Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:53 pm 
abigailsweetashoney wrote:
slowtolearn wrote:
warchildx wrote:
eventually, but not immediately in February when the analog OTA shutoff happens.

when it happens...
--yes you will have to buy digital cable
--yes you will need new hardware (cable box, but can record analog from back of box using ir blaster to control channel changing, and existing analog tuner card) - or replacement tuner card for digital signal.
--3ghz required for encoding?... this statement about digital encoding applies to QAM HD (in the clear - on cable line) video encoding, not digital itself.

The whole IR Blaster setup seems really kludgy. I can see my kids ripping it to shreds. I'd rather buy a new digital tuner card. Any recommendations?
You will need some way to change the channels on the cable box, thus the need for the blaster. The output from the cable box determines the channel you watch.

You have some time, but eventually everything will be digital. And though the cable companies are required to supply analog to you until 2012, they don't have to send analog down the line - They can provide you a digital-to-analog converter (or one of their normal digital boxes) instead.

So you're saying that even with a digital tuner card I still need the IR blaster?

Digital tuner cards get you one of two things.
1. Over the air local broadcast TV ATSC
2. UNencrypted cable tv. (which is mostly rebroadcast of the over the air channels)

When your cable company goes digital only you will need their box to downconvert the HD content and convert the Standard Def so that your composite/s-video inputs on the PVR-350 can record them. You would no longer use the coax connector. The IR blaster changes the channel to the station you want to record. Composite and S-video only carries one feed at a time. So if you want to record two stations at a time you need two cable boxes and two capture cards.

To record HD from cable you may want to look into the Hauppauge HDPVR. You will still need the ir blaster but this device records from Component sources in HD. It hasn't been released yet(?) and there are no Linux drivers (yet).

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18249

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:54 pm 
Abigail: again, see my previous message. There is no such thing as a digital tuner card that works with MythTV in the way you're thinking of it (one that would substitute for a digital cable set-top box).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:43 pm 
To add another wrinkle:

In addition to jorin and ceenvee703's points, your cable company is supposed to provide a firewire-enabled STB (settop box). I have not done so myself, but I believe you can record unencrypted content via firewire without any additional tuners whatsoever - The STB is your only tuner at that point, the stream is saved to disk from the firewire input. If I am off base here someone please chime in.

Any way you slice it, if you get your content from a cable provider (or dish for that matter) an STB will be required and you will need a way to change the channels on said STB. That's where the blaster comes in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:08 pm 
Thanks guys. I just assumed that a digital tuner card worked just like my PVR-350 analog cards. I actually thought it was a stupid question. Thanks for the answer.

So those myth users with digital setups... can I get a picture of some of them? In my mind I see wires all over and lots non-kid friendly stuff everywhere.

So I guess the real problem with the Feb 2009 switchover will be when things go fully digital and my PVR-350's can't encode any longer. They will (correct me if I'm wrong) however be able to decode anything saved. So I can still use them to pump video out to the tv.

Thanks!

Abby

Last edited by abigailsweetashoney on Tue May 06, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:11 pm 
Hey I'm just full of questions tonight. Here's another.

How do I know if my tv's can even handle digital cable?

Thanks.

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:34 pm 
Hey I'm just full of questions tonight. Here's another.

How do I know if my tv's can even handle digital cable?

Thanks.

The problem is how the cable company is going to send the signal down the wire. Right now you are recording an analog feed, completely unencrypted. If and when the time comes that your cable company turns off analog and goes digital they will most likely encrypt the signal as well as use another codec. So they may use MPEG2 or MPEG4(H264) to compress the file down as much as they think users will not notice. If it is encryted or flagged it is dead in the water. So the cable box can unencrypt the signal so you can watch it. If you have a device that can record the output that will be your opportunity. Any cable box will give you the ability to send the proper signal that your TV can handle. They want your business since broadcast TV is going away from SD.

Your tv and PVR-350 cannot handle digital cable. Their box can and will send the appropriate signal to your TV.

Some of the newer HD TVs can use cablecards but this depends on the cable company to make them available. Usually for a price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:45 pm 
So, ha, am I just bone headed and oblivious to this while everyone else is in the know? Shouldn't a standard be developed BEFORE turning off analog signalling?

I guess there's no real need to answer. :roll:

So I also assume that Hauppauge will be reaping some serious profits soon after Feb 2009 huh? Time to get some strategic equity positions. hmmm

Thanks.

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:53 pm 
Hi,

Even I am getting confused, but that is easy to do for me.

I also have the 350 card as that is about the only way to play real tv with a 600mhz machine. I also have the HDHomeRun box which has dual ota digital tuners. I record fron the digital homerun on the 600mhz machine as there is no processing required, it is already digital.

To play back a hd recording I jump through hoops and turn it into an iso which reprocesses it to be a standard ntsc image. It does take a while but I end up with a file that I can play and it still looks very nice :)

I am afraid that I will have to use my 350 card for quite sometime in the future as I am too damn cheap to simply throw it away.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:33 pm 
I'm in the same boat apparently. Cheap is my middle name. My friends call me Ms. Kastanza.

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:46 pm 
So I also assume that Hauppauge will be reaping some serious profits soon after Feb 2009 huh?
If their HD PVR works as advertised then I would say they will be well placed in the market, yes :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:42 pm 
Hi,

Also the 350 and some 150 cards have an fm tuner in them, not sure of the 150 flavor however my 350 fm tuner works vey nicely! Big hit with the wife too. Some may not know that radio was around a long time before even b/w tv :) Who needs digital tv anyway.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:18 pm 
whoa whoa whoa here. Does myth support the FM tuner? Or if not, how are you using it?

Thanks.

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm 
Hi,
No, Myth does not suport the FM radio however it is very easy to hack into life, with menus added too. Want to try it, start a new thread. :)
Mike
Or use this:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... 12a4a5b1e9

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:00 pm 
I'm in the process of building an HTPC and when I called our cable company (Charter) to ask about the digital switchover they said they have no plans to switch to all digital in the forseeable future.

Today I just got my Charter Connect Newsletter and they had a link for info about the digital change over and they are again stating that the digital transition will have no immediate effect on their subscribers. In fact they seem to be using their continuance of analog as a marketing tool (even mentioning that in most cases you don't need a set top converter).

http://connect.charter.com/cas/Portal/c ... ition.aspx

TTYL,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:02 pm 
I just heard that comcast is going digital immediately in February. So I may not have the same luck as you.

Abby

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next