View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:46 pm 
Zoinks! I've been looking for two days now trying to solve my issue of loading at boot the nvidia overscan settings needed to fully enjoy using MythTV. Instead of having to access a terminal and running "nvidia-settings --load-config-only" to employ the overscan upon every reboot, I found on the wiki (http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=NvidiaSetup) to place the code "nvidia-settings --load-config-only" in /home/mythtv/.fluxbox/apps . Alas, this seems not to work. :(

Also, I tried putting the nvidia-settings config in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc . I posted it here:

#!/bin/sh
# $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $

# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
#
# global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)

# invoke global X session script
. /etc/X11/Xsession
nvidia-settings --load-config-only &
. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

This seems not work as well.

I'm running R5.5 with an Nvidia 7200 with Svideo out on a Biostar TF8200 A2+ mobo. Without the overscan settings, there are horrible black squiggly bars on either side of the screen. Does anyone know how to remedy this? I would greatly appreciate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:37 pm 
You need to have the files in the right location and get the syntax right. Since you didn't provide those details...

The nvidia settings file should be under /home/mythtv like this.
Code:
root@black2:~# ls -al /home/mythtv/.nvidia-settings-rc
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 1123 Jul 10 01:15 /home/mythtv/.nvidia-settings-rc

Your fluxbox apps file should run nvidia settings as a start up option like this (note that mine has a few other things like xvnc trimmed out but the order is correct):
Code:
root@black2:~# cat /home/mythtv/.fluxbox/apps
[startup] {xset -dpms s off}
[startup] {xvattr -a XV_COLORKEY -v 0}
[startup] {nvidia-settings --load-config-only}
[startup] {KnoppMyth-run}
[startup] {launch_irx.sh}
[app] (SDL_App)
  [Layer]       {2}
  [Deco]        {NONE}
[end]

You should not be using & to have nvidia-settings run in the background, you should be using {} braces around the startup command, and you should not be editing the file from an MS-Windows box using notepad or the like since it can leave invalid line endings and other bad whitespace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:19 am 
Thanks tjc. I apologize if I did not provide as much detail as needed. As fun as tinkering with Linux is, it can also be very frustrating for us amateurs. I truly appreciate your feedback and clarification to guide my errant ways.

I ssh'd in, made the necessary changes, but upon reboot it is still not loading the nvidia settings. Here is what I did:

Code:
root@mythtv:~# ls -al /home/mythtv/.nvidia-settings-rc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 60 Sep  8 00:05 /home/mythtv/.nvidia-settings-rc

Then, I placed the line in /home/mythtv/.fluxbox/apps:

Code:
 GNU nano 2.0.2                                  File: /home/mythtv/.fluxbox/apps

[startup] {xset -dpms s off}
#[startup] {xscreensaver}
[startup] {nvidia-settings --load-config-only}
[startup] {KnoppMyth-run}
#Uncomment the below if you want to use a Wiimote
#[startup] {$HOME/wmd/mythtv_wiimote.sh}
[startup] {launch_irx.sh}
#Uncomment the below if you want to use VNC
[startup] {/usr/bin/x11vnc -nap -wait 50 -passwd mythtv -display :0 -forever -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -bg}
[app] (SDL_App)
  [Layer]       {2}
  [Deco]        {NONE}
[end]

This is what I had pretty much done before, even with the [] & {}. Does this look right to you, or anyone who may care to comment? I appreciate the help!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:32 pm 
You've got the wrong ownership on the /home/mythtv/.nvidia-settings-rc config file. As root run:
Code:
chown mythtv:mythtv /home/mythtv/.nvidia-settings-rc
pkill xinit

The first command corrects the ownership, the second causes the X server and display manager to be restarted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:55 am 
I changed the ownership, but it still is not loading at boot. Could it be that the nvidia-settings file is wrong? Here it is:

Code:
root@mythtv:~# cat /home/mythtv/.nvidia-settings-rc
0/XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank=0
0/XVideoBlitterSyncToVBlank=0

Again, I'm not sure if that is showing the proper overscan setting. When I bring up nvidia-settings, my overscan is still set at 19, and it loads as soon as I run it. It is my understanding that it saves when you quit it. Hmmm.... I'm getting perplexed on this one. Maybe, I should go back to the pvr350 out instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:58 pm 
No, that's the minimal generated one which is supposed to prevent CPU hogging by the driver (see the R5.5 Hints for more on this). Do you have another one somewhere? Maybe under the /root directory? It should auto-save when run it as mythtv the first time and quit. Try moving that one and running it manually.

- Open a shell session as the mythtv user by hitting Alt-X at the front end.
- Move the old file out of the way:
Code:
mv .nvidia-settings-rc .nvidia-settings-rc.saved

- Run the settings command to recreate the config file:
Code:
nvidia-settings

- Make whatever changes you want and then quit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:01 pm 
Voila! That did the trick tjc! Hopefully this will help some other poor sap struggling to conquer Knoppmyth. Thank you very much, from me and my wife, especially since I'll be gone until Thanksgiving as of tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:56 pm 
Check those two vblank settings, especially if you see the CPU usage go to 100% and stay there. See the R5.5 Hints for more details on this.