.