View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:29 pm 
I've been trying to fix a flaky mythbox, and I've finally found something that doesn't seem right, but I don't know how to fix it...

The latest ahhh-HA moment came when I finally booted from the KM 5.5 install disk and booted into memtest. I'm seeing dozens of single-bit errors at various locations.

I have a Athlon XP 64 4400+ and 2 sticks of DDR800 running on a GA-M57SLI-S4

Memtest shows the CPU running at 2312 MHz and the RAM running at 462MHz (DDR924) So the bit errors imply to me that I'm overclocking the RAM just a bit too much. Here's the rub. I'm not TRYING to overclock it.

I've gone into BIOS and selected "Load fail-safe defaults" but it still comes up like I described 2312 & 462. All the options on the "Tweaker" screen in BIOS are set to either "Auto" or "Default"

What am I missing? Please help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:46 am 
You may need to set the memory volts to the specification on the manufacturers website. For example, my Corsair memory is designed to run at 2.1 v, for some obscure reason if I use the 'auto' setting the BIOS, the mainboard undervolts the memory. Why this is the case, I have no idea. I think this is quite a common problem these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:09 pm 
tophee

Thanks! I think you at least put me on the right track.

<shame>When I bought the Mobo I didn't think about RAM; I just told the sales guy, "I need 2 Gigs too." and just blindly took what he gave me</shame>

The DIMMs are 2.2V. The specs for the Mobo say it wants 1.8V DIMMs. 0.4 Volts is quite a difference, what amazes me at this point is that the system works AT ALL.

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can still exchange the memory.

I NEVER would have thought to check the voltages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:00 pm 
FWIW - I tend to buy on-line, but I always check the MoBo or memory vendors compatibility lists before I do or go to the store. It's one of those things that pays back a small investment of time with huge reduction in potential grief.

tophee - Brilliant spot. I think that's today's "best obscure clue" winner... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:04 am 
You should have enough control to up the volts of your memory via the BIOS on your mainboard... Ignore what the auto says. It won't kill it. Memory loves volts (or so the enthusiasts say) That should sort it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:56 pm 
The Mobo thought the memory was supposed to be 1.8 instead of 2.2; when I told it to overvolt it by .4V it started to show "Failed" on the Health screen. While probably fine, I do tend to jump on excuses to run to the toystore. I've had this new system for a couple of months now, long enough that I was expecting a small hassle on the return; but Microcenter took them back without blinking.

I was able to get some Corsair sticks for 5 buck LESS than the others I had. It makes me wish I had remembered to file the rebate forms when I got the first set. :roll: Oh well. The new sticks are 1.9V, and the mobo will let let me feed it the extra .1V without complaint.

The system ran for a week or more before without hiccup, and would then crash very hard. So now the waiting game begins to see if this fixes it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:43 am 
I always get the feeling of deflation when these things don't "just work" like they should. Hope the new memory at the recommended volts works out for you. (And who said the stuff you learn when overclocking your gaming rig isn't useful. :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:23 am 
jmckeown2 wrote:
So now the waiting game begins to see if this fixes it...

So 19 days later, no hiccups from KM -- it's been totally stable. Just to be completely anal about it I ran a backup this morning, then rebooted from the KM 5.5 CD, and started memtest. It's run through everything at least twice 100% error free. Previously memory errors would start to display in the first 5-10 minutes. The Mobo is still running the new memory at 462MHz, but like I said, no errors.

I still don't understand how KM ran at all, eventually all the memory gets used. I still don't know if the voltage was the problem, or just defective DIMM(s). The second person I talked to at the store said, "I sell those sticks with that board all the time." So again, bad DIMMs, or does this sales person have a bunch of customers cursing the day they decided to DIY? I Don't know, and don't care anymore -cuz my system's lookin' good!

I'm happy and calling this one fixed.

Thanks again tophee!