View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:43 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
Lookin' good man. This thing will keep coming down in price I predict, and your hard work will make it easier for the rest of us slugs to get it going...
:P

I ordered a second hdpvr... Amazon has them in stock. My setup is running solid and I am using it to watch most of my typical day-to-day shows. If you take the leap, I think you will be pretty happy... but you have to want to tinker at this time. It's always hard to resist trying out the latest firmware and such. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:56 am 
nharris wrote:
akulcsar wrote:
Curious: do you have a separate frontend, or are your backend and frontend combined? What hardware do you have in your playback device?

I have three similar Dragon2 machines. One is a combined backend/frontend and the other two are frontends. Unfortunately, you need some modern CPU power to decode the HD-PVR streams and MythTV does not have any kind of cheap HD extender available (yet).

Still you don't say. Where do you have the Hauppauge HD-PVR connected to or in what configuration did you test it on?

I have a master backend server in a closet. Then I have a clients in the living room and bedroom. Do I need the horsepower in the server or the thin clients? Can I just leave the Hauppauge HD-PVR in the closet connected to the backend server?

I'm thinking the IR blaster should come from the backend server instead from the Hauppauge HD-PVR box if I were to have it in the master/client configuration. What do I do if I want more than 1 Hauppauge HD-PVR box?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:13 pm 
Antebios wrote:
Do I need the horsepower in the server or the thin clients? Can I just leave the Hauppauge HD-PVR in the closet connected to the backend server?

I don't have one yet, but I slept at a Holiday Inn once, so I feel qualified to answer this question...

The recording of HD streams is very easy. It takes almost no CPU time, and just a little disk bandwidth. A backend server could easily handle multiple HD streams. I have four HD sources in my combined frontend/backend machine and I can barely tell when they're recording.

Playback of HD is another matter. You need a bit of horsepower to play back the "normal" MPEG2-TS streams from over-the-air broadcasts. This box records in an even more dense format and requires even more horsepower from your playback machine. I have an AMD64x2 4800 in my system and it works OK for regular HD playback. I'm not sure if it will support the Hauppage HD-PVR format, however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:24 pm 
Antebios wrote:
Still you don't say. Where do you have the Hauppauge HD-PVR connected to or in what configuration did you test it on?

I have a master backend server in a closet. Then I have a clients in the living room and bedroom. Do I need the horsepower in the server or the thin clients? Can I just leave the Hauppauge HD-PVR in the closet connected to the backend server?

I'm thinking the IR blaster should come from the backend server instead from the Hauppauge HD-PVR box if I were to have it in the master/client configuration. What do I do if I want more than 1 Hauppauge HD-PVR box?

I do indeed say. Please read:

http://www.psicat.com/Nathan/KnoppMyth_HDPVR.html
http://mythic.tv/product_info.php?products_id=44
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_HD-PVR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:30 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
I have an AMD64x2 4800 in my system and it works OK for regular HD playback. I'm not sure if it will support the Hauppage HD-PVR format, however.

You just might be able to... if your record with VBR (the default now) at a mid-bitrate setting. But, I would still suggest going with the latest fastest multiple core CPU you can find.

BTW... nothing new to report on the HD-PVR. The new firmware release has been stalled for a while now. Everyone is waiting on the new firmware to fix some of the more annoying issues. That said, I have two HD-PVRs running on my backend right now and I'm using it daily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:55 pm 
Quote:
But, I would still suggest going with the latest fastest multiple core CPU you can find.

No. Cores don't help. The software decompression appears to be single-threaded. Frequency is the only thing that helps with the current decompression software. That's why this initiative (EDIT: The VDPAU) is so interesting - it steers the decompression to the GPU, which has hardware support for it. Until now, it's just been lacking a Linux driver!

Cheers,
/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB
FE3: Asus Eeebox410

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:28 pm 
I'm also running the nVidia VDPAU beta driver (with a new/cheap 9400 card) and my decode is now <10% for HD-PVR recordings. The latest VDPAU beta release is better than the last and now the one odd decode artifact I have noticed seems to be minimal or gone completely (I have not tested enough to tell for sure).

So, bring on the Intel Atoms with integrated nVidia 9xxx video for the next MythTV release.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3