View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:45 pm 
My system suddenly won't power on. I've made no recent changes lately. I just came home to a powered off system. The power indicator LED on the case (signifying that the PC is plugged in, not that it is necessarily powered on) is lighting up. If I push on the power button, the motherboard fan, CPU fan, and power supply fans start to spin and then stop. If I connect the power jumpers on the motherboard, I can make them spin constantly. The system doesn't even try to power up. There is no noise and the hard drives do not start to spin up.

If I keep hitting the power button, eventually even the CPU and motherboard fans will even not start up. If I flick the switch on the back of the power supply to off and then wait a few seconds and turn it back on, I can get back to the point where the CPU and motherboard fans spin for a little again. If I keep doing that, eventually they stop spinning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:53 pm 
Sounds like power supply. Hard to find (older) power supplies can be found at www.geeks.com at a low cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:48 pm 
For what it is worth, I just went through your exact situation. I bought a new low power PS from newegg and hooked it all up to find that the new PS had no effect. Back to newegg for a new Motherboard and CPU.

I never did try the old PS on the new mother board so I am not sure if there ever was anything wrong with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:04 pm 
I assume the answer is no, but do you have a used PS you can swap in to see if it'll boot up? The few times I've been in that situation, I was able to diagnose it that way.