View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:42 am 
I am looking at the MSI P6NG Neo-Digital motherboard over at neweggfor $75+shipping. It has on-board nvida 7100 video with HDMI, DVI and VGA outputs, 1394, gigabit networking. Does anyone have any experience with this MOBO. Also, generally speaking, have people had good or bad experience with MSI mobos and mythtv? THanks!

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:43 pm 
Wow. Can't say that I used MSI. But, please let us know if you get it and how it worked out for you. It looks like an interesting board with a nice set of onboard devices. I'm in the market for upgrading my knoppmyth box sometime this fall and that motherboard looks like a good candidate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:31 pm 
I found a posting somewhere where someone had used a micro-atx version of this mobo with mythtv with success, so I am fairly optimistic. My main concern is weather or not the ACPI wakeup stuff will work properly with this puppy...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:17 am 
It would be a crime if this board DIDN'T work.

I used to use a MSI K8N Neo4. (AMD-based) It was rock-solid under KM for a couple of years until the north bridge fan died. Apparantly BIOS didn't monitor the north bridge fan like it does the CPU fan, so there was no alarm; I could have run it for months with no fan.

Yours is fanless by design; which is quieter and would have prevented my problem altogether.

Audio over HDMI has been a bit tricky in Linux in general; I'm very curious if having all the parts integrated on the mobo makes this better. The mobo does have a header for a S/PDIF audio out; but none on the back panel. You may want to at least make sure you can get a jack for the header.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:14 am 
I've decided to go ahead and order the board. I'm also going to pick up an intel E8400 processor from Microcenter ($159). I was thinking of the E7200 for $99, as it has plenty of processing power, but it looks like the E7200 could require a bios upgrade, and I don't have a spare CPU I can put into the mobo to upgrade the bios. It will be a few weeks before I can try it all out, but I'll post the results once I'm done...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:53 pm 
What I'm interested in hearing is if a long(er) card (such as a pcHDTV 5500) in one of the PCI slots will block the SATA connectors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm 
FallNAngel wrote:
What I'm interested in hearing is if a long(er) card (such as a pcHDTV 5500) in one of the PCI slots will block the SATA connectors.

I have 3 tuner cards and none is longer that the PCI slot, so it probably won't be a problem for me. Might be a problem for others, although with 4 SATA ports, an IDE chain and 4 PCI slots, I suspect that you could probably juggle things so that everything will fit.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:34 pm 
Yeah, check out the pchdtv 5500 at www.pchdtv.com. It looks like it might block several of the sata ports :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:11 pm 
FallNAngel wrote:
Yeah, check out the pchdtv 5500 at www.pchdtv.com. It looks like it might block several of the sata ports :(

When the board arrives I will measure the distance from the back edge of the slot to the first SATA port so that you know how much clearance there is.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:54 pm 
I'm learning that it is unclear if XvMC will work on this IGP family. I have a 7025 (no PureVideo, Abit AN-M2) which definitely does NOT do XvMC, but I'm getting a 7050 (Abit AN-M2HD) which I thought DID support XvMC (because it has PureVideo). Now I'm learning that it may or may not do XvMC under Linux -- regardless of whether PV is on the card or not.

nVidia has really fscked up their product line. I really, really hope ATI gets their excrement together because it and Intel are getting all of the IGP business now. I can't find any new boards that use nVidia IGPs and now I'm starting to wonder -- why bother with nVidia when their cards don't do HD worth a cr@p under Linux?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:46 pm 
Liv2Cod, thanks for the heads-up. In my case it shouldn't matter as I'm not planning to use XVMC -- the E8400 has 2 3ghz cores. Given that my current Pentium d930 (also 2 3ghz cores) can do hidef w/ out XVMC, I'm sure the E8400 will have more than enough horsepower.

However, as a backup, I have an EVGA 7200 I picked up at fry's a few months ago when they were selling them "free after rebate"...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:20 pm 
I notice some "juddery" output using software playback on high-def sources. I thought I'd try XvMC to see if it does a better job on 3:2 pulldown of interlaced sources. It probably doesn't, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try.

OK, so I realize I'm probably a bit of a perfectionist, but I just can't get consistently good (read: perfect) high-def output using my setup. Sometimes the output is just stellar. Other times, panning the camera will produce horrible judders as the scene moves. I just want it to work!

Am I asking too much??

Anyway, let us know how the the new MSI works out. I've had good luck with the brand in the past. (Which is true of pretty much all brands but ECS or "EliteGroup".)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:34 pm 
Joe,

What are your hardware specs, what output resolution are you sending to your display and what deinterlacer are you user? My display is 720P and I've found that the only deinterlacer that will work with both telecined and interlaced material is the bob2x deinterlacer. Liner, kernel, etc., will all give you occasional problems on telecinded video, but will do fine with interlaced material.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:28 am 
Wow, 4 PCI slots on that MSI board. I should've gotten that one, except I don't see any optical out for audio. Other than that, its a killer board!

I'm running an AMD64 4800x2 processor w/2G RAM and more disk space than modesty allows me to say. I have two pcHDTV encoders and one HD Homerun, for four HD sources.

Playback doesn't really stress my box. I have a Pioneer RPTV that takes 1080i native on its VGA input connector. I have KM set up to display everything at 1080i as well. I've tried numerous deinterlace schemes. Bob2x doesn't hurt anything. Normal blend looks about the same. It looks OK for most sources, but 24 fps sources seem to bring on the judders.

Honestly, I think part of the problem is the myth devs. They keep fine-tuning the display part of the myth player and it alternately breaks interlaced playback depending on what they "improved" most recently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:49 am 
Liv2Cod wrote:
Wow, 4 PCI slots on that MSI board. I should've gotten that one, except I don't see any optical out for audio. Other than that, its a killer board!

Good point -- I hadn't noticed that it didn't have a digital out. Winds up I don't use the digital out on my existing setup, so that's not a fatal issue. Also, I think HDMI passes digital audio...

Quote:
Playback doesn't really stress my box. I have a Pioneer RPTV that takes 1080i native on its VGA input connector. I have KM set up to display everything at 1080i as well. I've tried numerous deinterlace schemes.

I don't think you should be deinterlacing things if you are driving the display at 1080i. Most displays will accept multiple input resolutions regardless of the native resolution -- are you actually driving it at 1080i?

Quote:
Bob2x doesn't hurt anything. Normal blend looks about the same. It looks OK for most sources, but 24 fps sources seem to bring on the judders.

24 fps material is telecined -- bob2x processes it properly, but using any of the "blends" (linear, kernel, etc.) will give you occasional judders.

Marc

Go to page 1, 2  Next