View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:35 pm 
Ahhhh, I see. Is there an option in the receiver's menu system to choose SD over HD or vise versa. I assume the receiver's remote does the same thing? I've got an older receiver which is not HD capable. I looked on DirecTV's site but didn't find an owners manual online for their HD receivers.

Just a thought. I can't think of anything else right now.

Hauppauge PVR150
Iguana Works serial IR transceiver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:45 pm 
On your Directv receiver question:
No, there is no place to select a preference of HD channels over SD channels. I suppose since it is an HD tuner, it expects you'll want to watch the HD channel, and the SD channel is there as a secondary option.

On the scirpt concept:
I think if I can just add a couple of lines to the channel_change script that do:

IF channel sent = 355, then wait 1 second, and send channel-up button signal.

That would get me to the SD channel 355.

I'm not sure if the channel number gets sent to the script one digit at a time or as a number that I can test to see if that number is equal to a known channel like 355.

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:44 pm 
I had another productive chat with Greg Frost last night (my night, his morning)! Thanks Greg! :)

Greg gave me the correct syntax for the IF statement I needed to send a conditional channel-up button code when I switch to a known HD satellite channel that has an SD channel on the same Directv channel number. Greg also simplified the part of the script that pads the channel number with leading zeros. Now Mythtv is able to change channels to the correct satellite channels. My current channel_change.sh script looks like this.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# location /usr/local/bin/channel_change.sh

REMOTE_NAME=H23
cmd="$1"

# the following section pads the channel number with leading zeros and
# fixes the problem of having double digits in a channel number - somehow.

case $cmd in
    [0-9]*)

for digit in $(printf "%03d" $1 | sed -e 's/./& /g'); do
        irsend SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME $digit
        sleep 0.5
        # If things work OK with sleep 1, try this for faster channel changes:
        # sleep 0.3
    done

# the following section checks to see if the channel passing through the
# script is a channel where Directv has an HD and an SD channel on the
# same channel number.  If it is a known HD/SD channel, a channel-up
# button is sent to get to the SD channel.

if [ "$cmd" = "355" ] || [ "$cmd" = "244" ] || [ "$cmd" = "242" ] || [ "$cmd" = "249" ] || [ "$cmd" = "202" ] ; then
        irsend SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME enter
        sleep 0.5
        irsend SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME ch+
     fi

;;

*)
        irsend SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME $cmd
        ;;
esac

# make this script executable ---> chmod +x channel_change.sh

April 19 update:
During a recent tweak session, I found that I needed to send the ENTER button code before I did the Channel Up button to take me to the standard definition versions of the channels. After I figured that out, I was set to catch all the tv I wanted from the heavens!

Right now, I am pretty pleased. It was almost a year ago that I started trying to control the satellite receiver with Mythtv. Now the dream of perfection is reality! There is more tv I'd like to record on the satellite than I have free time to watch! Holy cow! :shock:

Important detail for Iguanaworks Serial IR transceiver users:

One of the last tweaks to get the satellite receiver to consistently receive the button codes being sent to it was to decrease the intensity of the infrared LED on the Iguanaworks IR blaster. The Iguanaworks circuit has a very small value for the LED current limiting resistor, so that the LED is bright and the signal can travel long distances. Well, apparently, it's too bright for short distances - with the LED 2-4 inches away from the satellite receiver. I found that if I used the circuit as shipped from Iguanaworks, the IR LED had to be about 6 feet or more from the satellite receiver before it could consistently read the button codes correctly! So, after I increased the value of the IR LED resistor R1 from 3 Ohms up to about 2500 Ohms, the satellite receiver had consistent, accurate reception of the sent button codes! Woooo hoooo!! :D :D

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Last edited by neutron68 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:40 pm 
Greg Frost wrote:
Read my post again. It is done differently if you have a serial reciever/blaster on the same port compared to if you have some other receiver (like the hauppauge) and a serial blaster.

In the first case, lirc can handle both with the one instance, so there is no need to bother with irblaster/irblasterd. In the second case you need two instances of lirc, one for the receiver (/dev/lirc0 and lircd) and one for the transmitter (/dev/irblaster and irblasterd).

Greg,

If I read you right, I should have one instance of LIRCD running. I have a transmitter (Blaster) and receiver on the same serial port. This present setup has not worked very reliable since I got it running; missed button pushes, failed channel changes, and regular need to exit the frontend and restart lircd.

If I issue ps –elf, the relevant parts are:

Code:
.../usr/sbin/lircd --device=/dev/lirc0 --output=/dev/lircd --listen
.../usr/sbin/lircd --device=/dev/lirc0 --output=/dev/lircd1 --connect=localhost 8765 --pidfile=/var/run/lircd1.pid

But you are saying that I only need one instance. Any suggestions , or pointers?

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:54 pm 
cfr131 wrote:
But you are saying that I only need one instance.

That's the way I run it. I have a serial IR blaster and receiver running from the same LIRC instance on the same serial port. As root run
Code:
lirc-reconfig.sh

After making the selection for serial receiver and choosing the port it asked if I had a blaster on the same port. Choose yes and that was all I had to do. Added both the blaster codes and receiver codes to /etc/lirc/lircd.conf Has been working great like that since R5E50.
I purchased my receiver and blaster from irblaster.info. Not wanting to mess with the nice job they did assembling them I made a "Y" cable out of and old back panel serial header and an old serial cable. Works great, never misses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:11 pm 
goofee wrote:
cfr131 wrote:
But you are saying that I only need one instance.

That's the way I run it. I have a serial IR blaster and receiver running from the same LIRC instance on the same serial port. As root run
Code:
lirc-reconfig.sh

After making the selection for serial receiver and choosing the port it asked if I had a blaster on the same port. Choose yes and that was all I had to do. Added both the blaster codes and receiver codes to /etc/lirc/lircd.conf Has been working great like that since R5E50.
I purchased my receiver and blaster from irblaster.info. Not wanting to mess with the nice job they did assembling them I made a "Y" cable out of and old back panel serial header and an old serial cable. Works great, never misses.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Would you tell what you get for lircd if you type ps -elf in a terminal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:47 pm 
Code:
$ ps -elf
1 S root      3416     1  0  80   0 -   740 429496 Feb21 ?        00:00:03 /usr/sbin/lircd --driver=default --device=/dev/lirc0

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3