View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:51 pm 
abigailsweetashoney wrote:
I just heard that comcast is going digital immediately in February. So I may not have the same luck as you.

I've heard mixed messages from Comcast -- one time they told me that they were cutting all analogue in Feb/09; another time they told me they would continue to carry analogue past Feb/09. It's difficult to tell which way the cards will fall, but I'll try calling them again to see what they are saying over here...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:15 pm 
I work for a very large financial company. Even when we try to enforce a change it's sporadic. I think comcast will be similar. They probably want to ditch analog asap but it'll be quicker in some areas than others. Unfortunately NY metro and California probably will be on the quicker side.

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:24 am 
Comcast... probably want[s] to ditch analog asap but it'll be quicker in some areas than others.

So fast in fact that Comcast ditched analog in Chicago almost a year ago:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6433928.html

EDIT: actually, I guess it just ditched its extended basic analog channels... it was still transmitting local programming and a few cable channels in analog. So they didn't switch it completely off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:19 am 
So how did that affect you and your myth box? (assuming you live there)

Is the digital compressed yet?

Thanks.

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:47 am 
Nope, don't live in Chicago, just went to school there and thus am fond of it. :)

When I switched to Fios I was in a similar situation, though, as Fios only carries local broadcast stations over analog, I think they have absolutely no cable channels on their analog service. So basically I started IR blasting and recording set-top box output into my 150's video input as described earlier in this thread. It's been working great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:53 pm 
I have Comcast in Peoria, IL (they just took over from Insight). I e-mailed them a week ago asking if they have plans to terminate analog broadcasts on a certain date and the response was:
Quote:
We have not been advised that we will be providing only a digital signal
in the near future.

Thank you for choosing Comcast.

*shrug*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:15 pm 
I also currently have FIOS. My BE has 2 PVR150s. I have one connected to the standard def motorol set top box that verizon supplied and get all the channels on that tuner. To control the box I use the IRblaster that works with the PVR150.

On the second tuner I have no set top box (fios's coax direct to the PVR150) but can receive all channels up to 49 (which is the OTA channels). Two months ago I got a letter from Verizon informing me that they were going all digital in my area in June and that any TV connected without a box would no longer work with any channels. They offered ( and I accepted) to supply 2 free boxes which I have received but not hooked up yet. My plan was to use one of these boxes for the second tuner and buy a serial IRBlaster to control this box.

In Verizon's latest newsletter however, they state that you will not need a box if you have a QAM tuner built into your TV
Quote:
What will I have to do as a FiOS TV customer?
Verizon will be transitioning to the all-digital format on a gradual basis throughout 2008, and we'll notify customers by mail and by phone when their communities are ready. We'll start that transition in the Spring of 2008. We expect the transition will be finished by the end of the year.

Customers receiving FiOS TV service will need to ensure that each TV set in the home is equipped with a Verizon-supplied set top box, digital adapter, or CableCARD so that they can continue to enjoy the service on all of their sets. Only TVs with a built-in digital QAM tuner will not need a set top box or digital adapter to receive Local programming.

How do I know if my TV set has an internal digital tuner (a QAM tuner)?
You should check your television's manual to determine if it includes a QAM tuner or check for the DCR (Digital Cable Ready) label on your TV set. A QAM tuner is a special electronic tuning device found in some of the new digital television sets being sold today. A QAM tuner enables your TV to tune in to the stations included in the FiOS TV Local package without the need for a set top box or digital adapter. If you are unable to determine if your TV includes a built-in QAM tuner, then you should check with the manufacturer.

So my new plan was to buy a QAM tuner (rather then a IRBlaster) and just connect the FIOS coax to it. Any reason that should not work? If so can anyone suggest a cheap QAM tuner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:51 pm 
1) Hey, I don't get a newsletter! :-/

2) Any QAM tuner should work: these -- http://mythic.tv/index.php?cPath=21_25 -- or the HD HomeRun. So the good news is you don't have to IR blast to change channels. Bad news is you will get far fewer channels than a paid set-top box... note they say only local programming. (The free STBs only get local programming too, though.) Good news is that includes broadcast HD channels, which I'll bet the free STBs don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:16 am 
Actually according to their website the free box (digital adapter) gets more then just the local channels
Quote:
Verizon-issued set-top box: Verizon has many choices of set-top boxes ranging from standard-definition STB to high-definition (HD) DVR. Set-top boxes provide access to programming and the full range of interactive features available on FiOS TV.
Verizon-issued digital adapter: Smaller than our set-top boxes, the Verizon digital adapter lets our FiOS TV customers view local, national and premium standard-definition channels available on other set-top boxes in the home. It doesn't support high-definition or interactive services like video on demand or our interactive media guide (IMG).

These are actually perfect for connection to the myth box (since they are free) if they do get all of the channels. I may have to reconsider and go with investing in a new IRBlaster rather then a new QAM card. Ahh decisions decisions. Now I need to figure out how to make a serial IRBlaster and the PVR150 IRBlaster live in unity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:56 am 
Hm, thanks for the reply! If that's really true I'd be fine with getting a couple of the free boxes and save $5/mo and return the standard-def box I got from them.

You say you have two PVR-150s... can't you use both of their IR blasters rather than going serial blaster?

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... hSetTopBox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:11 am 
I checked out the 2 free Verizon boxes over the weekend and I do get all the digital channels (including channel 50 and above). The box is a DCT700 and responds to the same remote codes as the big box (DCT2500?) so my IRblaster files should be fine as is.

Only one of my PVR-150s has a IR plug. The other one (MCE I think) does not include it. I ordered a serial IRBlaster from IRBlaster.info over the weekend and will give that a try this week.

I currently have a $5 box connected to the one PVR-150 so I am going to do as you said and replace it. More channels and save $5 per month... it doesnt get much better then that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:54 am 
Talk about minimizing things... here's what Comcast.com says now >>

Quote:
Comcast has you covered in the switch to digital broadcast.

If all your TVs are currently connected to Comcast, you don't have to worry about a thing. When February 17, 2009 rolls around, you can just sit back, relax and keep watching your favorite shows.

Weird huh?

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:10 am 
Talk about minimizing things... here's what Comcast.com says now >>

Quote:
Comcast has you covered in the switch to digital broadcast.

If all your TVs are currently connected to Comcast, you don't have to worry about a thing. When February 17, 2009 rolls around, you can just sit back, relax and keep watching your favorite shows.

Weird huh?

I called comcast a few days ago and they told me that they will maintain analogue signals for 3-years beyond Feb, 2009. 20 minutes later I read an article online in which comcast said they would be reclaiming as much as 20% of their analogue bandwidth in 2008. Don't know what to think...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:41 am 
WOW! (my cable provider) seems to be doing the same thing. So I am set for now until I want to record HD.

Quote:
Q: If I am a WOW! customer with an analog TV, do I have to do anything?
A: At this time, WOW! does not have plans to remove analog broadcast signals from our channel line-up. As long as you have a cable connection (to the wall), or a set top box, either analog or digital, you will still receive the same programming you enjoy today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:42 am 
ceenvee703 wrote:
Comcast... probably want[s] to ditch analog asap but it'll be quicker in some areas than others.

So fast in fact that Comcast ditched analog in Chicago almost a year ago:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6433928.html

EDIT: actually, I guess it just ditched its extended basic analog channels... it was still transmitting local programming and a few cable channels in analog. So they didn't switch it completely off.

I cancelled comco$t two years ago so I'm a little off on the details, I believe that in the city limits analogue is basic service only. In the 'burbs I think its extended basic or standard.

I think their "plan" made sense when they were hatching it, but times have changed, people are getting tighter with their money If you are willing to put up with a box at EVERY tv then you can get dish or U-Verse for less money.

In 2008 the main advantage comcast has here is convenience, and analog is a big part of that convenience. How many people don't want a box on their kitchen counter? If they drop analog they will lose at least some customers, not a good thing right now.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next